Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Supreme Court / Stem Cell Research

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM
  • 75 Replies
Super!

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court has turned away a challenge to President Obama’s policy of expanding government-funded research using embryonic stem cells that scientists say may offer hope for new treatments for spinal injuries and Parkinson’s disease.

The court’s action brings a quiet end to a lawsuit that briefly threatened to derail all funding for such research.

A federal judge in Washington in 2010 ordered the National Institutes of Health to halt funding of the research, citing a long-standing congressional ban on spending for research in which ‚Äúhuman embryos are destroyed.‚ÄĚ

But an appeals court overturned that order and ruled last year that the ban applied only to research which destroyed human embryos so as to obtain stem cells.

President George W. Bush in 2001 had allowed limited research on several stem cell lines that were already in existence. Upon taking office in 2009, President Obama went further and said NIH could conduct ‚Äúscientifically worthy human stem cell research to the extent permitted by law.‚ÄĚ Under guidelines issued by NIH, researchers can used stem line cells derived from donated frozen embryos that are no longer needed for fertility treatments.

The three-judge panel that upheld the Obama administration’s guidelines was made up Chief Judge David Sentelle, a Reagan appointee; Judge Karen Henderson, appointed by President George H.W. Bush; and Judge Janice Rogers Brown, an appointee of President George W. Bush.

Two researchers who work with adult stem lines, including Dr. James Sherley of the Boston Biomedical Research Institute, brought the lawsuit. They were represented by several groups, including the Law of Life Project. Samuel Casey, the group‚Äôs general counsel, called the human stem cell research ‚Äúan ethical tragedy as well as a waste of the taxpayer‚Äôs money.‚ÄĚ

They appealed to the high court in the fall, but the justices denied the appeal without comment or dissent in the case, Sherley v. Sebelius.

ALSO:

Web plays incendiary role in Ohio high school rape case

Tow line is attached to beached Shell oil barge off Alaska

Four people shot and killed inside Aurora, Colo., townhome

david.savage@latimes.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM
5 moms liked this

Stem cell research shows so much promise, I'm glad we can continue good research.

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't like the fact that such a promising scientific advancement is being fought against due to people's religious beliefs.  

I support this research 100%

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM
2 moms liked this

That's good news. And the right decision. 

shannonnigans
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this
The possibilities for new cures and such are amazing, I agree.

Quoting romalove:

Stem cell research shows so much promise, I'm glad we can continue good research.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peanutx3
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:36 PM
4 moms liked this

I think it is important that stem cell research continues. 

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting shannonnigans:

The possibilities for new cures and such are amazing, I agree.

Quoting romalove:

I have recently been swabbed for potentially donating stem cells because someone I know is fighting a blood cancer and must have a stem cell transplant if they are to survive.  

just_hc
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM
2 moms liked this

I have an Uncle with Parkinsons.  To watch someone suffer from that disease...I really have no words to explain what it takes from a person.  Stem cell research is just so very important!! 

cueballsmom
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Yeah! Finally. This research NEEDS to be done!
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Each and every one of you needs to get a clue.

There is little to no promise in this research.

If there was, private investors would be all over it, it wouldn't require taxpayer money.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I think this was a good decision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN