Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

What actions, and beliefs make a person Conservative or Liberal?

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
  • 133 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you consider yourself a conservative, or a liberal?

Options:

Liberal

Conservative

Don't know

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 57

View Results

I see these words thrown around in here a lot.  I understand a conservative and a liberal are much more than just party affiliation.  Please share your thoughts about what makes a person a conservative, and a liberal.

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paperorplastic
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

BUMP!

paperorplastic
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

BUMP!

momtoscott
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM
5 moms liked this

I'm a tax-paying, gainfully employed, middle class, long-time married, law-abiding liberal.  I find the social aspects of conservatism deeply unappealing and meanspirited, although fiscally I am conservative.  My personal budget is balanced. 

I'd be for smaller government and less regulation if I thought industries would regulate themselves rather than collude to fleece their customers, or if I believed in the invisible hand. 

I don't know what makes a person conservative or liberal.  I grew up poor, maybe that's a reason for the views I have, although most of my older family are conservatives.

paperorplastic
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Just out of curiosity, what social aspects of conservatism are you referring to?  I'm strictly trying to educate myself on others views.

Quoting momtoscott:

I'm a tax-paying, gainfully employed, middle class, long-time married, law-abiding liberal.  I find the social aspects of conservatism deeply unappealing and meanspirited, although fiscally I am conservative.  My personal budget is balanced. 

I'd be for smaller government and less regulation if I thought industries would regulate themselves rather than collude to fleece their customers, or if I believed in the invisible hand. 

I don't know what makes a person conservative or liberal.  I grew up poor, maybe that's a reason for the views I have, although most of my older family are conservatives.

momtoscott
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM
2 moms liked this

The conservative stances on issues like gay marriage, a woman's right to choose, public assistance, etc., are not ones with which I agree. 

Quoting paperorplastic:

Just out of curiosity, what social aspects of conservatism are you referring to?  I'm strictly trying to educate myself on others views.

Quoting momtoscott:

paperorplastic
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Quoting momtoscott:

The conservative stances on issues like gay marriage, a woman's right to choose, public assistance, etc., are not ones with which I agree. 

Quoting paperorplastic:

Quoting momtoscott:

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I am neither, and you don't have that.

I am sometimes liberal and othertimes conservative.  

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I am also neither.  I am socially liberal?  I've heard that here before meaning that I believe that people should have the right to do anything they want as long as it doesn't hurt others... ie legalize marijuana but keep the DUI laws in effect because you are likely to hurt others if driving while under the influence. 

I am VERY fiscally conservative so although I believe that everyone has the right to provide for their families through any means that will not harm others I don't think the taxpayers should foot the bill. 

Anyway, I hate those terms and do not consider myself either liberal or conservative.

littlemoments99
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:28 PM
4 moms liked this

Conservatives are not mean spirited. I know the media will try and tell you that but they are lying. They always lie. I am a huge conservative and people tell me I am the sweetest person they know. I love people so much and I am always thinking of ways to help others out. I don't have tons of money but I do give my time and energy to things that are important and to people I know or don't know that need help. 

My stances on the three things you mentioned and why it's not mean or bad. 

Gay marriage: Strictly for religious reasons. I do think it's gross to watch, like when they show it on tv in shows, but I think a lot of things are gross. God is very against this because marriage was made for one man and one woman. That does not mean I don't love these people. My aunt is a lesbian and as gross as I think it is, I still love her so much and respect her, I just do not agree with her lifestyle and I know God doesn't. 

Women's right to choose: Well, this is a big one for me. I am extremely anti abotion. It's murder. I go by this. Plants have a body only. Animals have a body and a soul. Humans have a body, soul and spirit. The whole human. A person who was concieved has a spirit. Even when they are a tiny speck they have a spirit. We are the only things on earth that can know God and worship God. That's the difference. Even a tiny baby just concieved knows God. Week 1 they know God, day 1 they know God, second 1 they know God. Anthing that knows God is made in God's image and is very special to him. I do believe in the death penalty and for a very good, biblical reason, but the death penalty is for those who do wrong, a baby has done nothing wrong according to our laws. There is nothing you can charge an unborn baby for. So it doesn't deseve death for any reason. 

Public assistance: I think everyone should be given a chance or two to get back on their feet. The problem is a lot of people now a days, don't want to work. They want the government to give them everything and they don't want to have to do anything to get it. That's my problem with handouts. I think our system would work great if our citizens didn't take advantage of it. There are problems with the system. I know that. I have seen that in my own experiences. I have benefited from the government helping my family out. When my dad died my mom needed to be on WIC and food stamps because we didn't have a second income and my dad ran his own business that my mom couldn't run. It was construction and it supported our family, but without my dad we had no income. My mom was pregnant and couldn't work at the time he died. So we needed help. That's what the system is for. So I love when people can be helped like my family was.

It's not that I am so against people, it's that I am against people who don't want to work for what they have. That's not fair. That's why I am against raising taxes only for the rich. That's not fair. They have worked to get to the top and now they have made it there. That's their money. They should put into the government as much as anyone else. It's like taking halloween candy from the kids who were out for 5 hours and giving it to the kids who went to 3 houses because they were lazy. Well, they don't have as much candy as the kids who were out for 5 hours that's not fair. Yes it is. They didn't work to get their candy. You can't get something for nothing. That's not how the world is supposed to work. Why do people expect America to work that way? 

So I'm not mean. I have good reasons for believing the way I do and I think they make perfect sense. I take everything from God's point of view. I know there are people who are not Christian and that's their choice, but I know God is perfect and everything in His book is perfect so I will follow what He says and not trust anything in my mind that goes against God because I am not perfect. 

Quoting momtoscott:

Quoting paperorplastic:

Quoting momtoscott:

PamR
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Quoting momtoscott:

This is pretty much me, however, I grew up middle-class, with parents and grandparents who were Democrats (in the Bible Belt).  I am also of the generation that came of age in the 1970s, which probably colors my views of social issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)