Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

NEW HAMPSHIRE LEGISLATOR: WE NEED TO 'RESTRICT FREEDOMS' OF CONSERVATIVES

Posted by   + Show Post

3 Jan 2013 

A New Hampshire legislator wants her constituents to know that she feels conservatives are the "single biggest threat" her state faces today, and she wants to use her powers to legislate to "pass measures that will restrict" the freedoms of  Granite State conservatives.

In a blog post made last month on the left-wing site Blue Hampshire, 3rd District State Representative Democrat Cynthia Chase advised her fellow legislators to use their positions to make New Hampshire less welcoming to any conservative or libertarian planning on moving to her state—not to mention those already in residence.

For those unaware, a conservative project of sorts has been underway in New Hampshire since 2001. The idea is that Americans of conservative ideals are to move to New Hampshire, gather in communities, run for office, and work to drive the state toward libertarianism and conservatism. It is called the "Free State Project" and adherents are called "Free Staters."

These Free Staters figure that the state’s motto, “Live Free or Die,” should really mean something and it is these citizens whose freedoms legislator Chase wants to oppress.

In her December 21 post, Chase wrote that, "Free Staters are the single biggest threat the state is facing today."

"In the opinion of this Democrat, Free Staters are the single biggest threat the state is facing today. There is, legally, nothing we can do to prevent them from moving here to take over the state, which is their openly stated goal. In this country you can move anywhere you choose and they have that same right. What we can do is to make the environment here so unwelcoming that some will choose not to come, and some may actually leave. One way is to pass measures that will restrict the 'freedoms' that they think they will find here. Another is to shine the bright light of publicity on who they are and why they are coming."

Of course, it is one thing to be a proponent of laws that might have theunintended consequences of restricting others' freedoms. If one truly believes in such policies, well, they may be disastrously wrong, but at least they'd be honestly wrong. A fine point, to be sure.

But here we have a legislator that doesn't just want to pass laws that are tangentially restrictive. She wants to purposefully use her powers to write laws to target individuals with whom she disagrees, take away their freedoms and liberties, and all in the hopes that the citizens she is oppressing might move away from her state.

As New Hampshirite Steve MacDonald notes, "this sounds like tyranny."

Imagine if a legislator had written a blog post targeting the freedoms of gays, or women, or some other minority? One would think that the media would go wild with such a story. But here we have an elected official suggesting that government be used in the United States of America to eliminate freedoms for certain citizens in order to gain political control and the media is silent.

Sounds like tyranny, indeed.

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:28 AM
Replies (21-30):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Carpy:

How the hell do idiots like this even get elected?

Do a quick run through of the members of this group, she would still be too conservative for some of them.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting JustCJ:

We do?

Name someone who has vocalised this type of totalitarian nonsense, on the right.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM
2 moms liked this
I am wondering if mykymom (fake name, not an actual member of Cafemom nor should it be misconstrued to be, bares no actual relationship to anyone dead or undead) can tear herself away from commenting on Ann Coulters adams apple long enough to make a repugnant remark regarding this beast.
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

These are changing - and abortion has been legal for 40 years. Ain't gonna change.

Don't think most people want to restrict Constitutional freedoms.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Choice and gay marriage (though I know there are plenty of pro-choice, pro marriage equality conservativess). The two most obvious examples.

My point is that there are people on both sides that want certain freedoms restricted, as I'm sure there are some these free state people want to restrict.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Your point, and examples please? Thanks!

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Well goodness knows we could never accuse conservatives of trying to restrict freedoms

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Are you saying you think it's illegal, or that you just don't agree with it?

Quoting LucyMom08:

I don't think she is right, but I also think the "Free State" thing is absolute bullshit...

LucyMom08
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting LucyMom08:

I don't think she is right, but I also think the "Free State" thing is absolute bullshit...

What is 'it'? The "Free State" movement or her response?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually NH is very liberal, as are most states on both coasts. Which is fine.

Why does the Free State Project scare you? People move to and from states all the time. Do you think it's illegal or do you just not like it?

How do you feel about Dearborn, MI, being the number one destination city for Muslims in America? And Glendale, CA, being the number one destination for Armenians in America? Isn't there a really good possibility that when they become citizens, that they also may wish to change certain laws? Don't people everywhere want to have input into their laws? Sounds like the democratic process to me. I don't see how that is illegal or wrong. Do you think maybe you are opposed because you may not be conservative or libertarian - who all believe in individual freedom and the Constitution as the law of the land?

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

A-men.

I'm not familiar with the Free State project so I  really can't comment on them specifically, though just from the article, they sound kind of scary. New Hampshire does have a strong libertarian streak and there are some very conservative, isolationist folks up there so it doesn't surprise me that a group like that would find it a good place to start their movement.

Quoting JustCJ:

Yep we have them on both sides...and they should never 'define' that side.

Quoting blues_pagan:

This woman is definitely misuing her power. She has taken it to the extreme. But at the same time I can understand residents standing up and wanting to voice their concerns since these "free staters" sound like they want to overrun people who already live there. It sounds like they want to overtake the state which, IMO, is wrong. 

People need to stop it with the them vs us mentality.  It is sickening and sad to think that we have these underhanded battles of sorts simply because people don't share the same views.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:06 PM

The Free State Project.

Sorry if I was not clear.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting LucyMom08:

What is 'it'? The "Free State" movement or her response?

itsmesteph11
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM

That's a she?   LOL   Now there is a true blue insane person.   That's pretty sick I think.

Friday
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Ugh. Restricting others rights or freedoms isn't the way to go.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)