Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should Churches be tax exempt?

Posted by   + Show Post

Should Churches Get Tax Breaks?

INTRODUCTION

Trinity Broadcasting Network's Holy Land ExperienceBrian Blanco for The New York TimesDoes the Trinity Broadcasting Network’s Holy Land Experience, a theme park in Orlando, really deserve a tax break?

The Trinity Broadcasting Network has always been proud of its extravagant profits, but rarely mentions the extravagant tax breaks that fueled them. According to a recent lawsuit, the company provides mansions for executives and calls them “parsonages” to avoid property taxes, and it ordains TBN chauffeurs and sound engineers and performers at the Holy Land Experience theme park, meaning their pay is tax-free.

Religious exemptions from taxes and regulations are often thought of as separating church and state, but are they having the opposite effect — serving as a state subsidy for religious organizations? Should religious entities be subject to taxes and rules like labor and civil rights laws?

Read the debates here and what is your opinion?

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/05/09/should-churches-get-tax-breaks/tax-breaks-good-for-religion-good-for-america

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Replies (11-20):
blues_pagan
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Why?

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Yes they should.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:18 AM
1 mom liked this
If I may add a question...

Why? And which ones? All churches?

Quoting blues_pagan:

Why?

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Yes they should.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Godgaveme4
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this
All churches.

Churches pay some taxes. They pay employment taxes and I believe they pay property taxes. But they should not have to pay taxes on donations.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Why?

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Yes they should.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this
That is incorrect. Churches currently are tax exempt, they do not pay property taxes.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

All churches.

Churches pay some taxes. They pay employment taxes and I believe they pay property taxes. But they should not have to pay taxes on donations.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Why?

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Yes they should.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Godgaveme4
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:33 AM
Thank you. I was not positive.

I still think they should be tax exempt.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

That is incorrect. Churches currently are tax exempt, they do not pay property taxes.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

All churches.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Why?

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Yes they should.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:35 AM
I think the donations should definitely be tax exempt but they should still pay property taxes and payroll taxes...

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting Godgaveme4:

All churches.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Why?

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Yes they should.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:35 AM
It depends. Churches are made up of people that donate and give monies that have ALREADY been taxed. Anyone that gets a paycheck from a church pays taxes on that money. Many churches are struggling already. Taxing them certainly won't help the fix their problems. However, I do agree that a church that wants to have their voice heard in politics should pay taxes.

How would such a plan be implemented though?
blues_pagan
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Once again, why?

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting Godgaveme4:

All churches.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Why?

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Yes they should.

Dzyre1115
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:38 AM
2 moms liked this

Taxes are an act of law, something that religious institutions are exempt from by order of the Constitution, so no!

blues_pagan
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Churches are no exempt from law.  The only thing that the Constitution covers is the freedom to exercise your religion and that the government will not establish one religion over the others.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Taxes are an act of law, something that religious institutions are exempt from by order of the Constitution, so no!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)