Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

he snapped

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM
  • 51 Replies
Because she had filed to have him committed, according to these new articles. Sorry on mobile.

http://m.nypost.com/p/news/local/school_gunman_psychiatric_lanza_hmU0Sl1Skq3MqZTcmEdIMJ

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/18/fear-being-committed-may-have-caused-connecticut-madman-to-snap/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM

She didn't need to "file". All she needed to do is call 911 for 5150 - an emergency involuntary psychiatric hold. The person is given a thorough evaluation, and the court decides what happens next. 

DawnPratt23
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:32 PM
I wonder if she knew that? From what I've read, the courts said the documents are sealed. Why?? No need for them to be sealed now. What red tape was she up against to get help.

Quoting SallyMJ:

She didn't need to "file". All she needed to do is call 911 for 5150 - an emergency involuntary psychiatric hold. The person is given a thorough evaluation, and the court decides what happens next. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

This is bogus. There is no red tape on 72 hour holds - This is a national policy.

And besides, this woman got $350,000 alimony every year from her ex. She could have walked her son through the system, paying cash - let alone the fact that she would have had him on her insurance until he was 26.

There are so many tragic things about this event. If he had gotten the right help, and perhaps have been institutionalized if needed, this tragedy probably would not have happened.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

I wonder if she knew that? From what I've read, the courts said the documents are sealed. Why?? No need for them to be sealed now. What red tape was she up against to get help.

Quoting SallyMJ:

DawnPratt23
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:45 PM
I only posted what the news reported. And I'm not sure if you legally can have someone committed without a court order, just because they seem dangerous. We had someone hanging out around my kids bedroom Windows who is on drugs and mentally unstable. Took me 2 months of calling cops before he moved. I don't think he is locked up, a matter of time before he hurts a kid, but the cops said there was nothing they could do.

Quoting SallyMJ:

This is bogus. There is no red tape on 72 hour holds - This is a national policy.

And besides, this woman got $350,000 alimony every year from her ex. She could have walked her son through the system, paying cash - let alone the fact that she would have had him on her insurance until he was 26.

There are so many tragic things about this event. If he had gotten the right help, and perhaps have been institutionalized if needed, this tragedy probably would not have happened.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GaleJ
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I have wondered over the last few days if, perhaps, she also had some mental health issues. It sounded as though she had some kind of issues with the problems she had with her son in school and with the guns. I can understand a single woman feeling she needs some way to protect herself but this seems to have gone way beyond that.

The other thing that I wanted to comment on was that often families that are feeling intimidated by adults with mental health issues are hesitant to do a 72 hour hold because so often the judges, while acknowledging their illness, have no concrete reason to confine them and so they are released. So the family then has the same intimidating adult only now they're angry about the hold.

DSamuels
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:03 PM
3 moms liked this

Dang it Sally, now that song is stuck in my head.

5-1-5-0 somebody call the po-po

Quoting SallyMJ:

cutestmom24
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Yes you need to go threw the court. to have someone bakeracted. I have a family member that has a mentel illness.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

I only posted what the news reported. And I'm not sure if you legally can have someone committed without a court order, just because they seem dangerous. We had someone hanging out around my kids bedroom Windows who is on drugs and mentally unstable. Took me 2 months of calling cops before he moved. I don't think he is locked up, a matter of time before he hurts a kid, but the cops said there was nothing they could do.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:19 PM
3 moms liked this
Are you meaning gun hobbyists are mentally unstable? And I don't think parents who have disagreements with schools are mentally unstable either.

Quoting GaleJ:

I have wondered over the last few days if, perhaps, she also had some mental health issues. It sounded as though she had some kind of issues with the problems she had with her son in school and with the guns. I can understand a single woman feeling she needs some way to protect herself but this seems to have gone way beyond that.

The other thing that I wanted to comment on was that often families that are feeling intimidated by adults with mental health issues are hesitant to do a 72 hour hold because so often the judges, while acknowledging their illness, have no concrete reason to confine them and so they are released. So the family then has the same intimidating adult only now they're angry about the hold.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nanaofsix531
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:29 PM
2 moms liked this

What I don't get is if she knew he had a problem why did she not have those guns locked up and away from him.

GaleJ
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

No I was not meaning that nor did I say it. I was commenting on reports that she had a reportedly difficult relationship with Sandy Hook, and that she withdrew her son and home schooled him. I have no problem with those factors either but I have concerns because this child had problems and I wondered if her actions were based on what she felt was a better comprehension of his special needs or represented a sense of denial about them.

As to the guns...NO...again that's not what I said or meant. I even admitted that single women might seek such protection. My thoughts were in regard, again, to the special needs her son had. It seemed odd to me that she would have so many guns and encourage him to become a shooter. I am not sure that I would ever so encourage someone with mental health issues to become involved with guns as a hobbyist.

All of my thoughts were just that, thoughts that I've had in the last few days while I, like so many others, try to process what happened. I have seen no reports that would lead me to believe that this young man was being seen by anyone for the mental health issues that have been reported. I have also seen such denial in parents/families with members with mental health issues. Each individual piece may mean nothing but taken all together it makes me wonder, that's all I meant.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I am just perplexed and am exploring the possibilities as we get more and more information. I am also sorry if my lack of clarity was, in any way, offensive to you.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Are you meaning gun hobbyists are mentally unstable? And I don't think parents who have disagreements with schools are mentally unstable either.

Quoting GaleJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)