Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Military Wives Go Bare for PTSD (VIDEO) Would you Battle Bare if you were in their shoes?

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

Military Wives Go Bare for PTSD (VIDEO)

Posted by Lindsay Ferrier on December 7, 2012

Battling Bare

Military wife and mom Ashley Wise was tired of struggling in silence as she and her children dealt with her husband's post-traumatic stress disorder following his deployments.

So she decided to do something that would get everyone's attention.

Check out our Moms Matter video featuring Ashley's story after the jump, and tell us in the comments what you think!

Moms Matter also held a Google Hangout yesterday with four more military wives and moms who had plenty to say about mental health and the military. Check it out:

As a reporter first in Columbia, South Carolina, then in Nashville, Tennessee, I covered military bases as part of my general assignment beat and always had a really hard time getting spouses of men in the military to speak publicly on any subject. They are a close-knit community, afraid to embarrass their husbands or their base by going public with anything that might be construed as criticism.

I'm glad that social media seems to be changing things in the military community. Between blogs, Twitter, and Facebook, military spouses are getting and giving support and speaking out, anonymously or not, about the problems they face. When it comes to PTSD in particular, this kind of online support seems incredibly helpful for these women. It is so important for them to realize that they are FAR from alone.

Check out Battling Bare's Facebook page for more information on how to get help for PTSD, or just to support the cause.

And Blue Star Families is a great resource for military families as well.

What do you think of Ashley Wise's story? Would you Battle Bare if you were in her shoes?

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I have seen many of these and think they are Beautiful :-)

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM

As for myself...  Yes I would Battle Bare

AlekD
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:53 PM
The last time this made the rounds on cm I got bashed pretty hard but, suffice to say, no. I would donate money to a more established ptsd charity.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I think this is absolutely wonderful.

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this
As a military Mom of a son who has declared he fears he might have PTSD, I think any attention brought to spouses to aid in the recognition of this devastating disorder is helpful and worthwhile.

And yes, if doing it would encourage my son to seek help, I would in a heartbeat. I applaud CM for reporting on Ashley's story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imamomzilla
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM

There's a member here who did it. Takes the kind of courage I don't possess.

Happy they're bringing awareness and wish them luck.

blues_pagan
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I posted this when they first came out

http://www.cafemom.com/group/115890/forums/read/17460800/OT_Military_Wives_Go_Topless_For_PTSD

And I also want to add that they now have a sister group that battles Military sexual trauma.  It is called Stripped.

https://www.facebook.com/WeAreStripped?fref=ts 

emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM

i support anything that brings attention to soldiers and their battle with PTSD. I almost lost my cousin to it. thankfully, we got him help before it was too late

PeeperSqueak
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I agree

Quoting AlekD:

The last time this made the rounds on cm I got bashed pretty hard but, suffice to say, no. I would donate money to a more established ptsd charity.

sherry132
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:50 AM

I think this is great. But that man in that video that says 15 weeks and your done, is a liar. We are now 4 years, 3 months, and 17 days into treatment. For my husband, it is a life sentence. He has been rated 40% disabled because of PTSD. 

Only three weeks ago, I was told this is as good as it's going to get. 

I think battling bare is wonderful. I just wanted to put out there, what he said, it's not always the case. For some, it's always and forever a battle that can never be escaped. 

My children and I are in Ashley's shoes. Will I take my clothes off and write all over myself, no. But I do support what she is doing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN