Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Watermelon-Eating Obama Statue Is a Disgrace (PHOTO) Is there any way to defend this statue? Or is it just bad?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:21 AM
  • 39 Replies

Watermelon-Eating Obama Statue Is a Disgrace (PHOTO)

Posted by Jenny Erikson on December 28, 2012

Anyone driving by Danny Hafley’s home in Casey County, Kentucky recently has probably done a double take over his choice of lawn ornaments. Rather than a plastic flamingo or ceramic gnome, Mr. Hafley has erected a life-sized mannequin in President Obama’s likeness. The figure is wearing a suit over jeans, and an Obama mask that was purchased after Halloween.

The statue is holding a giant slice of watermelon, but Hafley assured a local television station that it wasn’t about racial stereotyping, but because he “might get hungry standing out there.” He also claimed, “The way I look at it, it’s freedom of speech.”

Newsflash: Just because you can say something doesn’t mean you should say it. Otherwise you’ll come off like a racist jerk like this guy. This is incredibly offensive and frustrating on so many levels, not the least of which is racism. Why doesn’t he add a piece of fried chicken while he’s at it?

I have no idea how depicting black people with watermelons and fried chicken got to be a racist thing, because they’re both delicious and this white girl would eat either all day long if she didn’t have to worry about fitting into her skinny jeans. But it is a thing, and you have to have your head pretty far up where the sun don’t shine to not know that and be sensitive to others. At the very least, take the dang thing down once you figure out that it’s incredibly rude.

It’s also annoying that of all the things there are to criticize or poke fun of about Barack Obama ... his skin color isn’t one of them. Why not have him holding a piggy bank? All of our taxes are about to go up next week thanks to his refusal to work with Republicans in Congress. Or give him a Hawaiian lei or golf clubs in response to his frequent recreational activities? You know, something that actually makes a point other than “I’m a racist douche canoe.”

I’m personally miffed that people like Danny Hafley give Obama critics like me a bad rap. Agree with my politics or not, but don’t ever assume racism is a common characteristic of anyone that doesn’t approve of the president’s job performance. The vast majority of us care way more about his fiscal policy than what shade his stage makeup is.

Free speech or not, this is disrespectful to President Obama, misrepresentative of Republican values, and a disgrace to America in general. Show some decency and take it down, Mr. Hafley.

Is there any way to defend this statue? Or is it just bad?

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_Kissy_
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Simply pathetic and shows peoples lack of intelligence to say the least.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JustCJ
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM

See the trailer in the background? LOL

Quoting _Kissy_:

Simply pathetic and shows peoples lack of intelligence to say the least.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Typical trailer trash.

I'm sure there are plenty here who will defend it.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Or LOL it.

Jynnifer292
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM
2 moms liked this

It is his land. He can be a racist asshole on it if he wants to I guess. I wonder how His Momma, who is probably also his sister, feels about it.

Aivlys_
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM
3 moms liked this
I am not an Obama supporter, but this is racist and in poor taste! Smh
ms-superwoman
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Well does the president like watermelon? I only ask because his white half may not like watermelon. Lmfao

Seriously people don't we have better things to do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bek22
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM
That's not right, but the dude's just going to scream freedom of speech like everyone else in this country.
Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Now, now let's not insult inbred rednecks...oh wait. That's pretty much anyone who would find the humor in it, right?

Quoting Jynnifer292:

It is his land. He can be a racist asshole on it if he wants to I guess. I wonder how His Momma, who is probably also his sister, feels about it.

..MoonShine..
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I cannot say I defend free speech and then say this man is not allowed to put this up. He can put up whatever piggish, rqcist, bigoted, ugly thing he likes. He's just showing the world what a racist pig he is.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN