Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DOES EVERYONE WANT TO GO OVER CLIFF?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:48 PM
  • 38 Replies

In today's chapter of "The Fiscal Cliff," Senate Leaders Reid and McConnell are working behind the scenes to craft a deal to meet Monday's midnight deadline. Yesterday, President Obama met with congressional leaders, for the first time in six weeks, and urged the Senate to reach a deal over the weekend. If they failed to reach a deal, Obama warned, he would press them to put his original proposal before the Congress for an up or down vote.  

Obama's original offer called for around $1.6 Trillion in new taxes, directed most of the new revenue to new spending, and trimmed the deficit by a paltry $400 Billion over 10 years. That's roughly, at most, a 1% cut in projected federal spending. During the "talks" on the "cliff," Obama had floated some possible concessions to reduce the tax hike and increase the spending cuts, but those appear to be off the table. 

Obama's basic compromise is, "I won the election; vote for my plan. QED." Of course, were Congress to come up with an alternative proposal, Obama would no doubt consider it. But his position has seemed to harden to a big tax hike to fund new stimulus spending, almost no spending cuts, and very few changes to entitlements. 

Obama is in a strong negotiating position because the media will aggressively blame the GOP for whatever happens if they fail to reach a deal. His position is even stronger, though, because it is becoming increasingly clear that going over the "cliff," albeit temporarily, is in everyone's interest. After the "cliff," the tax issue becomes much simpler for both parties. Democrats can champion a real tax cut for the middle class and Republicans won't have to vote to raise taxes on any income group. 

The tax provisions could pass relatively quickly after we pass the "cliff," and the spending debate can be rolled into the looming battle to lift the debt ceiling. That will be a much bigger battle.  

The challenge the GOP has faced in these "talks" is that the tax issue has received far more attention than the question of government spending. On the issue of spending, the GOP is far more aligned with the public than the Democrats. Without the tax diversion, they will have more leverage to get real spending cuts in exchange for a debt ceiling hike.

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
..MoonShine..
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:52 PM
8 moms liked this

What I want is for BOTH sides to grow the fuck up and work together like grown ups o fix what needs fixing. What I want is for both sides to actually give a shit about theAmerican people and care a little less about power and control. 

blues_pagan
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I want both sides to realize that this is their JOB.  And if they don't do their job then they get fired.  Work it out, be fucking adults and get this shit in line!

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:02 PM
3 moms liked this
"Ordinary folks, they do their jobs. They meet deadlines. They sit down and they discuss things, and then things happen. If there are disagreements, they sort through the disagreements. The notion that our elected leadership can’t do the same thing is mind-boggling to them. It needs to stop."

I agree, Mr. Obama.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:04 PM

as do I. Congress, both sides of it, needs to grow up

Quoting Erinelizz:

"Ordinary folks, they do their jobs. They meet deadlines. They sit down and they discuss things, and then things happen. If there are disagreements, they sort through the disagreements. The notion that our elected leadership can’t do the same thing is mind-boggling to them. It needs to stop."

I agree, Mr. Obama.

Head Admin of Survivors

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Yup. This is ridiculous, and going over the cliff is the last thing our economy needs. Time to put on their big boy and big girl pants and do their jobs.

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

as do I. Congress, both sides of it, needs to grow up

Quoting Erinelizz:

I agree, Mr. Obama.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm good with it ~ maybe a nice depression will get through their thick heads. Maybe not. Maybe the country that supports them ending up a mass of chaos, rioting, looting, and possible civil war is the only way to fix this ... look at the bright side ~ a civil war and a brand new country would have a balanced budget, and we could set term limits as a method of idiot control. At this point, I consider the CinC and congresscritters as the 'shyte' filling up the house.

darlingdaisy
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I don't think our credit rating can take it.

Just raise taxes on those making over $250K and leave the cuts in place for those who make less.  Its not rocket science or about being right.  They have a job to do, its time to put politics and political parties to the side and just get it done.

broncfan
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting darlingdaisy:

I don't think our credit rating can take it.

Just raise taxes on those making over $250K and leave the cuts in place for those who make less.  Its not rocket science or about being right.  They have a job to do, its time to put politics and political parties to the side and just get it done.

That's right, let's just TAKE more from those that are successful and leave everyone else alone, in fact let's figure out how to GIVE more so it will be "fair", we are ALL Americans, all should have skin in the game, not just those that are successful. SMH

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Agreed, without some of the colorful vocabulary.   :)

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

What I want is for BOTH sides to grow the fuck up and work together like grown ups o fix what needs fixing. What I want is for both sides to actually give a shit about theAmerican people and care a little less about power and control. 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:41 PM
4 moms liked this

I think everyone agrees with that - but Obama needs to do the same damn thing. It's not helpful that he didn't start meeting with Congress until late November. That's pretty much last minute. They were supposed to do this a YEAR ago.

Quoting Erinelizz:

I agree, Mr. Obama.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)