Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm Wondering What You Think Of This....

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM
  • 61 Replies
1 mom liked this

....in particular if you are a Christian, but I'm interested in all answers.

If we found life on other planets, confirmed it, would this change your view of your religion?

I am asking this because the Bible is pretty earth specific, and I'm wondering if life in other places would put any of that into question.  Do you think, if there is life in other places, that your God is the same God that created that life as well?

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rccmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:10 AM
2 moms liked this

No, I think God is great enough and creative enough to have created life on other planets. In fact, I think it is likely.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Quoting rccmom:

No, I think God is great enough and creative enough to have created life on other planets. In fact, I think it is likely.

Thanks for your response.  Do you think your God would be the same God that created life on other planets if we find it?

If it isn't life like we expect here, how would you reconcile that God made us in His image but not those creatures?

I know I'm in fanciful land, but I thought it was an interesting thing to discuss.  

mikiemom
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM

and what if that life worships a different GOD? How much would that bother you?

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Quoting mikiemom:

If another world had religion, that would be highly likely.  Even here on earth we have people worshipping different Gods.

1Giovanni
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I think my God is the same as everyones God. I think we just see God in a different light. Yes I think that God from life on another planet is the same God as mine.. They might just see him differently then I do.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Quoting 1Giovanni:

I think my God is the same as everyones God. I think we just see God in a different light. Yes I think that God from life on another planet is the same God as mine.. They might just see him differently then I do.

Thanks for your response.  To clarify in my mind where you stand, how strictly do you interpret the Bible?  How old is the earth, etc.?

mikiemom
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I get what you are saying but do you think that the existance of life on another planet would impact our world's religious views.

Quoting 1Giovanni:

rccmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting rccmom:

Thanks for your response.  Do you think your God would be the same God that created life on other planets if we find it?

If it isn't life like we expect here, how would you reconcile that God made us in His image but not those creatures?

I know I'm in fanciful land, but I thought it was an interesting thing to discuss.  

I would think that God is the same God. I am not sure what you mean if life is not like what we expect here. The image of God to me is our spirit, not our physical bodies, so a completely differently based life form, like the rock creature in the original Star Trek would not throw me for a loop in that aspect.

As long as we are being fanciful, I've wondered if the accounts of angels and demons were not actually accounts of alien life visiting this planet. Perhaps some aliens are aligned with God, and others with Satan (whatever negative force you wish to name it), engaged in some Universal struggle between good and evil, and our planet is caught up in it.

I'm a huge Fantasy/Sci Fi fan, so I have imagined various scenarios.  

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting rccmom:

I would think that God is the same God. I am not sure what you mean if life is not like what we expect here. The image of God to me is our spirit, not our physical bodies, so a completely differently based life form, like the rock creature in the original Star Trek would not throw me for a loop in that aspect.

As long as we are being fanciful, I've wondered if the accounts of angels and demons were not actually accounts of alien life visiting this planet. Perhaps some aliens are aligned with God, and others with Satan (whatever negative force you wish to name it), engaged in some Universal struggle between good and evil, and our planet is caught up in it.

I'm a huge Fantasy/Sci Fi fan, so I have imagined various scenarios.  

You are, of course, not the only person to posit that.  Did you read Chariots of the Gods?

rccmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Quoting mikiemom:

I would expect their culture and life to be different, so they would experience and view God differently. I would be very curious to find the similarities between our belief systems. Or perhaps they would have no belief system, and I would wonder why.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)