Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Fiscal Cliff Deal Passes the House. With No Changes!

Posted by   + Show Post

257-167!

Latest updates: House approves fiscal cliff bill

politicalmugshot

(CNN) - With bipartisan support, the House approved the fiscal cliff bill late Tuesday night after Republican leaders ultimately decided not to try and tack on an amendment to the Senate version of the legislation, which passed in the upper chamber around 2 a.m. ET Tuesday morning.

The package (PDF) puts off budget cuts for two months and preserves Bush-era income tax cuts for individuals earning less than $400,000 or couples earning less than $450,000.

The bill now heads to the president's desk for his signature. Check back here for the latest updates.

Naughty Wittle Puppy

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Replies (11-20):
romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:42 AM

They had no choice but to make sure that taxes didn't go up as we fell over that cliff.  It's a toxic storm of declining home values leaving Americans with much less equity and worth (many of them upside down on mortgages), high unemployment or under employment, new taxation because of ACA....we couldn't handle one more money suck.

NWP
by Guerilla Girl on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Severe Austerity is a proven failure in today's economy. We have several examples of this from across the pond. I am unsure as to why some folks want to reverse the fragile growth we have been experiencing for the purpose political gains.

Naughty Wittle Puppy

mikiemom
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

This is fantastic news. The spending cuts need to happen but they need to do it wisely. Automatic cuts are not a good idea.

I think the obstructionists need to be voted out of congress. We need legislaters who are will to do what it takes to fix the economic crisis in this country.

juju40
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM

we are so screwed....how is extending unemployment benefits going to help??/get those people to work already.My cousin has been getting unemployment for four years.. he needs to get his ass back to work

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Quoting juju40:

we are so screwed....how is extending unemployment benefits going to help??/get those people to work already.My cousin has been getting unemployment for four years.. he needs to get his ass back to work

How is that possible?

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3164

No state is even at the max of 99 weeks, which is a tad less than 2 years (it used to be 99 weeks with the extensions, btw).

Most I see now is 84 weeks.

juju40
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:24 AM

we're all going to pay higher taxes..if you make 110 thousand or less your going to pay 2200 more... 50,000 or less your going to pay 1000 more and if earn 20,000 or less your going to 400 more in taxes..how is that good

Quoting Analeigh2012:

So now we will have this debate all over again, along with the debt ceiling debate.
I am thankful the tax deal ended where it did... $400-450k is good. I was NOTlooking forward to paying thousands more than I already do! At least it is something.

juju40
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Quoting romalove:

Quoting juju40:

How is that possible?

No state is even at the max of 99 weeks, which is a tad less than 2 years (it used to be 99 weeks with the extensions, btw).

good question..I ask myself that all the time

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Quoting juju40:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting juju40:

How is that possible?

good question..I ask myself that all the time

They can't be collecting for four years.  They are lying or something else is wrong.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Even more than 50% of people can be idiots.

It's called the Tyranny of the Majority. Even the Founders recognized that.

KamWorthy
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Sandy victims were negated in the deal. Many are experiencing a false sense of relief right now. If you truly want change, real change, you must begin with yourself, and stop looking to the government to rescue you. You must change your entire way of thinking, Remember no ones life call is to be successful, it is to be impactful, and faithful.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)