Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Mom Changes Mind About Abortion After Newtown Shooting 

The school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut was a terrible tragedy that took the lives of two dozen children and school officials. However, the tragedy has helped millions of Americans foster a greater appreciation for children and human life.

Steve Rupp, Vice President of Missouri Right to Life, shares the following story of how it made such a monumental impact on one mother considering an abortion that she changed her mind:

With the horrid news from Connecticut–that is like an arrow piercing America’s heart–comes a story of tragedy turned triumphant.

My young nephew was running his small restaurant in Des Moines earlier this week when one of his employees came in to the store and asked if she could get her paycheck a little early. While he was in the office cutting her check, she sat at one of the WiFi computers to wait. On the screen, the story of the school shootings was being broadcast. The young lady started sobbing uncontrollably.

My nephew came out to console her and brought her back into his office to let her compose herself when she told him, “I needed my paycheck early because I have an appointment at Planned Parenthood this afternoon to have an abortion.” And then she said, “After seeing all of those innocent young children dying and all of those mothers who have had their children taken from them, I can’t go through with this abortion!”

http://www.lifenews.com/2012/12/21/mom-changes-mind-about-abortion-after-newtown-shooting/

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, just giving her story to lifesite news will suffice.

Quoting PamR:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting mmccrea:

That seems like fiction to me.  But, whatever.  She will probably regret it later.

I would agree that this story seems like fiction.

But I don't know, if it is a true story, that someone would regret their decision not to abort.

I will say that someone who could be turned from asking for a paycheck early to announcing to their boss that they were going to abort and then changed their mind because of such a tragedy likely wasn't all that attached to the idea of the abortion in the first place.

I can't imagine announcing such a thing to an employer, it seems like it would be so personal.

ETA:  As I was writing this it was making me think why the story was bothering me.  Yes, it seems contrived, but it also posits that people get abortions capriciously.  What are the circumstances that would make this young woman want to get one in the first place, and how did the tragedy in Newtown change those circumstances?

I think most people who choose abortion are not doing it on a whim.

I have to agree that this story seems contrived, but assuming that it isn't, what does this mother intend to do regarding her mind changing?  Is she planning to use this to help educate kids about sex and birth control?  Help young women in an unplanned pregnancy?  Or stand in front of a clinic and "protest?"

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I agree, I find elements of this story to be somewhat hard to believe.

I find it offensive that Newtown is now being used by a pro-life publication to further it's agenda. This woman's very public choice not abort and CREDITING (ugh) Newtown for her decision is contrived and really, really distasteful. And that's putting it mildly.

So you consider saving a precious human life an agenda!? Thank you Kate for clearing that up. Obviously you do NOT understand God's ways. For Centuries, Jesus will use a horrific tragedy to bring good out of. Your comments are distasteful and insensitive. You do not respect the sanctity of human life.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting mmccrea:

That seems like fiction to me.  But, whatever.  She will probably regret it later.

But I don't know, if it is a true story, that someone would regret their decision not to abort.

I will say that someone who could be turned from asking for a paycheck early to announcing to their boss that they were going to abort and then changed their mind because of such a tragedy likely wasn't all that attached to the idea of the abortion in the first place.

I can't imagine announcing such a thing to an employer, it seems like it would be so personal.

ETA:  As I was writing this it was making me think why the story was bothering me.  Yes, it seems contrived, but it also posits that people get abortions capriciously.  What are the circumstances that would make this young woman want to get one in the first place, and how did the tragedy in Newtown change those circumstances?

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting mikiemom:

I support every woman's right to make choices for her own body.

I agree but when 2 bodies are involved, a woman has no right to kill her unborn child. Wait til the baby is born. Then do whatever you wish to YOUR body. A woman's body was never created to kill her baby. Inhumane and callous~

mikiemom
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I agree with this. I find anyone using this tragedy to support any agenda to be distasteful and tacky. This country lost all semblance of tact when they started supporting men who outragious claims about Rape in order to support their anti-choice agenda. I can't say prochoice because most of the women screaming about abortion are pro-gun, pro-death-penalty, anti-feed the poor etc.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I find it offensive that Newtown is now being used by a pro-life publication to further it's agenda. This woman's very public choice not abort and CREDITING (ugh) Newtown for her decision is contrived and really, really distasteful. And that's putting it mildly.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting mmccrea:

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM
2 moms liked this

I just don't get the point of this. Is it to find some good out of all the bad? How about the 26 Acts of Kindness that went viral? Or the new school for Sandy Hook students so they have a new place to go to and start over? Or the first responders who sacrificed their own emotional well-being to run into that horrific scene trying to save lives?

I honestly should not have even opened this post. It makes me sad that Newtown is being used in such a way.

mikiemom
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

The fetus is part of mom's body until it is viable outside the womb. Sorry but it's mom's body mom's choice. I don't believe your soul is there until you take your first breath.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting mikiemom:

I support every woman's right to make choices for her own body.

I agree but when 2 bodies are involved, a woman has no right to kill her unborn child. Wait til the baby is born. Then do whatever you wish to YOUR body. A woman's body was never created to kill her baby. Inhumane and callous~

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

So you consider saving a precious human life an agenda!? Thank you Kate for clearing that up. Obviously you do NOT understand God's ways. For Centuries, Jesus will use a horrific tragedy to bring good out of. Your comments are distasteful and insensitive. You do not respect the sanctity of human life.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting mmccrea:

The "agenda" is using a tragedy like Newtown to try and further your own political agenda, which is what is happening in this story.

If this woman is real and her story is real and she has a baby she loves and is happy, that's great.

It has no bearing on most people's reality and experience.  It makes it seem that women take abortion very lightly and don't think their decisions through.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this

Kate, there are things all across the news about the 26 Acts, the new school, first responders.  Everyday, too.  Then one article is posted in here, and it shouldn't be?  Post one on the things you mentioned - maybe that would help you deal with this kind of post?  Is it bothering some of you in here simply because someone decided NOT to abort their baby because the mom's heart was so upset over the tragedy?

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I just don't get the point of this. Is it to find some good out of all the bad? How about the 26 Acts of Kindness that went viral? Or the new school for Sandy Hook students so they have a new place to go to and start over? Or the first responders who sacrificed their own emotional well-being to run into that horrific scene trying to save lives?

I honestly should not have even opened this post. It makes me sad that Newtown is being used in such a way.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:21 AM
3 moms liked this

Again, Blonde, thank you for posting this (actually both of them!)  It seems when something like this happens where someone decides not to abort, perhaps based on her emotional reaction to the tragedy, and all of a sudden, it's termed fiction or part of an agenda.

Her boss may have been someone she felt comfortable with, like a family friend, for example.  We don't know all of the details but the fact a mom has decided to have her baby is wonderful news!

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting jcribb16:

Again, Blonde, thank you for posting this (actually both of them!)  It seems when something like this happens where someone decides not to abort, perhaps based on her emotional reaction to the tragedy, and all of a sudden, it's termed fiction or part of an agenda.

Her boss may have been someone she felt comfortable with, like a family friend, for example.  We don't know all of the details but the fact a mom has decided to have her baby is wonderful news!

There is no question that it's part of an agenda.

Whether it is truth or fiction, that's in question.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN