Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

New Study: Eco-Friendly Light Bulbs May Cause Skin Cancer?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:49 PM
  • 10 Replies
2 moms liked this
MIAMI (CBSMiami) — Every time you turn on the lights, you may be putting yourself at risk, according to a disturbing new study.

Energy efficient bulbs are eco-friendly and can save you big bucks, but experts say that they could also have a dark side.

“When there is something in your house, you don’t perceive any danger, you wouldn’t get that close to an x-ray in a doctor’s office,” explained Miriam Rafailovich, Professor of Materials Science at Stony Brook University in New York.

SBU Study Reveals Harmful Effects of CFL Bulbs to Skin

http://commcgi.cc.stonybrook.edu/am2/publish/General_University_News_2/SBU_Study_Reveals_Harmful_Effects_of_CFL_Bulbs_to_Skin.shtml
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aivlys_
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow.. I have them all over my home. Thanks for this info!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
imamomzilla
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Interesting.

Personally, I HATE those Christmas lights that are LED. They hurt my eyes.

I know the spiral bulbs are a bio-hazard when you dispose of them.

imamomzilla
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:54 PM
3 moms liked this

They do kind of remind you of 'tanning' light bulbs. The intensity is a bit much once they warm up.

Thank you for the post.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting imamomzilla:

Interesting.

They are..if they break an amount of mecury?? comes out..and I will not have them at my house.. We had one break...and I said "no" more.. We have pets as well.

Mychelle9
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I read the article and it seemed to say that CFL lights emitt ultraviolet rays much as the sun does.    Exposure to these bulbs is similar to being exposed to the sun's ultraviolet rays.   If you are at high risk for sensitivity to uv rays then these light bulbs could cause you problems.    

These light bulbs are safest when used behind a glass cover and from a distance.   More studies need to be done to determine your risks.   It seems to say in my interpretation that for healthy people that these light bulbs pose little risk.   But for those individuals who have light sensitive skin or skin cancer problems that there is some possibility of risk and it is best to have these light bulbs behind a glass cover and at a distance when you are exposed to them.

Like any thing you bring into your life there is always some possible risk to your health so it is best to know what your possible health challenges are if possible.   I do not know if these light bulbs produce enough uv rays to give you a sunburn or to tan your skin.   Personally I doubt it.    

If one is really concerned about possible but improbable health hazzards from these bulbs, I would keep health hazzards  by energy efficient bulbs on my search list and check for what ever studies are done in the future.

We are exposed to uv rays from the sun every day because uv rays pass through clouds and they are basically unavoidable in life.   So I will not get rid of my energy efficient bulbs in my house.   However I will be more concerned about these bulbs in my desk lamp but I don't use it much any way because what ever bulbs I use in this lamp are way to bright for my eyes.

I guess energy efficient bulbs are one more thing in life, like breathing the air in urban areas and next to smokers, that are use at your own risk.      And like any thing else in life even if the probablility of risk is extremely low, no one can say there is no risk ever, so as to avoid law suits.    My feelings are like every thing in life over use and close long term exposure create an element of risk.   Which means for me my desk lamp which has an energy efficient light bulb in it and sits within one foot of my eyes and its uncovered.   But it is hardly ever on because because even with the lowest watt light bulb energy efficent or candesent bulb it shines to brightly.   At the most  I will be careful that the light bulb does not shine light directly into  my eyes.   

There was a European study and here is a link to the abstract to this study:

ec.europa.eu/health/ph_risk/committees/04_scenihr/docs/scenihr_o_019.pdf

erika9009
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM
2 moms liked this

It's so funny how all the Progressives were going on and on about CFLs and saving energy like 5 yrs ago.

They seemed to have gone quiet since they figured they have mercury in them.  Like Daaaaaaaaaa

There is even a building code in CA that says the first light switch in  a kitchen has to be a fluorescent.

