Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should Churches be tax exempt?

Posted by   + Show Post

Should Churches Get Tax Breaks?

INTRODUCTION

Trinity Broadcasting Network's Holy Land ExperienceBrian Blanco for The New York TimesDoes the Trinity Broadcasting Network’s Holy Land Experience, a theme park in Orlando, really deserve a tax break?

The Trinity Broadcasting Network has always been proud of its extravagant profits, but rarely mentions the extravagant tax breaks that fueled them. According to a recent lawsuit, the company provides mansions for executives and calls them “parsonages” to avoid property taxes, and it ordains TBN chauffeurs and sound engineers and performers at the Holy Land Experience theme park, meaning their pay is tax-free.

Religious exemptions from taxes and regulations are often thought of as separating church and state, but are they having the opposite effect — serving as a state subsidy for religious organizations? Should religious entities be subject to taxes and rules like labor and civil rights laws?

Read the debates here and what is your opinion?

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/05/09/should-churches-get-tax-breaks/tax-breaks-good-for-religion-good-for-america

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Replies (61-66):
doulala
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM

No, they shouldn't be exempt.

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Hell no.They should be taxed just like every other business.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Yes this is why I am torn on the issue... Some churches use the donations for the Church and community but like you said, then there are those mega churches that don't. :-/

Quoting Godgaveme4:

I have watched the show. The furnishings are donated and the company gets a write off and lots of free advertising by product placement and an announcement on the show. The home and property were already owned by the family. Payments and services by contractors are donated with a write off and free advertising for the company. And the families were paying property taxes on property and home before the show.

What will you be doing with the car? Seems to me that if you are using or business you will get a write off at tax time.

Churches use the money donated and the property donated to fund many different programs that help people. If they were taxed on it then those programs would be reduced or eliminated.

And people write stories like this about mega churches and say look this is what churches do. But mega churches are not the norm.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Have you ever seen Extreme Makeover Home Edition? Those homes are donated and furnished and everything in them is donated... But those families still have to pay property taxes. Someone could donate me a car but I'd still have to pay taxes on it and registration fees every year.

Same should apply to the Churches.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Many times property and homes are donated to the church. Some churches keep the homes and use them to house pastors or missionaries or others that need a place to live until they get back on their feet. And some churches use the property to build on. They build a church or an outreach center. Should these donations be tax exempt? Personally I think so.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I think the donations should definitely be tax exempt but they should still pay property taxes and payroll taxes...

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Thank you. I was not positive.

I still think they should be tax exempt.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

That is incorrect. Churches currently are tax exempt, they do not pay property taxes.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

All churches.

Churches pay some taxes. They pay employment taxes and I believe they pay property taxes. But they should not have to pay taxes on donations.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

If I may add a question...

Why? And which ones? All churches?

Quoting blues_pagan:

Why?

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Yes they should.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Godgaveme4
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:17 PM
I get it. I know there are way more smaller churches out there than mega churches. And those smaller churches often do more than the mega churches. But I will not judge all churches because of a few.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Yes this is why I am torn on the issue... Some churches use the donations for the Church and community but like you said, then there are those mega churches that don't. :-/

Quoting Godgaveme4:

I have watched the show. The furnishings are donated and the company gets a write off and lots of free advertising by product placement and an announcement on the show. The home and property were already owned by the family. Payments and services by contractors are donated with a write off and free advertising for the company. And the families were paying property taxes on property and home before the show.

What will you be doing with the car? Seems to me that if you are using or business you will get a write off at tax time.

Churches use the money donated and the property donated to fund many different programs that help people. If they were taxed on it then those programs would be reduced or eliminated.

And people write stories like this about mega churches and say look this is what churches do. But mega churches are not the norm.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Have you ever seen Extreme Makeover Home Edition? Those homes are donated and furnished and everything in them is donated... But those families still have to pay property taxes. Someone could donate me a car but I'd still have to pay taxes on it and registration fees every year.

Same should apply to the Churches.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Many times property and homes are donated to the church. Some churches keep the homes and use them to house pastors or missionaries or others that need a place to live until they get back on their feet. And some churches use the property to build on. They build a church or an outreach center. Should these donations be tax exempt? Personally I think so.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I think the donations should definitely be tax exempt but they should still pay property taxes and payroll taxes...

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Thank you. I was not positive.

I still think they should be tax exempt.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

That is incorrect. Churches currently are tax exempt, they do not pay property taxes.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

All churches.

Churches pay some taxes. They pay employment taxes and I believe they pay property taxes. But they should not have to pay taxes on donations.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

If I may add a question...

Why? And which ones? All churches?

Quoting blues_pagan:

Why?

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Yes they should.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Quoting blues_pagan:

I couldn't agree more!

Quoting Red_Mama0723:

if they want to have an opinion/influence in politics then they need to be taxed

All of that ^ I couldn't agree more either. 

WowIllbeamom11
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:26 AM
IMO Mega churches and megachurch owned businesses should be taxed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)