Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

NEW HAMPSHIRE LEGISLATOR: WE NEED TO 'RESTRICT FREEDOMS' OF CONSERVATIVES

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:28 AM
  • 50 Replies

3 Jan 2013 

A New Hampshire legislator wants her constituents to know that she feels conservatives are the "single biggest threat" her state faces today, and she wants to use her powers to legislate to "pass measures that will restrict" the freedoms of  Granite State conservatives.

In a blog post made last month on the left-wing site Blue Hampshire, 3rd District State Representative Democrat Cynthia Chase advised her fellow legislators to use their positions to make New Hampshire less welcoming to any conservative or libertarian planning on moving to her state—not to mention those already in residence.

For those unaware, a conservative project of sorts has been underway in New Hampshire since 2001. The idea is that Americans of conservative ideals are to move to New Hampshire, gather in communities, run for office, and work to drive the state toward libertarianism and conservatism. It is called the "Free State Project" and adherents are called "Free Staters."

These Free Staters figure that the state’s motto, “Live Free or Die,” should really mean something and it is these citizens whose freedoms legislator Chase wants to oppress.

In her December 21 post, Chase wrote that, "Free Staters are the single biggest threat the state is facing today."

"In the opinion of this Democrat, Free Staters are the single biggest threat the state is facing today. There is, legally, nothing we can do to prevent them from moving here to take over the state, which is their openly stated goal. In this country you can move anywhere you choose and they have that same right. What we can do is to make the environment here so unwelcoming that some will choose not to come, and some may actually leave. One way is to pass measures that will restrict the 'freedoms' that they think they will find here. Another is to shine the bright light of publicity on who they are and why they are coming."

Of course, it is one thing to be a proponent of laws that might have theunintended consequences of restricting others' freedoms. If one truly believes in such policies, well, they may be disastrously wrong, but at least they'd be honestly wrong. A fine point, to be sure.

But here we have a legislator that doesn't just want to pass laws that are tangentially restrictive. She wants to purposefully use her powers to write laws to target individuals with whom she disagrees, take away their freedoms and liberties, and all in the hopes that the citizens she is oppressing might move away from her state.

As New Hampshirite Steve MacDonald notes, "this sounds like tyranny."

Imagine if a legislator had written a blog post targeting the freedoms of gays, or women, or some other minority? One would think that the media would go wild with such a story. But here we have an elected official suggesting that government be used in the United States of America to eliminate freedoms for certain citizens in order to gain political control and the media is silent.

Sounds like tyranny, indeed.

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:42 AM
7 moms liked this

Outrageous. I thought liberals were the most tolerant people on the planet! Not so much here. Libs would spit nails if conservatives ever did this to them. And we never would, because we believe in our Constitutional freedoms, such as freedom of speech, for everyone - even people with whom we disagree.

FYI -The Statement of  Intent the Free State Project asks its members to commit to:

"I hereby state my solemn intent to move to the state of New Hampshire. Once there, I will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of civil government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Not sure why Cynthia Chase is so apoplectic about conservatives and libertarians moving to NH. Sounds like the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence to me! One would almost think she specifically hates conservatives and libertarians and wants to deprive them of their civil liberties. I believe that's pretty much a no-no, even for liberals. Reminds me of the tactics of the KKK, another Democrat organization.

http://freestateproject.org/

http://www.bluehampshire.com/viewRating.do;jsessionid=3AD6ED5088988B53C345D25CB2064A9A?rateCommentId=131674

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:47 AM
10 moms liked this

How the hell do idiots like this even get elected?

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:00 AM
4 moms liked this

As New Hampshirite Steve MacDonald notes, "this sounds like tyranny."

It "is"..how much you want to bet she "idolizes" Obama..

jaysmommy04
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:18 AM
6 moms liked this

So she is feeling threatened, and she wants to bully those that she disagrees with... yes and she sounds like she is the perfect poster women for freedom and what this country is about.  Good to know thats the american way now.  Who ever we disagree with, and is an imminent threat to what we believe in, we should single them out and take away their freedom.  Score one for the dems

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I was born and raised in NH. My family has lived their for generations. And yes, in the heart of District 3! I was home at Christmas when this story broke.

Cynthia Chase is from District 8, lives in Keene but is from Rhode Island.

Her views are extreme. She is misusing her "power" granted to her when she took office. This story was first "reported" on by FreeKeene.com - the Freestater group in that area.

How can NH-ites vote in office loons like this? Flash back to Junior High. Same thing was said about our former Governor who went "national" with Ronald Reagan - John Sununu (Republican). Crazies abound. Crooks abound. Sometimes they get elected to positions. Sometimes they are run out of office.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blues_pagan
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM
5 moms liked this

This woman is definitely misuing her power. She has taken it to the extreme. But at the same time I can understand residents standing up and wanting to voice their concerns since these "free staters" sound like they want to overrun people who already live there. It sounds like they want to overtake the state which, IMO, is wrong. 

People need to stop it with the them vs us mentality.  It is sickening and sad to think that we have these underhanded battles of sorts simply because people don't share the same views.

imamomzilla
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting jaysmommy04:

So she is feeling threatened, and she wants to bully those that she disagrees with... yes and she sounds like she is the perfect poster women for freedom and what this country is about.  Good to know thats the american way now.  Who ever we disagree with, and is an imminent threat to what we believe in, we should single them out and take away their freedom.  Score one for the dems

Well stated. I would like to add, the Afforable Care Act from Obamacare a perfect ex. of diminishing our freedoms in America. Those who dissent or disagree with the gov't, shut them up!

JustCJ
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM
4 moms liked this

Yep we have them on both sides...and they should never 'define' that side.

Quoting blues_pagan:

This woman is definitely misuing her power. She has taken it to the extreme. But at the same time I can understand residents standing up and wanting to voice their concerns since these "free staters" sound like they want to overrun people who already live there. It sounds like they want to overtake the state which, IMO, is wrong. 

People need to stop it with the them vs us mentality.  It is sickening and sad to think that we have these underhanded battles of sorts simply because people don't share the same views.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM
2 moms liked this

I think she accidentally is of the understanding she lives under a dictatorship / totalitarian state like Egypt, Libya, or Venezuela. Honest mistake.

Quoting Carpy:

How the hell do idiots like this even get elected?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)