Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

DEMS ON DEBT CEILING: NO CUTS, MORE TAXES

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 5:38 PM
  • 61 Replies

6 Jan 2013, 9:17 AM PDT

With the fiscal cliff deal signed into law, the nation’s attention now turns to the debt ceiling debate, scheduled to hit in the next two months. As America reaches the debt ceiling yet again – an unbelievable $16.4 trillion debt ceiling needs another increase in order to allow us to borrow more cash to pay our bills – Republicans insist that we finally begin dealing with our spending problem. That was the purpose of the fiscal cliff deal in the first place: to preserve as many of the Bush tax rates as possible, consider tax rates a finished issue, and move on to spending cuts. As Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) said on ABC’s This Week, “The tax issue is finished, over, completed. That’s behind us. Now the question is: what are we going to do about the biggest problem confronting our country and our future? And that’s our spending addiction.”

Not so fast.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi told CBS’ Face the Nation that the historically enormous tax increases just enshrined in law aren’t enough: “The President had originally said he wanted $1.6 trillion in revenue. He took it down to $1.2 trillion as a compromise in this legislation. We get $620 billion, very significant, high-end tax, changing the high-end tax rate to 39.6 percent, but that is not enough on the revenue side.” Pelosi said that the Obama regime had already made cuts to social programs like Medicare – a position the Obama re-election campaign denied repeatedly. She added that there would be no change to Medicare’s eligibility age, and wouldn’t allow cost of living adjustments to Social Security payments. And she concluded that any link between raising the debt ceiling and cutting spending wouldn’t happen: “I don’t think those two things should be related.” She went so far as to say that she’d unilaterally raise the debt ceiling in violation of the Constitution if she were president.

To bolster her argument on taxes, Pelosi didn’t actually cite statistics on economic development or job creation. Instead, she labeled her opposition “an over-the-edge crowd” of “anti-government ideologues” who are “hard to understand.” Because wanting to cut spending when you’re running a national debt the size of the combined national debts of the entire European Union is out of the mainstream, and makes you unreasonable.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3460_162-57562315/face-the-nation-transcripts-january-6-2013-pelosi-mcconnell-new-congressmen/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3460_162-57562285/pelosi-not-enough-revenue-in-fiscal-cliff-deal/

by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cbk_mom3
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:18 PM
6 moms liked this

Oh wow. THERE'S a real shocker! LOL.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM
3 moms liked this
How very unsurprising!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Friday
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:45 PM
4 moms liked this

Ugh, I really can't stand that woman. Spending must be cut, seriously.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

29again
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM
4 moms liked this

Botox is leaking into her brain, I swear. 

Simmeringhearts
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Congress gets a raise courtesy of Obama. But, the elderly doesn't?

Debrowsky
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting 29again:

Botox is leaking into her brain, I swear. 

rolling on floor

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM

No problem with that here.Payment for living in a civilized country.We should be willing to do whatever it takes as patriotic citizens.

broncfan
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM
11 moms liked this

Quoting nanaofsix531:

No problem with that here.Payment for living in a civilized country. We should be willing to do whatever it takes as patriotic citizens.

I agree 100% with your last statement,  IF 100% of citizens participated in the process.  Every able bodied person should be out doing something, if we are giving benefits (we as in those that actually DO pay federal payroll taxes)people that get the benefits should have to show up somewhere for 40 hours a week.  They can work on job skills, pick up trash, paint City Hall or prune the bushes in the park with a pair of scissors, but until EVERYONE has some skin in the game, we are going to continue on the downward path we are going now.

I do have a problem with your first line, I have a huge problem with my taxes going up, between Federal/State Income taxes we are at about 41% of gross income, that does not include SS and medicare.  40% is way to much for anyone to be expected to give, while so many give nothing.  I do not see being robbed by the government as being patriotic.

Aivlys_
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree!

Quoting broncfan:

Quoting nanaofsix531:

No problem with that here.Payment for living in a civilized country. We should be willing to do whatever it takes as patriotic citizens.

I agree 100% with your last statement,  IF 100% of citizens participated in the process.  Every able bodied person should be out doing something, if we are giving benefits (we as in those that actually DO pay federal payroll taxes)people that get the benefits should have to show up somewhere for 40 hours a week.  They can work on job skills, pick up trash, paint City Hall or prune the bushes in the park with a pair of scissors, but until EVERYONE has some skin in the game, we are going to continue on the downward path we are going now.

I do have a problem with your first line, I have a huge problem with my taxes going up, between Federal/State Income taxes we are at about 41% of gross income, that does not include SS and medicare.  40% is way to much for anyone to be expected to give, while so many give nothing.  I do not see being robbed by the government as being patriotic.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting broncfan:

Good to see you...!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN