Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Free Breast Pumps for Moms Thanks to New Healthcare Law! Would it make a difference to you?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 78 Replies
1 mom liked this

Free Breast Pumps for Moms Thanks to New Healthcare Law!

Posted by Adriana Velez on January 3, 2013 

breast pumpJust under nine years ago I returned to my full-time job after having a baby. And I brought with me a key piece of equipment that helped me manage my work/parenting balance: A breast pump. I was lucky enough to find a used pump, so I wasn't out hundreds of dollars for the kind of electric pump that helps you express milk quickly enough to make the whole process worth it.

Right now, millions of mothers to babies are returning to work. Many of them are committed to breastfeeding -- and today there's one exciting piece of news that can help them. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, as of January 1 insurance companies are required to cover breast pumps.

Free breast pumps for everyone! Okay, not exactly. Just if you're fortunate enough be covered by health insurance already. But if you are, you're covered not just for breastfeeding support equipment, but also for consultants. Most likely that's just for consultants already part of your insurance network, but hey -- that's still progress. Have you ever priced out a lactation consultant? Yipes. I couldn't afford one.

This coverage could make the difference between breastfeeding for a full year or not breastfeeding at all for some women.

Some might say, "the government shouldn't be paying for breast pumps!" To which I say, YO! I'm talking about private health insurance, not Medicaid. To clarify, in case it wasn't obvious, this isn't about the government paying for breast pumps. Health insurance companies will cover them -- or they should be, anyway. We pay them money. They cover certain equipment and services. And guess what? This is equipment a lot of women want covered. (WIC provides some breastfeeding equipment and services, but that's not part of this legislation.)

And it's a smart investment all around. We all know the health benefits of breastfeeding. Enabling more women to breastfeed is preventative care that can save families and insurance money on health care costs over a lifetime. For both moms and kids.

Here's a helpful guide to how you can get your pump covered. Naturally they make it complicated because that's how most plans roll, but it's not impossible. Note: This went into effect for some back in August.

Would it make a difference to you if your health insurance covered breast pumps and equipment?

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pema_Jampa
Only on CafeMom...
Tuesday at 6:51 PM
by Celeste on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Well it would have saved me $300! And I was only able to breastfeed for 5 months with my 2nd. I tried pumping exclusively but wasn't producing enough milk. We had to go to formula. I gave the pump to my lil sister and told her to get new tubing for it. She didn't breastfeed. Ugh! what a waste!

imamomzilla
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM
3 moms liked this

Those things are expensive.

It's a medical device and should be covered.

As a taxpayer, I don't mind footing the bill for something like that. It may encourage more women to do it. Breast is Best for Baby. :-)

Bek22
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM

They should be covered by insurance being we pay them an arm and a leg already. I rented a pump with my 4th while he was in NICU and bought one shortly after he came home. They are definitely not cheap.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM
It's considered a medical device so I understand. However, if insurance will cover that for breast feeding moms will they give formula at the hospital still to formula feeding moms?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blues_pagan
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I stopped breastfeeding because my body didn't respond to the pump.  I pumped almost every hour when I was at work.  It just didn't work.  But as soon as I nursed DD my supply would jump.

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM

OK I think that either hell froze over or the world is going to implode...3 for 3 Zilla...3 for 3!

Quoting imamomzilla:

Those things are expensive.

It's a medical device and should be covered.

As a taxpayer, I don't mind footing the bill for something like that. It may encourage more women to do it. Breast is Best for Baby. :-)

mikiemom
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM

That would be wonderful. Yes the good usable pumps are very expensive. As long as they cover the good ones and not the crappy manual ones.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

So a breast pump is a medical necessity but contraception is not?

For the record, I need neither but am for them both being covered.

..MoonShine..
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Agree. 

Quoting mikiemom:

That would be wonderful. Yes the good usable pumps are very expensive. As long as they cover the good ones and not the crappy manual ones.

Aivlys_
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I think its great! I paid $400 for my Medela pump! Awesome!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)