Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

There is no war on Christmas

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:10 PM
  • 239 Replies
2 moms liked this

Mainly due to the fact that this entire month is dedicated to many different types of winter celebrations which just so happens to include Christmas.  

And for those who complain that they are trying to take your Christmas trees away and your decorations away...well no one is.  They simply don't want it in public places like court houses.  

And for those who may not know, the Christmas that you celebrate was banned by the Church because of it's original roots.

Dating back centuries before Christ, cultures brought evergreen trees, plants, and leaves into their homes upon the arrival of the winter solstice, which occurs in the northern hemisphere between December 21st and 22nd. Although the specific practices were different in each country and culture, the symbolization was generally the same: to celebrate the return of life at the beginning of winter's decline.

Egyptians particularly valued evergreens as a symbol of life's victory over death. They brought green date palm leaves into their homes around the time of the winter solstice.

Romans had a public festival called Saturnalia, which lasted one week beginning on December 17th, and included a variety of celebrations around the winter solstice. Curiously, the Roman winter solstice was marked on December 25th on the Julian calendar. These celebrations are thought to have merged with pagan practices of hanging mistletoe and the burning of the Yule log.

In Britain, the Yule log was originally seen as a magical amulet, and eventually made it into the hand's of Father Christmas. In Italy the Yule log is still burned for the "Festa di Ceppo". In Catalonia, the log is wrapped in a blanket until Christmas Eve, when it's unwrapped and burned for the custom of "fer cagar el tio". And in Serbia, families bring the Yule log (known as a "badnjak") into their homes on Christmas Eve to be burned along with prayers to God to bring happiness, luck, and riches.

Druid priests in Great Britain also used evergreen plants and mistletoe in pagan ceremonies, and the mistletoe plant was the symbol of the birth of a god. Celtic Druids and Norseman of Scandinavia also used mistletoe in a mysterious ceremony just after the winter solstice.

In the mid 1500's, Germans began using evergreen trees as a symbol of hope for the coming of spring. This practice is likely to have gradually evolved from pagan rituals of past, and merged with the celebration of Christmas leading to the tree's Christian beginnings.

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cbk_mom3
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM
9 moms liked this

Yes, yes, yes. We ALL know that us "terrible Christians" "stole" Christmas. But, as Christians, we don't celebrate WHEN Jesus, our Lord and Savior was born, we celebrate THAT He was born, and the reason why. We could celebrate Christmas on August 3rd, and it would make no difference, since as I said, that DATE of His birth is inconsequential, and the importance is the fact that He came to earth to do for us what we are unable to do for ourselves- save our souls and give us eternal life in Heaven with Him. The rest of it, I couldn't care less about.

PeeperSqueak
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM
4 moms liked this

You are awesome cbk mom !

Love this !

Quoting cbk_mom3:

Yes, yes, yes. We ALL know that us "terrible Christians" "stole" Christmas. But, as Christians, we don't celebrate WHEN Jesus, our Lord and Savior was born, we celebrate THAT He was born, and the reason why. We could celebrate Christmas on August 3rd, and it would make no difference, since as I said, that DATE of His birth is inconsequential, and the importance is the fact that He came to earth to do for us what we are unable to do for ourselves- save our souls and give us eternal life in Heaven with Him. The rest of it, I couldn't care less about.

cbk_mom3
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:03 PM
3 moms liked this

Thanks peeps! You're pretty awesome yourself! Love ya!

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

You are awesome cbk mom !

Love this !

Quoting cbk_mom3:

hockytwndhampyr
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I guess my church might be doing something wrong since we have all sorts of evergreen, etc hanging around our church. And from what I've seen in most churches here in Michigan, most don't seem to care about the original origins of Christmas, we celebrate because of Jesus coming to earth to eventually die on the cross so that we may have forgiveness of our sins and have eternal life with him.
That being said, I do agree that there is no war on Christmas. Some people just want to think there is. SMH
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
doomshroom
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:25 PM
10 moms liked this
It's like Christians feel disrespected because they're getting equal treatment when they're used to superior treatment.

It's as if they're being disrespected because everyone else is being shown respect. Just saying "Happy Holidays" has become offensive. All of the sudden, including everyone else is perceived as excluding them. It's ridiculous.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlemoments99
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM
4 moms liked this

I think there is a war on everything Christian. Christians are always the first to be told to be silent. We are the first to be yelled at and called bigits. We were told by Jesus that we would be persecuted and we are. So, of course there is a war on Christmas. They try to take it out of everything political and out of the public eye. They want to silence Christians. 

They say people can get insulted for saying "Under God" in the pledge of Allegiance. They took out prayer in public school. We are always under attack for everything. There's a war and there always has been, always will be. We have to be ready and willing to fight for our rights and for God. 

crazycat4226
by New Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM
7 moms liked this

I am going to stay with saying Merry Christmas! and I am PROUD to say it! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

blues_pagan
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM
5 moms liked this

Here is the thing...

I could care less that you all use evergreens and trees in your celebration.  That is the beauty of many of the Pagan rituals they are very elastic in this way.  They can fit anything.  

What I do have an issue with is Christians sitting around and saying that they are being persecuted when you really are not.  Starting in the 50's there was a big push to put everything moral and Christian into our society.  It was heavily pushed mainly to combat the religionless Communist Soviet.  

As time progressed and the USSR dissolved the need for this to be a country that represented all that was holy and moral started to dissipate.  With that more and more people started realizing that what was happening was infringing on the Establishment Clause.  This brings us to now.  Those of us who want religion itself out of the public sector don't want to make it go away entirely.  Instead we want an all or none sort of deal.  Either the government and public places represent all faiths or they represent no faiths.  How that became a war on Christians and Christmas I am very curious to find out.

blues_pagan
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Blessed Yule to you!

Quoting crazycat4226:

I am going to stay with saying Merry Christmas! and I am PROUD to say it! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Dzyre1115
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:39 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree, there isn't a war on Christmas, it's a war on Christianity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)