Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Senator Calls MTV Show a Travesty

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you think about shows like these? (and the fact that MTV asked NJ to subsidize Jersey Shore)

TRENDING: Senator calls MTV show a 'travesty'

December 8th, 2012
01:59 PM ET
CloseShare this on:

Senator calls MTV show a 'travesty'

Posted by

(CNN) - "Whatever happens, happens."

That's the motto of the cast of the new MTV show "Buckwild," which has drawn the eye of a U.S. senator.

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Sen. Joe Manchin, D-West Virginia, described "Buckwild" as a "travesty" in a letter to the television network.

"This show plays to ugly, inaccurate stereotypes about the people of West Virginia," he wrote.

Appalachian party animals bring together booze, brawls and backwoods, filling the void left by "Jersey Shore," the MTV hit that is going off the air after six seasons. On the characters' agenda: "throwing a dump truck pool party" and "building their own human slingshot," the show's website says.

Manchin called for the network to cancel the show, which is set to begin airing in January.

MTV had no comment on the request.

"Let me tell you: our people have given their all for this great country," Manchin wrote of his fellow West Virginians. "They've done the heavy lifting to produce the energy that is needed to produce the steel that builds our factories and cities. The proud veterans of our state have shed more blood and made more sacrifices than most other states to keep America free. We're proud of all we do to make America strong and secure the cherished freedoms that you seem so determined to abuse."

"Jersey Shore" also drew objections from political leaders in the Garden State.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie vetoed tax credits for the show approved by a state economic development board in 2011, saying, "As chief executive I am duty-bound to ensure that taxpayers are not footing a $420,000 bill for a project which does nothing more than perpetuate misconceptions about the State and its citizens."

- CNN's Rachel Wells and Stephanie Goldberg contributed to this report

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Replies (11-19):
Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM

True dat. Honey Boo Boo anyone?

Quoting PamR:

Reality shows tend to deal in stereotypes, don't they?

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Agreed. MTV has found a niche here and they're going to exploit it all the way to the bank. Clearly, there's a market.

I do take issue with the arrogance of MTV actually asking NJ for money. Jersey Shore, the show, is so contrary to the Jersey Shore I remember. And "Guido" was an insult. It was the Italian version of the N-word.

Quoting shannonnigans:

I agree with his tastes; however, you can't tell MTV to cancel it simply because you find it trashy.

And I have to admit, this dump truck pool party thing intrigues me - anyone want to fill this West Coast chick in on what that is?

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Jersey Shore showed Italians behaving well...like a stereotype of Italians, drinking, fighting, stupid.

"Buckwild"..stereotype of..redneck? (haven't seen it just taking a stab)..same with "Here comes Honey BooBoo"..

The "Housewives" series, stereotype of rich, snooty women,drunk, implanted, planning their next $500K party.

I'm not really sure how to say it, , but, if it's offensive and not PC to call someone a redneck and tease and talk about their lifestyle and habits. Would this not pertain to super rich women (albeit behaving badly) and Italians (stupid..fighting) etc...

How is it PC to show them on TV?

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I don't understand your question.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

\If reality shows are stereotypical of a certain "genre" of people, how is portraying them...politically correct?

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting PamR:

And isn't it NOT PC to make fun of those stereotypes? I mean, are we NOT supposed to be stereotyping people?

I'm just throwing it out there for conversation and a different talking point.

IMHO, if you don't like it, don't watch it. Seems simple enough to me.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM
Are you suggesting that,I watch these shows? I honestly don't get your PC angle. These shows aren't PC. I don't watch them.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting PamR:

And isn't it NOT PC to make fun of those stereotypes? I mean, are we NOT supposed to be stereotyping people?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JustCJ
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I can't pull my eyes away from a train wreck.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Aren't all of the, "reality shows", on MTV and any other network a travesty?  Isn't that what makes the sick public watch them?

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:32 AM
Is that the appeal?

Quoting JustCJ:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Aren't all of the, "reality shows", on MTV and any other network a travesty?  Isn't that what makes the sick public watch them?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JustCJ
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:48 AM

I was being facetious. But I'm assuming yes that's the appeal. My husband and I were just talking about this Friday or Saturday night when we saw it on the news.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Is that the appeal?

Quoting JustCJ:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM

OMG I wasn't suggesting anything. That's what I'm saying these shows aren't PC and if our country is in such a PC 'push'...doesn't seem to go together..whatev..

People watch them fine for them. I don't pay much mind to any of them. The only one I have issue with is "16 and Pregnant" IMHO, it sensationalizes being pregnant at 16. Which is the last thing being pregnant at 16 is.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Are you suggesting that,I watch these shows? I honestly don't get your PC angle. These shows aren't PC. I don't watch them.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting PamR:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN