Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Mom Changes Mind About Abortion After Newtown Shooting 

The school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut was a terrible tragedy that took the lives of two dozen children and school officials. However, the tragedy has helped millions of Americans foster a greater appreciation for children and human life.

Steve Rupp, Vice President of Missouri Right to Life, shares the following story of how it made such a monumental impact on one mother considering an abortion that she changed her mind:

With the horrid news from Connecticut–that is like an arrow piercing America’s heart–comes a story of tragedy turned triumphant.

My young nephew was running his small restaurant in Des Moines earlier this week when one of his employees came in to the store and asked if she could get her paycheck a little early. While he was in the office cutting her check, she sat at one of the WiFi computers to wait. On the screen, the story of the school shootings was being broadcast. The young lady started sobbing uncontrollably.

My nephew came out to console her and brought her back into his office to let her compose herself when she told him, “I needed my paycheck early because I have an appointment at Planned Parenthood this afternoon to have an abortion.” And then she said, “After seeing all of those innocent young children dying and all of those mothers who have had their children taken from them, I can’t go through with this abortion!”

http://www.lifenews.com/2012/12/21/mom-changes-mind-about-abortion-after-newtown-shooting/

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Replies (31-40):
mikiemom
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM

No it's disturbing that they are using the tragedy to further their agenda. This article should simply not be news but those folks out there who have no tact or scruples want their 15 minutes of fame..

Quoting jcribb16:

Kate, there are things all across the news about the 26 Acts, the new school, first responders.  Everyday, too.  Then one article is posted in here, and it shouldn't be?  Post one on the things you mentioned - maybe that would help you deal with this kind of post?  Is it bothering some of you in here simply because someone decided NOT to abort their baby because the mom's heart was so upset over the tragedy?

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I just don't get the point of this. Is it to find some good out of all the bad? How about the 26 Acts of Kindness that went viral? Or the new school for Sandy Hook students so they have a new place to go to and start over? Or the first responders who sacrificed their own emotional well-being to run into that horrific scene trying to save lives?

I honestly should not have even opened this post. It makes me sad that Newtown is being used in such a way.

PeeperSqueak
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM
2 moms liked this

There are many that have planned to have an abortion and have changed their minds only to have the baby and fall in love completely with him or her. Or to bless another that cannot have a child.  Either way it's hard to imagine someone regretting to give life to their child.

I've known girls giving birth without a husband and supportive family. Thankfully these girls have true friends and the support of pro-life Christians opening their hearts and homes to unwed mothers and others in a crisis pregnancy.

I'm glad you have a supportive family.........you are indeed blessed : )

Quoting mmccrea:

Because she was already planning on gettting an abortion.  Everyone has their reasons, maybe she's too immature, can't support it, or whatever.  It's not like there isn't reasoning that goes into the choice to get an abortion.  

No, I do not regret being a mother.  It is the best thing that has ever happened to me.  But I have a loving husband who provides for us, and two families (mine, and my husband's), who would do ANYTHING for us.  Maybe (if this story was true), the woman doesn't have that kind of support system.  

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

Why do you think she will regret it ? Do you regret being a mother ?

Quoting mmccrea:

That seems like fiction to me.  But, whatever.  She will probably regret it later.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM

And so they should be. One article that is used by any group to promote it's agenda, is one article too many. I thought What's-His-Face on MSNBC's declaration of being anti-gun after being an ardent 2nd amendment proponent incredibly self-serving, too. It's like, "Look at me! I changed my mind thanks to Newtown! Yay me!!" I'm sorry, but they need to eff off.

Quoting jcribb16:

Kate, there are things all across the news about the 26 Acts, the new school, first responders.  Everyday, too.  Then one article is posted in here, and it shouldn't be?  Post one on the things you mentioned - maybe that would help you deal with this kind of post?  Is it bothering some of you in here simply because someone decided NOT to abort their baby because the mom's heart was so upset over the tragedy?

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I just don't get the point of this. Is it to find some good out of all the bad? How about the 26 Acts of Kindness that went viral? Or the new school for Sandy Hook students so they have a new place to go to and start over? Or the first responders who sacrificed their own emotional well-being to run into that horrific scene trying to save lives?

I honestly should not have even opened this post. It makes me sad that Newtown is being used in such a way.

blondekosmic15
Wishing everyone a very happy new year~
Yesterday at 7:08 PM
by Blonde on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mmccrea:

Because she was already planning on gettting an abortion.  Everyone has their reasons, maybe she's too immature, can't support it, or whatever.  It's not like there isn't reasoning that goes into the choice to get an abortion.  

No, I do not regret being a mother.  It is the best thing that has ever happened to me.  But I have a loving husband who provides for us, and two families (mine, and my husband's), who would do ANYTHING for us.  Maybe (if this story was true), the woman doesn't have that kind of support system.  

Thank you for sharing your appreciation of your family. Abortion is never the answer to an unplanned pregnancy. Do you realize there are many organizations, Churches, ppl who sincerely care who will help a woman experiencing a difficult pregnancy. A support system to provide love, friendship, necessity items, financial assistance, spiritual guidance, adoption referral etc to women in this situation. I have been a prolife advocate for nearly 35 yrs. I have witnessed many women change their minds when they realize ppl do care about both mother and child. Millions of babies have been born thru out the Centuries, sometimes in less than desirable environments. We do not kill our children in response to hardships they may face during life. We become active in our communities to protect the most vulnerable. We reach out with the gifts God has blessed us with. Any Nation which kills it's children is uncivilized and inhumane.

I response to this beautiful story....as a Christian I understand how God wil use a horrific tragedy which violently ended the lives of 20 children and 6 adults { not counting the shooter } to touch the heart of a young woman to spare the life of her unborn child. Sadly, some who support abortion will look for sinister reasons why this woman chose life when she deserves praise & encouragement for her decision~

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

Why do you think she will regret it ? Do you regret being a mother ?

Quoting mmccrea:

That seems like fiction to me.  But, whatever.  She will probably regret it later.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:02 AM
2 moms liked this

Perhaps I'm wrong here, but it seems that anything posted that is opposite of some's beliefs/stances in here, is usually always an agenda.  It appears that people can't honestly make different choices because then they go against what some's beliefs/stances are, and so therefore, must be either a lie, or part of an agenda.

I agree there are many out there who take advantage of a situation, for either their "fame" or for furthering an agenda.  It just seems there is no benefit of the doubt given.  If this ends up not being true, then so be it - but if it is, then I at least have given that one benefit of the doubt.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

And so they should be. One article that is used by any group to promote it's agenda, is one article too many. I thought What's-His-Face on MSNBC's declaration of being anti-gun after being an ardent 2nd amendment proponent incredibly self-serving, too. It's like, "Look at me! I changed my mind thanks to Newtown! Yay me!!" I'm sorry, but they need to eff off.

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Quoting jcribb16:

Perhaps I'm wrong here, but it seems that anything posted that is opposite of some's beliefs/stances in here, is usually always an agenda.  It appears that people can't honestly make different choices because then they go against what some's beliefs/stances are, and so therefore, must be either a lie, or part of an agenda.

I agree there are many out there who take advantage of a situation, for either their "fame" or for furthering an agenda.  It just seems there is no benefit of the doubt given.  If this ends up not being true, then so be it - but if it is, then I at least have given that one benefit of the doubt.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

No.

Lifesite News "has" a specific agenda, which is to promote the cause of making abortion illegal in America.

Because it has a specific agenda, most of what it posts will be looked at a little more closely, because they have a bias.

When a story like this is posted, which seems a little strange (not just for what the story is but that it landed on that website), people "may" think there is an agenda.

When it is on the back of a tragedy, that will make it seem even more agenda driven.

chloedee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Newtown doesn't change my pro-choice stance in the slightest (I have no idea why it would), but I'm glad that this woman made a decision that works for her! I'm thankful to live in a country where women can freely make all their reproductive choices, whatever that's abortion or giving birth.

blondekosmic15
Wishing everyone a very happy new year~
Yesterday at 7:08 PM
by Blonde on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting jcribb16:

Many who support abortion cannot stand the thought of another woman changing her mind to give life to her unborn child. This is contrary to the opinion, it's acceptable to end vulnerable life. Abortion on demand may be compromised. The purpose of a prolife site is to encourage respect for the sanctity of human life. To share stories which save lives, give women hope and perserverance during times of doubt & suffering.

Thank you, Juju. Always better to side with life, stories which promote life rather than succumb to naysayers who seek to suppress stories of hope amd praise.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

PamR
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I agree, I find elements of this story to be somewhat hard to believe.

I find it offensive that Newtown is now being used by a pro-life publication to further it's agenda. This woman's very public choice not abort and CREDITING (ugh) Newtown for her decision is contrived and really, really distasteful. And that's putting it mildly.

So you consider saving a precious human life an agenda!? Thank you Kate for clearing that up. Obviously you do NOT understand God's ways. For Centuries, Jesus will use a horrific tragedy to bring good out of. Your comments are distasteful and insensitive. You do not respect the sanctity of human life.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting mmccrea:

I would agree that this story seems like fiction.

But I don't know, if it is a true story, that someone would regret their decision not to abort.

I will say that someone who could be turned from asking for a paycheck early to announcing to their boss that they were going to abort and then changed their mind because of such a tragedy likely wasn't all that attached to the idea of the abortion in the first place.

I can't imagine announcing such a thing to an employer, it seems like it would be so personal.

ETA:  As I was writing this it was making me think why the story was bothering me.  Yes, it seems contrived, but it also posits that people get abortions capriciously.  What are the circumstances that would make this young woman want to get one in the first place, and how did the tragedy in Newtown change those circumstances?

I think most people who choose abortion are not doing it on a whim.

Perhaps Jesus would like us to use this horrific tragedy to actually address the issue that caused it, and that isn't abortion.  It's treatment for the mentally ill, the gun and violence worshipping culture we live in.  Maybe we should use this tragedy to actually address treating people who are emotionally unwell and making sure healthcare covers this type of treatment as much as it does physical illness.  Or reconsidering how we turn guns into idols, or how we find pleasure in viewing games, movies and tv that shows violent death and destruction.  Or even just considering why a private citizen anywhere needs to own a weapon that was created to efficient kill humans.  Just a few thoughts. 

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting jcribb16:

Many who support abortion cannot stand the thought of another woman changing her mind to give life to her unborn child. This is contrary to the opinion, it's acceptable to end vulnerable life. Abortion on demand. The purpose of a prolife site is to encourage respect for the sanctity of human life. To share stories which save lives, give women hope and perserverance during times of doubt & suffering.

Thank you, Juju. Always better to side with life, stories which promote life rather than succumb to naysayers who seek to suppress stories of hope amd praise.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

What I made bigger.

I find that wholly untrue.  Do you have anything to support that contention?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN