Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

A Child Dies - A Look at the Dehumanization of Life in Abortion

Posted by   + Show Post

Rev. Robert Fleischmann, Christian Life Resources National Director
Clearly Caring Magazine-Home Edition, 1st Quarter 2011, Vol. 31, No. 1

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, the movement to legalize abortion focused on two primary arguments:

1. No agreement could be reached on when life begins;
2. Women should have “control” over their own bodies.

The movement’s first argument was particularly troubling as it noted no historical consistency of agreement from the medical or religious community about when life begins.

Years later, the abortion-rights community went to great lengths to dehumanize what a woman carried in her womb during a pregnancy. The terms to describe a human being were replaced with such words as:

1. Products of conception;
2. Parasite;
3. Inanimate mass of material;
4. Part of the woman’s body;
5. Blob of tissue.

Along with such dehumanizing phrases the abortion community turned to Latin or medical terminology to describe what happens in the womb. They never spoke of a “baby” in the womb but rather a blastocyst, embryo and fetus.

The late Dr. Bernard Nathanson (d. February 21, 2011), an instrumental player in the early movement to legalize abortion and an abortionist who said he presided over 75,000 abortions, later became a converted pro-life advocate. He indicated when abortion advocates first strategized on a way to make abortion more acceptable to society, they agreed to avoid the use of the word “abortion.” Marketing experts suggested a focus on “choice,” a term accepted by and still associated with the abortion movement today.

When challenged about the “life of the child” in 1974 hearings before a committee of the House of Representatives on a proposed Human Life Amendment to the Constitution, abortion-rights leaders argued again that no universal acceptance could be reached about the beginning of the “life of the child” in the womb. The impression clearly left in the hearings was that, if an agreement could have been reached, they would have accepted that the life of the child should be given protection.

A lot has changed since then. Consider the following:

Feminist and abortion-rights advocate, Naomi Wolf , wrote the following:

“Clinging to a rhetoric about abortion in which there is no life and no death, we entangle our beliefs in a series of self-delusions, fibs and evasions. And we risk becoming precisely what our critics charge us with being: callous, selfish and casually destructive men and women who share a cheapened view of human life… What McCorvey and other Americans want and deserve is an abortion-rights movement willing publicly to mourn the evil – necessary evil though it may be – that is abortion… the pro-lifeslogan, ‘Abortion stops a beating heart,’ is incontrovertibly true.”

The issue surfaced again in 2008 when abortion-rights supporter Camille Paglia  wrote the following:

“I have always frankly admitted that abortion is murder, the extermination of the powerless by the powerful. Liberals for the most part have shrunk from facing the ethical consequences of their embrace of abortion, which results in the annihilation of concrete individuals and not just clumps of insensate tissue.”

Most recently, the reality of death through abortion came from Francis Kissling, the head of the unfortunately-named Catholics for Choice:

“We can no longer pretend the fetus is invisible. We can no longer seek to banish the state from our lives, but rather need to engage its power to improve women’s lives. We must end the fiction that an abortion at 26 weeks is no different from one at six weeks… The fetus is more visible than ever before, and the abortion-rights movement needs to accept its existence and its value. It may not have a right to life, and its value may not be equal to that of the pregnantwoman, but ending the life of a fetus is not a morally insignificant event.”

Scripture never entitles another individual to terminate a human life – born or unborn – without God’s permission. In abortion it is not the removal of tissue or the jettisoning of an indistinct organic mass of material; in abortion, a baby dies. It is a biological fact. It is a medical fact. It is a Scriptural fact. The fact that history seems fuzzy is a testimony of the depravity of the human race that wants to supplant God’s authority over life and death with the murky concept of personal autonomy.

www. christianliferesources .com/article/a-child-dies-a-look-at-the-dehumanization-of-life-in-abortion-1435

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Replies (101-110):
chloedee
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

When I was young the class as a whole was able to pray together, the athiest sat quietly and waited till we were thru....no prob.  There were Bible Study classes for those that wanted to participate after school was finished.  That's all gone.  Many schools don't allow the teacher to bring their own Bible to read. It's not to be in sight.........As a "true Christian" I would think you would know you can pray all day, He's always there with you......: )

Why would the class need to be led in prayer or have religious texts read to them? And I'm assuming you mean Christian prayer, because I somehow doubt you'd be okay with your children being led in any other type.

In your ideal world with prayer in schools, would all teachers have to be Christian?

Students are free to pray by themself and to join relgious clubs/associations, they are just not forced to be preached at or indoctinated while attending public school.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

When I was young the class as a whole was able to pray together, the athiest sat quietly and waited till we were thru....no prob.  There were Bible Study classes for those that wanted to participate after school was finished.  That's all gone.  Many schools don't allow the teacher to bring their own Bible to read. It's not to be in sight.........As a "true Christian" I would think you would know you can pray all day, He's always there with you......: )

Quoting 1Giovanni:

How is God taken out of Public Schools. Can they get in your child or your brain and make you not to pray? In our liberal town my son still prays in school. He even is allowed to speak about God. Only the teachers can't pray with the kids nor tell their belief. That is not taking God out of schools. Prayer should only be between you and God in the first place unless you are at church or home. 