If you want a decent bulb, that will save you money, NOT be a hazard to dispose of, can be dimmed, and just has good light, the Philips 60 w LED bulb is great.  It uses 20% of the power of a normal bulb while actually being a tad brighter.  Oh and it last 20 yrs.  (We'll see on that, but if it gets to 10, I'm happy)

You may roll your eyes at the $20-25 price tag.  But look at it this way, it will pay for itself in a yr if you use your lamp 3 hrs a day.  this varies on your location, but it's still worth it.  Oh, and you don't have to replace it.

imamomzilla
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Yep. I remember reading a story about a high school evacuated because of a mercury accident in the science lab. Guys is hazmat suits. Oy.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Interesting.

They are..if they break an amount of mecury?? comes out..and I will not have them at my house.. We had one break...and I said "no" more.. We have pets as well.

stacymomof2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Your title is a lie.  There is no study making a connection between flourescent bulbs and cancer.  They are saying that if the bulb coating is cracked there is a risk of exposure to UV rays which are damaging to skin.

I sit in an office all day with exposed flourescent bulbs.  They are further away than the bulbs in my house, though.

I really dont think that a discovery that UV rays are damaging to skin is really that groundbreaking.  Maybe they should focus on making the coating stronger and less likely to be damaged.  Another good thing would be if lighting designs were updated to accomodate CFL bulbs with glass covers.  Although I don't have a single bulb in my house which isn't covered by a glass fixture.

littlemoments99
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:54 PM

They also don't work as well. I have had some of those burn out within a few weeks. There was nothing wrong with the old ones. They work just as well, if not better (I hate the fading thing) and don't burn out as quickly.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:02 PM

True, UV light in sunlight - but also in X-rays. And we very carefully control our exposure to X-rays, do not get them more than necessary, protect women's pelvic area, and technicians take radiographs from a distance and wear special badges that measure the cumulative amount of radiation they receive.

And these lightbulbs emit UV radiation like an X-ray, not the sun. Huge difference. One is necessary, one causes cancer. 

Quoting Mychelle9:

I read the article and it seemed to say that CFL lights emitt ultraviolet rays much as the sun does.    Exposure to these bulbs is similar to being exposed to the sun's ultraviolet rays.   If you are at high risk for sensitivity to uv rays then these light bulbs could cause you problems.    

These light bulbs are safest when used behind a glass cover and from a distance.   More studies need to be done to determine your risks.   It seems to say in my interpretation that for healthy people that these light bulbs pose little risk.   But for those individuals who have light sensitive skin or skin cancer problems that there is some possibility of risk and it is best to have these light bulbs behind a glass cover and at a distance when you are exposed to them.

Like any thing you bring into your life there is always some possible risk to your health so it is best to know what your possible health challenges are if possible.   I do not know if these light bulbs produce enough uv rays to give you a sunburn or to tan your skin.   Personally I doubt it.    

If one is really concerned about possible but improbable health hazzards from these bulbs, I would keep health hazzards  by energy efficient bulbs on my search list and check for what ever studies are done in the future.

We are exposed to uv rays from the sun every day because uv rays pass through clouds and they are basically unavoidable in life.   So I will not get rid of my energy efficient bulbs in my house.   However I will be more concerned about these bulbs in my desk lamp but I don't use it much any way because what ever bulbs I use in this lamp are way to bright for my eyes.

I guess energy efficient bulbs are one more thing in life, like breathing the air in urban areas and next to smokers, that are use at your own risk.      And like any thing else in life even if the probablility of risk is extremely low, no one can say there is no risk ever, so as to avoid law suits.    My feelings are like every thing in life over use and close long term exposure create an element of risk.   Which means for me my desk lamp which has an energy efficient light bulb in it and sits within one foot of my eyes and its uncovered.   But it is hardly ever on because because even with the lowest watt light bulb energy efficent or candesent bulb it shines to brightly.   At the most  I will be careful that the light bulb does not shine light directly into  my eyes.   

There was a European study and here is a link to the abstract to this study:

ec.europa.eu/health/ph_risk/committees/04_scenihr/docs/scenihr_o_019.pdf

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)