Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Should Churches be tax exempt?

Posted by   + Show Post

Should Churches Get Tax Breaks?

INTRODUCTION

Trinity Broadcasting Network's Holy Land ExperienceBrian Blanco for The New York TimesDoes the Trinity Broadcasting Network’s Holy Land Experience, a theme park in Orlando, really deserve a tax break?

The Trinity Broadcasting Network has always been proud of its extravagant profits, but rarely mentions the extravagant tax breaks that fueled them. According to a recent lawsuit, the company provides mansions for executives and calls them “parsonages” to avoid property taxes, and it ordains TBN chauffeurs and sound engineers and performers at the Holy Land Experience theme park, meaning their pay is tax-free.

Religious exemptions from taxes and regulations are often thought of as separating church and state, but are they having the opposite effect — serving as a state subsidy for religious organizations? Should religious entities be subject to taxes and rules like labor and civil rights laws?

Read the debates here and what is your opinion?

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/05/09/should-churches-get-tax-breaks/tax-breaks-good-for-religion-good-for-america

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Replies (31-40):
imultracool
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:53 AM
1 mom liked this
No.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:54 AM

But right now they're losing all they can do is argue, because they have no real power, invite them in for tax revenue and there are no guarantees as to which way or which religion will control how we live!

Quoting blues_pagan:

Religion is already playing a role in politics.  If it didn't then we wouldn't be having arguements over Roe v. Wade, birth control and gay marriage.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

As I said, if you invite them into politics, should they pay taxes, you are blurring the lines and opening a terrible can of worms......but foolish liberalism is how we've gotten to the place we're in now, so many never learn!  Inviting religious organizations into politics as long as they pay taxes puts us in line with many Arab Nations, nations run by religion, one majority religion that all must follow, is that the direction you are looking to go?

Quoting blues_pagan:

You assume I have no "church".  I have a place of worship it is just different than yours. 

And once again the Seperation of Church and state isn't even in the Constitution.  It was in a letter. 

Quoting Dzyre1115:

If you want them to blur the lines of separation of church and state that could backfire, particularly for those with no church, like yourself.  Tread lightly!

Quoting blues_pagan:

Churches are no exempt from law.  The only thing that the Constitution covers is the freedom to exercise your religion and that the government will not establish one religion over the others.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Taxes are an act of law, something that religious institutions are exempt from by order of the Constitution, so no!

norwgnwood
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:56 AM
No.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blues_pagan
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I have no idea what you are saying here.  Religion plays a big part in government.  They have been able to block bills from being passed for crying out loud.  Their voices are being heard above just arguing.  

Quoting Dzyre1115:

But right now they're losing all they can do is argue, because they have no real power, invite them in for tax revenue and there are no guarantees as to which way or which religion will control how we live!

Quoting blues_pagan:

Religion is already playing a role in politics.  If it didn't then we wouldn't be having arguements over Roe v. Wade, birth control and gay marriage.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

As I said, if you invite them into politics, should they pay taxes, you are blurring the lines and opening a terrible can of worms......but foolish liberalism is how we've gotten to the place we're in now, so many never learn!  Inviting religious organizations into politics as long as they pay taxes puts us in line with many Arab Nations, nations run by religion, one majority religion that all must follow, is that the direction you are looking to go?

Quoting blues_pagan:

You assume I have no "church".  I have a place of worship it is just different than yours. 

And once again the Seperation of Church and state isn't even in the Constitution.  It was in a letter. 

Quoting Dzyre1115:

If you want them to blur the lines of separation of church and state that could backfire, particularly for those with no church, like yourself.  Tread lightly!

Quoting blues_pagan:

Churches are no exempt from law.  The only thing that the Constitution covers is the freedom to exercise your religion and that the government will not establish one religion over the others.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Taxes are an act of law, something that religious institutions are exempt from by order of the Constitution, so no!

Dzyre1115
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Religious views are being pushed out of government as they should be, slowly, but surely, are you willing to risk going backwards for some tax revenue?  Money talks in this country, like it or not and the church, particularly the Catholic Church and Islam are the richest in the world.

Quoting blues_pagan:

I have no idea what you are saying here.  Religion plays a big part in government.  They have been able to block bills from being passed for crying out loud.  Their voices are being heard above just arguing.  

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

blues_pagan
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:00 AM

So you are saying that they would buy their way into politics?  How?

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Religious views are being pushed out of government as they should be, slowly, but surely, are you willing to risk going backwards for some tax revenue?  Money talks in this country, like it or not and the church, particularly the Catholic Church and Islam are the richest in the world.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Dzyre1115
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:03 AM

The richest business men in this country control much of our politics do they not?  If you make a church a business, haven't you now left them, some of them that make our richest business men look like paupers, to do the same?

Quoting blues_pagan:

So you are saying that they would buy their way into politics?  How?

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Red_Mama0723
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:35 AM

The church, unfortunately is a very powerful entity in our government. They have influenced many elections to suit their needs. If you think that isn't true, then you have not been paying attention over the years. How did under god get put in to our pledge in the 1950's or 60's? I'll tell you how, the church had a say in our government. They need to pay taxes if they want to keep their BS up.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Red_Mama0723:

if they want to have an opinion/influence in politics then they need to be taxed

Absolutely not.  By that logic, individuals who do not pay taxes should not get to have an opinion or influence in politics.

Let's cut to the chase:  tax revenues are becoming more of an issue because government is mispending and mishandling taxpayer money. 

Ultimately, it is very important that there can be entities in society that exist outside of porktax politics.  Think about it:  tax churches, and then they not only have a unchallenged political voice, but they become a legitimate interest group in every single part of the law, in every election, for any candidate. 

It is vital that a healthy society has limited concentrations of centralized power.  Churches do that, they are social and ideological centers that run separate from Washington, DC.  What a nightmare it would be if every single entity in society had a string to government that could be pulled from one central entity, the US government?

_Kissy_
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:53 AM
Yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)