Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

S/O Who believes the Earth is only 6,000 years old?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:07 AM
  • 187 Replies
I truly want to know how many really believe this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peanutx3
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Not I.

1Giovanni
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Not me.

smalltownmom03
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:14 AM
I do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
StephanieSH
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:20 AM
6 moms liked this

Only 6,000?  I teach an AP World History class that covers 10,000 years of human history.  We begin with the early river civilzations and that's just starting with the transition from a hunting/gathering lifestyle to farming so I would have to say I am among those who believe the earth is much older than that.

toomanypoodles
by Poodles on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:48 AM
4 moms liked this

Why?  So those that believe in a young earth can be mocked?

That's typically what I see when this question is asked.   

ashellbell
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:13 AM
No. That would be silly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting toomanypoodles:

Why?  So those that believe in a young earth can be mocked?

That's typically what I see when this question is asked.   

I have no objections to those who, as an article of faith, decide to believe that the Earth is about 6000 years old, based upon a literal interpretation of the Bible, and the chronology of kings.

My objection is to those who, despite the Bible being full of miracles, don't accept that it would take a miracle for the Earth to be 6000 years old, given the scientific evidence that it is much older.    My objection is to those who insist that the scientific evidence must also support an age of 6000 years old and who then, rather than following the scientific process, instead cherry-pick; they look only for those bits of evidence that they can use to support a younger age, ignoring any flaws in that evidence and ignoring any evidence that points the other way.

rccmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Why do you want to know?

mikiemom
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM
6 moms liked this

Not, me. I have an education that goes beyond 4th grade.

mikiemom
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM
3 moms liked this

This is what I don't understand about people who believe the world is so young. How do they reconcile the evidence of societies existing beyond their timeline. Why do they think the Earth and the Universe she lives in is bound by the christian religion. A short research jaunt into Aisian history or the Indus valley would serioulsy disrupt their beliefs. Do they just dismiss the other cultures?

Quoting StephanieSH:

Only 6,000?  I teach an AP World History class that covers 10,000 years of human history.  We begin with the early river civilzations and that's just starting with the transition from a hunting/gathering lifestyle to farming so I would have to say I am among those who believe the earth is much older than that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)