Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Nativity on Wheels! PA Community Battles Atheist Complaints...

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:18 PM
  • 78 Replies
2 moms liked this

Nativity on Wheels! PA Community Battles Atheist Complaints With Display of Jesus’ Birth on Platform in Front of City Hall

Secularists battling against nativities is nothing new, but 2012 has brought some major victories for atheists. Consider Santa Monica, California, where a 60-year nativity tradition has been banned; other communities have backed down over fears that Christian themes will be legally challenged by groups like the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) as well.

But — believers are getting smart and fighting back with some creative methods of navigating around church versus state disagreements.

TheBlaze already told you about the Santa Monica work-around: Christians will stage a live nativity, as only unattended displays were banned from the Palisades Park. Now, a community in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, has found it’s own solution to a potential atheist-led lawsuit against a display in front of a local municipal building.

KDKA-TV has more about the alternative nativity plan that is being waged in an effort to avoid a lawsuit led by the FFRF:

One group in Ellwood City has found a creative way to circumvent a potential lawsuit by displaying a nativity scene in front of the municipal building.

Instead, they’re going to put it on a truck.

The Beaver County Times reports that the Moose lodge is going to park a trailer carrying a nativity scene in front of the building.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation, based out of Wisconsin, threatened to sue the borough if it did not remove the creche.

Last year, after the FFRF first threatened to sue, so the city council, afraid of legal ramifications, moved the nativity to private property — on land in front of a former church. However, residents have been discontented with this decision. In response, they’ve decided to park a new nativity on the street right in front of the government building.

Ellwood City Puts Nativity in Front of City Hall on Platform

Photo Credit: WKBN-TV

“It belongs here at city hall because it does not infringe upon our First Amendment rights, in no way, shape, or form,” explained Karen Figurel, a local resident.

The nativity rolled up in front of city hall on Thursday night on an eight-foot by eight-foot trailer.

“I’d rather die standing up for what I believe in than just standing back and watching nothing happen,” added Mike Parisi, a Moose Lodge organizer.

So, for the time being, it appears the Christians have won.

Read more about the nativity battle here.

(theblaze)

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imamomzilla
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:19 PM
2 moms liked this

So, for the time being, it appears the Christians have won.

dancing

jcrew6
by Jenney on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Did you read, 

The Santa Monica tradition of Nativity scenes during the Christmas season will continue, but on private property.

Since 1953, the city has allowed a Christmas Nativity scene to be erected in Palisades Park. That ended last year when the city got in the middle of the ongoing dispute between churches and atheists over whether the Nativity scenes belong on public land.

When atheists overwhelmed the city's auction process for display sites, winning 18 of 21 slots and triggering a bitter dispute, the city banned private, unattended displays at the park.

On Thursday, a Los Angeles federal judge dismissed a Christian group's lawsuit to force Santa Monica to reopen spaces for the displays. The decision was expected to be appealed.

Committee said it will move the display to the 2700 block of Ocean Park Boulevard, between Clover Park and 28th Street.

i think it's great that the private community and other non-governmental organizations are getting involved.  

jcrew6
by Jenney on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM
4 moms liked this

Do you remember when atheists sued a restaurant for giving church-goers a discount? 

Discrimintion?  No.  Petty and pathetic atheists? Yes. 

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM
2 moms liked this

I’d rather die standing up for what I believe in than just standing back and watching nothing happen,” added Mike Parisi, a Moose Lodge organizer.

Oh my...are the zealots getting all foamy at the mouth about a made up battle really expecting fatalities in the War on Christmas?

This is absurd. Get a hobby, buddy.

Momniscient
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM
4 moms liked this
Nothing says love of Christ like petulant temper tantrums and dancing sweet peas lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cableknit
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM
3 moms liked this
Lmao. War on Christmas.

Christmas is the LEAST endangered holiday I have ever seen.

Coming from someone who celebrates it lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
one_on_the_way
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM
3 moms liked this

You know, some Christians find it offensive that there are displays on public property.  Why?  Because some Christians actually care about ALL people -- not just people who are Christian.  They care about their neighbors who have different beliefs, and find it UNNECESSARY for PUBLIC property to favor one religion over another it its displays.  

Why was it 'not good enough' for the Nativity Scene to be on display in front of a Church (you know, a place where it actually makes SENSE to have a display like that)?

shannonnigans
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Well said. Most consumer-driven, least endangered. Money always talks...

Seems even less endangered when this atheist, me, is probably going to go get her tree tonight, as she does every year. And I'm hardly the only one.

Quoting cableknit:

Lmao. War on Christmas.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
one_on_the_way
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Quoting jcrew6:

Do you remember when atheists sued a restaurant for giving church-goers a discount? 

Discrimintion?  No.  Petty and pathetic atheists? Yes. 

There's a restaurant in my town that gives discounts for people who proclaim they are atheists.  

cableknit
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM
same!! No one here is religious at all and we have a Christmas tree that's about 9 feet tall lol.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Well said. Most consumer-driven, least endangered. Money always talks...

Seems even less endangered when this atheist, me, is probably going to go get her tree tonight, as she does every year. And I'm hardly the only one.

Quoting cableknit:

Lmao. War on Christmas.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN