Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Mom Changes Mind About Abortion After Newtown Shooting 

The school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut was a terrible tragedy that took the lives of two dozen children and school officials. However, the tragedy has helped millions of Americans foster a greater appreciation for children and human life.

Steve Rupp, Vice President of Missouri Right to Life, shares the following story of how it made such a monumental impact on one mother considering an abortion that she changed her mind:

With the horrid news from Connecticut–that is like an arrow piercing America’s heart–comes a story of tragedy turned triumphant.

My young nephew was running his small restaurant in Des Moines earlier this week when one of his employees came in to the store and asked if she could get her paycheck a little early. While he was in the office cutting her check, she sat at one of the WiFi computers to wait. On the screen, the story of the school shootings was being broadcast. The young lady started sobbing uncontrollably.

My nephew came out to console her and brought her back into his office to let her compose herself when she told him, “I needed my paycheck early because I have an appointment at Planned Parenthood this afternoon to have an abortion.” And then she said, “After seeing all of those innocent young children dying and all of those mothers who have had their children taken from them, I can’t go through with this abortion!”

http://www.lifenews.com/2012/12/21/mom-changes-mind-about-abortion-after-newtown-shooting/

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Replies (41-50):
KamWorthy
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM
On that note, I'd like your opinion on something....my sister bought my 16 year old niece for her birthday, a life size robotic type Elphaba (the real name of the wicked witch of the west from the wizard of oz). My niece likes Elphaba from the broadway musical Wicked, are you familier? If not, here's a summery..Wicked is the untold story of the wicked witch of the west. It tells the story of how when she was younger, she was misunderstood, bullied for being born green and how this subsequently turned her into a bitter and seemingly evil person. It is a story of tolerance and compassion for those who are born different, or perhaps those who are not popular, beautiful, or good at sports. The writer of the musical was moved to write such a piece because she wanted to pose the question..."are some people born evil, or is evil thrust upon them?" My niece is drawn to the Elphaba character, not the WW of TW Wizard of Oz character. Your thought?..
Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting cbk_mom3:

While there is truly nothing good about the shooting, if it does indirectly save lives of unborn babies, then it will have left at least a good legacy.

God can draw good out of any tragedy.

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

I am very happy that she made the CHOICE.  I support any woman and the choices that she makes.

VeronicaTex
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM
4 moms liked this

Thank you for posting this article, blondekosmic.

When you post, I know you have thoroughly researched and verified the validity of the source of your articles.

As a believer in God, I have seen many tragedies, both in real life and seeing them on credible Christian and Catholic networks, that a hardened soul can be touched and a closed heart may be opened.

That is when hope and faith can be shared with the world.

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting PamR:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I agree, I find elements of this story to be somewhat hard to believe.

I find it offensive that Newtown is now being used by a pro-life publication to further it's agenda. This woman's very public choice not abort and CREDITING (ugh) Newtown for her decision is contrived and really, really distasteful. And that's putting it mildly.

So you consider saving a precious human life an agenda!? Thank you Kate for clearing that up. Obviously you do NOT understand God's ways. For Centuries, Jesus will use a horrific tragedy to bring good out of. Your comments are distasteful and insensitive. You do not respect the sanctity of human life.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting mmccrea:

That seems like fiction to me.  But, whatever.  She will probably regret it later.

I would agree that this story seems like fiction.

But I don't know, if it is a true story, that someone would regret their decision not to abort.

I will say that someone who could be turned from asking for a paycheck early to announcing to their boss that they were going to abort and then changed their mind because of such a tragedy likely wasn't all that attached to the idea of the abortion in the first place.

I can't imagine announcing such a thing to an employer, it seems like it would be so personal.

ETA:  As I was writing this it was making me think why the story was bothering me.  Yes, it seems contrived, but it also posits that people get abortions capriciously.  What are the circumstances that would make this young woman want to get one in the first place, and how did the tragedy in Newtown change those circumstances?

I think most people who choose abortion are not doing it on a whim.

Perhaps Jesus would like us to use this horrific tragedy to actually address the issue that caused it, and that isn't abortion.  It's treatment for the mentally ill, the gun and violence worshipping culture we live in.  Maybe we should use this tragedy to actually address treating people who are emotionally unwell and making sure healthcare covers this type of treatment as much as it does physical illness.  Or reconsidering how we turn guns into idols, or how we find pleasure in viewing games, movies and tv that shows violent death and destruction.  Or even just considering why a private citizen anywhere needs to own a weapon that was created to efficient kill humans.  Just a few thoughts. 

Pam, countless threads have been added to address the many issues facing this recent tragedy. The opportunity to discuss and interact concerning the potential causes of Sandy Hook are present on this forum. Pls visit these posts if you are sincerely interested in this topic. 20 innocent children were slaughtered @ this school. More than 55 million innocent babies have been slaughtered from abortion since Jan 22, 1973. A young mother chose life rather than abortion. Mother Teresa said it well....how can we complain about the violence in our streets, in our cities when we support a woman killing her own child!? Violence begets violence~

VeronicaTex
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM
3 moms liked this

I also believe, as another poster said, the tragedy of Connecticut should make us focus on the mentally ill in this country.

In addition, I believe we need to address allowing of so much violence to be emulated in TV, movies and video games.

Veronica

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM
4 moms liked this

Wonderful story of a woman who learned to see her unborn baby as a baby. Thanks for sharing.

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting blues_pagan:

I am very happy that she made the CHOICE.  I support any woman and the choices that she makes.

Thank you blues_pagan. Many who support abortion prefer to take this opportunity to downplay and even deny this woman's decision to choose life. I applaud your comment saying you are happy for her decision.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Thank you blues_pagan. Many who support abortion prefer to take this opportunity to downplay and even deny this woman's decision to choose life. I applaud your comment saying you are happy for her decision.

Who denied the woman's decision to choose life???

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I also believe, as another poster said, the tragedy of Connecticut should make us focus on the mentally ill in this country.

In addition, I believe we need to address allowing of so much violence to be emulated in TV, movies and video games.

Veronica

Don't faint, but I agree with this post.  :-)

mikiemom
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM

No they don't, you people act like there are abortion squads forcing women to have abortion. People who are pro-choice are just that. They are all about the individual making the choice for their body. I don't think anyone should be harrassed, or abused about their choice regardless of what it is.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)