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

God was taken out of the Public Schools and then all hell broke loose : (

Quoting gsprofval:

Just a thought--whatever happened to morals, values, and self respect?

Damned atheists not wanting to have to sit through prayers in a public school.

SMH

chloedee
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

Wow....you don't seem to have much confidence in the human race. SMH.

It's very interesting and telling that you spout out vague, condescending remarks like this one and don't engage, debate or back up any actual points!

imamomzilla
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Damned Trolls stirring the pot..........SMH

1Giovanni
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I prayed for my kids and everyone else connected to them also. Things happen to everyone's life that sometimes takes them on another Road for now. This might be the better road for him, not me to say. The reason why my son lost faith was when he was 16. His bf had a little sister that had cancer. She was sweet little girl. The issue was her family. They told him that she would be saved unless there was a doubter around them. They prayed over her for 3 days straight on her last days. When she died, he lost faith. She of all people should had been saved, he thought. I told him all of the Christian sayings, "IT was her time to go." It was probably better for her now she is with GOd and no pain." but those saying didn't help him because she wasn't there anymore. He was told by everyone if they believed and prayed hard enough she would live.

The day she died Dec. 28, 2009 was the day Jacob stop believing. That was the day his life went down hill fast. I prayed for him, to find peace. He has found peace, but just not the religion I wish he did. 

I know this is off topic but I did pray. Just that God had other things in mind then what i wanted. This might be the road God wants him to be on for now, doesn't mean he will not go back on the road to God when the time is right.

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

I pray I never have to come to that to find out..........I've prayed for each of them since I found out that I was pregnant. Not only that, I've prayed for their friends, spouses, spouses family, children, children's children.....and so on.

My oldest dd recently married a Christian and his family is just so awesome !  Prayers have been answered.........can hardly wait for some grandchildren : )

Quoting 1Giovanni:

If your children chose to follow another religion you wouldn't be proud of them? I really not sounding rude, but my son is now a buddhist and I am still proud of him. He also is a great adult. He was on the wrong road but since he started to follow the Buddhist ways, his life is back on track and he is doing very well. Do I wish he chose to Follow my beliefs of course, but he didnt' and I am still proud of him. 

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

One can never get too much God anywhere ; )

Good thing is my children and I have the same God : ) they are all Christian, pro-life and the best bunch of kids you've ever seen : ) I'm proud of each one !

Quoting mikiemom:

lol - what your kids don't get enough of your God at home?

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

God was taken out of the Public Schools and then all hell broke loose : (

Quoting gsprofval:

Just a thought--whatever happened to morals, values, and self respect?

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Apart from the fact that I think the term "scriptural fact" is an oxy moron, I think this is a pretty thoughtful piece of writing. And I bet there's some truth there regarding the pro-choice movement and it's use of wording.

I don't rely on whether or not the fetus is a life for my views on abortion.  I just simply do not believe there is a legally recognizable right to live until there is -- at the very least -- viability outside the womb (and even that, to me is debatable, but I don't think there is an argument for a legal right to live unti viability).

I think there's a moral issue involved in abortion, and I leave it to others to debate it.

For me, it's really about the legal right to live for a fetus, and I just don't think there is one until s/he can live without using the mother's body. Until then, a woman's right to her own body trumps the fetus's right to live.

jonnlilithsmom
by Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

you complain about the dehumanization of the fetus, but how about the dehumanization of the woman who carries the fetus?

women are not incubators

women are human beings, and have the right to decide what happens in, with and to their own bodies, regardless of YOUR religious convictions or morals.

Period.

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I think it depends on the area.  It doesn't seem to be too difficult in my area, but then we're pretty gay friendly here, and just made gay marriage legal.  I know it's pretty difficult in certain areas.

Quoting viv212:

And it's a little harder for gay cours don't you think?

Quoting kailu1835:

I'm not sure how you figure that.  I know several straight couples who gave up trying to adopt after 5, 10, and in one case 15 years.

Quoting viv212:

A lot of them will be gay couples though. I can see these pro-lifers Christians fighting against that though.

Quoting kailu1835:

I think more prolifers would adopt if the state would let them.  There are plenty of willing couples who would make wonderful parents, but they get tired of jumping through all of the hoops.  Most of those people end up adopting out of country.

Quoting _Kissy_:

Prolifers should be made to adopt.

babiesbabybaby development

viv212
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Sorry I know you knew that. I was on the treadmill and accidentally hit "add reply".

It's in quotations because it's stressed highly by pro-choicers you say... Don't you think that is a keyword here? Women did not have a choice then.

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

Yes....I know.  I believe it's because it's stressed so often from pro-aborts.

Quoting viv212:

I meant in the article.

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

I think because it's stressed so often

Quoting viv212:

Why is the word 'control' in quotation marks?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PeeperSqueak
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly..........it looks to be ring around the rosey now.  Have to much going on right now to play.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Damned Trolls stirring the pot..........SMH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN