Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Because of the House of Representatives - Sandy relief put aside

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:45 AM
  • 92 Replies

The senate passed a $60 Billion dollar relief package for the states in the path of hurricane Sandy, the house said they had enough votes for it but decided to not put it up for a vote while they fought over the fiscal cliff deal...which they ALSO had enough votes to pass but a few were holding it hostage.

They decided to not vote for it after the fiscal cliff deal also...now it has to start from scratch again,,,

Shameful

NY area lawmakers: House GOP scraps vote Sandy aid

WASHINGTON (AP) — New York area-lawmakers in both parties erupted in anger late Tuesday night after learning the House Republican leadership decided to allow the current term of Congress to end without holding a vote on aid for victims of Superstorm Sandy.

Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., said he was told by the office of Majority Leader Eric Cantor of Virginia that Speaker John Boehner of Ohio had decided to abandon a vote this session.

Cantor, who sets the House schedule, did not immediately comment. House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer of Maryland told reporters that just before Tuesday evening's vote on "fiscal cliff" legislation, Cantor told him that he was "99.9 percent confident that this bill would be on the floor, and that's what he wanted."

A spokesman for Boehner, Michael Steel said, "The speaker is committed to getting this bill passed this month."

In remarks on the House floor, King called the decision "absolutely inexcusable, absolutely indefensible. We cannot just walk away from our responsibilities."

The Senate approved a $60.4 billion measure Friday to help with recovery from the October storm that devastated parts of New YorkNew Jersey and nearby states. The House Appropriations Committee has drafted a smaller, $27 billion measure, and a vote had been expected before Congress' term ends Thursday at noon.

More than $2 billion in federal funds has been spent so far on relief efforts for 11 states and the District of Columbia struck by the storm, one of the worst ever to hit the Northeast. The Federal Emergency Management Agency's disaster relief fund still has about $4.3 billion, enough to pay for recovery efforts into early spring, according to officials. The unspent FEMA money can only be used for emergency services, said Rep. Frank Pallone Jr., D-N.J.

New YorkNew Jersey, Connecticut, District of Columbia, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, New Hampshire, Delaware, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts are receiving federal aid.

Sandy was blamed for at least 120 deaths and battered coastline areas from North Carolina to Maine. New York, New Jersey and Connecticut were the hardest hit states and suffered high winds, flooding and storm surges. The storm damaged or destroyed more than 72,000 homes and businesses in New Jersey. In New York, 305,000 housing units were damaged or destroyed and more than 265,000 businesses were affected.

"This is an absolute disgrace and the speaker should hang his head in shame," said Rep. Eliot Engel, D-N.Y.

"I'm here tonight saying to myself for the first time that I'm not proud of the decision my team has made," said Rep. Michael Grimm, R-N.Y. "It is the wrong decision, and I' m going to be respectful and ask that the speaker reconsider his decision. Because it's not about politics, it's about human lives."

"I truly feel betrayed this evening," said Rep. Nita Lowey, D-N.Y.

"We need to be there for all those in need now after Hurricane Sandy," said Rep. Gregory Meeks, D-N.Y.

The House Democratic leader, Rep. Nancy Pelosi of California, said she didn't know whether a decision has been made and added, "We cannot leave here doing nothing. That would be a disgrace."

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:42 AM
4 moms liked this

What a bunch of assholes.  I wish we could just throw them all out right now.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

We just had that opportunity....house goes up for reelection, the whole lot of them, every two years.....and we put most of the incumbents right back.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

We just had that opportunity....house goes up for reelection, the whole lot of them, every two years.....and we put most of the incumbents right back.

And they are counting on our memories not being two years long.  I hope everyone remembers this in two years.  SMH.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

And they are counting on our memories not being two years long.  I hope everyone remembers this in two years.  SMH.

I have been trying to vote out my congressman for years.  He's not a "bad" guy, but he votes down the most liberal line possible, never any variation, and doesn't do all that much for the people back home (he does town meetings from time to time, but mostly to tout his own interests).  I think we need new people and on that basis have been trying to vote out the incumbent.

It is rough.

Citygirlk
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Have you guys seen ny? Nothing is happening there. Dh's sister in law has a business on Coney Island and the whole area look almost the same since after the storm, she says its like fema forgot about them. It's really sad.

paperorplastic
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this

It's Americans fault!  People elected the idiots right back in their positions.  They are voted in every two years.  This goes back to my theory many people don't even know what they are voting for.  Oh well.  FEMA is bankrupt, so maybe state by state people will start to pull their head out of their azzhat when it's time to vote again.  

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:33 AM
4 moms liked this

I am not surprised, we after all have not even seen a budget in years, they went to the last possible minute to deal with the fiscal cliff. Why would we expect this administration, or congress to act quickly on something that is recent when they are years behind in other matters.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

awww.
paperorplastic
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM
2 moms liked this

Same thing happened with hurricane Katrina.  I'm not sure why anyone is so surprised?  

Quoting Citygirlk:

Have you guys seen ny? Nothing is happening there. Dh's sister in law has a business on Coney Island and the whole area look almost the same since after the storm, she says its like fema forgot about them. It's really sad.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM

This admin?

This is the job of CONGRESS....The senate passed their part...as usual, the house of rep is too lazy to do their job.

Quoting Canvas_says:

I am not surprised, we after all have not even seen a budget in years, they went to the last possible minute to deal with the fiscal cliff. Why would we expect this administration, or congress to act quickly on something that is recent when they are years behind in other matters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN