Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Are Non-Christians Patriotic?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Are atheists and other non-Christians capable of patriotism?

Options:

No

Yes

God believers who are non Christians yes, atheists no

Atheists yes, non-Christian God believers no

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 66

View Results

I'm curious.  I see things that make me wonder how atheists and other non-Christians are viewed.

You don't have to post if you don't want to, but you are welcome to explain your position if you'd like.  The poll of course allows you to answer anonymously.  :-)

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Replies (181-190):
rccmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting romalove:

So at least 9 people don't think non-Christians can be patriots, one of them having voted "other" without explanation.

Gives one pause, doesn't it.

Seems ignorant. Maybe someone hit the wrong voting button by accident? 

You are being kind.

No one has come in the thread and said 'Oh, I voted this way by accident'.

And nine people out of 60?

Hmmmm.....

I just hate thinking people really feel this way. Makes me need to go out and get a breath of fresh air.

mikiemom
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

now that made me laugh ROFL really my dog is looking at me like WTF

Quoting romalove:

Quoting mikiemom:

there is no rule in my religion to not judge others. I can believe people are idiots all day long. OH we get to have sex for pleasure to lol

Quoting jcribb16:

But you are judging her with this, using Christianity against her, that you don't go by (God's Word.)  

tsk tsk

Quoting mikiemom:

I thought Jesus said not to judge others that was god's job. I thought jesus taught ya'll to not lie? I thought jesus taught ya'll to love thy neighbor. It doesn't sound like you know what jesus teaches by heart if you think you are the one to judge who is and who isn't a true christian.

Quoting littlemoments99:

I didn't say you needed to. Did you read my post at all?

I do follow what Jesus says. Maybe you don't understand what He says. He doesn't say "Get along with everyone. Never cause an argument"

He says, "I come as the sword that separates families". He says "He has not come to bring peace". He came for such a bigger reason. The reason He came was to set us free from sin. Something no one likes talking about. That's why He says sword. No one likes to talk about sin, they get angry. I have seen it on this thread and in real life. But Jesus said to expect that people will hate you. He says "They will hate you for My name's sake." He knew. Don't tell me what Jesus teaches. I know it by heart.

He never says anyone is more patriotic than anyone else. God is not about patriatism. He wants you to be true to your country. That is a Christian attribute to be loyal and have great love for your country. But God also says you should never love your country more than God. If our country jumped ship and became this awful country that hated God and didn't let me praise Him, like some middle east countries, I would not like America. Luckily, we live in a wonderful country that allows me to worship God and I feel so blessed to live in the greatest country in the world.

Quoting mikiemom:

Nobody has a vendetta against christianity. I feel if more christians actually followed Jesus' teachings this earth would be a much more pleasant place, instead they use the bible and their religion as a means to control others and to dictate to others.

Do you recognize that you don't need to believe in your god in order to be patriotic?

Quoting littlemoments99:

I don't know why you seem to have this vendetta against Christian people. Just because we stand up for what we believe in does not mean we are awful people. We are not against people just because we defend the Bible and what it stands for. Patriatism is something everyone usually shares in a country. It's something we are all supposed to have in common. A love for this country.

I have seen a lot of division in America today. I see people who maybe love the country, but don't love our constitution and our rights. They want to change them. Like the second amendment. That is what makes me upset. People are entitled to have different views then me, but when they start trying to mess with the foundings of America and my rights, I get angry. Those are my rights and I don't want them taken away because of someone's political agenda.

Try being a Jewish atheist.

We can have sex for any reason but we always feel guilty afterwards.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting romalove:

So at least 9 people don't think non-Christians can be patriots, one of them having voted "other" without explanation.

You are being kind.

Hmmmm.....

I just hate thinking people really feel this way. Makes me need to go out and get a breath of fresh air.

I understand your feeling.

I asked the question because I wanted to see it in black and white, what I had been hearing over time through threads in the forums.

And now I have it.  It is ugly, but it is truth.

And I know what I'm dealing with.

rccmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting romalove:

You are being kind.

Hmmmm.....

I asked the question because I wanted to see it in black and white, what I had been hearing over time through threads in the forums.

Just remember it is only a snippet of people, and online people sometimes are nastier online than they are in real life. It is ugly, but it isn't the whole truth, so don't let it hurt your heart.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I really do not understand why this question has to be asked.  This is a divisive question, stirring up one side against another.  That's not right.

Every citizen in this country is capable of patriotism and has nothing whatsoever to do with religion.  I know Christians who love our country and I know disbelievers who love our country - they are proud to be an American.

I, myself, am not taking this personal, but I do feel this post was aimed at trying to see if Christians would actually admit that liberals or others who aren't Christians, aren't capable of patriotism.  Once again, the patriotism has nothing to do with religion.  Thank you.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting romalove:

You are being kind.

Hmmmm.....

Just remember it is only a snippet of people, and online people sometimes are nastier online than they are in real life. It is ugly, but it isn't the whole truth, so don't let it hurt your heart.

Thank you.

I appreciate you, and you are always kind.  :-)

It is ugly, but it isn't hurting me.  There are always going to be bullies and mean-spirited people and those who use their religion to justify any host of wrongs.  

There are also people who use religion for good, and who project kindness.  I cling to that.  

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Quoting jcribb16:

I really do not understand why this question has to be asked.  This is a divisive question, stirring up one side against another.  That's not right.

Every citizen in this country is capable of patriotism and has nothing whatsoever to do with religion.  I know Christians who love our country and I know disbelievers who love our country - they are proud to be an American.

I, myself, am not taking this personal, but I do feel this post was aimed at trying to see if Christians would actually admit that liberals or others who aren't Christians, aren't capable of patriotism.  Once again, the patriotism has nothing to do with religion.  Thank you.

Well I will assume you didn't vote "no" with this response.

I don't know what "liberals" have to do with this.

I specifically asked about atheists and other non-Christian believers.  I asked the question because I have seen and heard enough comments about how it's patriotic to believe in God and/or religion that I wanted to see what the results of such a question would be.

8 people voted that atheists and/or other non-Christians are not capable of patriotism.

One person voted "other" with no explanation.

Out of 60 people, that's almost 10 percent.

If that doesn't validate the question, I don't know what does.

mikiemom
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM
2 moms liked this

and nobody has had the cajones to own up to why they feel that way. Interesting. I can stand behind my beliefs and thoughts.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I stand corrected, too many threads going on.  I meant non-Christians, not Liberals.  My error.

It is unfortunate that even 1 would feel non-Christians can't be capable of patriotism.  There are military members who fight, and even sacrifice, their lives to keep our rights and freedoms intact, and they aren't all Christians. It sure shows their loyalty, dedication, and patriotism, for our country.

Remember, too, that there are different types of Christians, whether at different walks in their spiritual lives, or whether they are or are not what they claim (that's why I posted the Parable of the sower and the seed, because it explains the different types of Christians.)  Their decision is their right to choose that choice, and it would be interesting to know why.

Have you thought of the possibility of someone voting that non-christians aren't capable of patriotism, who are doing it out of spite, or perhaps deliberately to cause a stir, which would in turn, make it look bad for the Christian, and so fulfill their own personal agenda.  That would be awful for both you and the Christians.  Then someone mentioned that maybe someone clicked the wrong button by mistake - perhaps a possibility, too.

Whatever the reasons, I, personally and in my opinion, would have a problem with someone calling themselves "Christian" and yet say non-christians are not capable of patriotism.  Just my thoughts...

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Quoting jcribb16:

I stand corrected, too many threads going on.  I meant non-Christians, not Liberals.  My error.

It is unfortunate that even 1 would feel non-Christians can't be capable of patriotism.  There are military members who fight, and even sacrifice, their lives to keep our rights and freedoms intact, and they aren't all Christians. It sure shows their loyalty, dedication, and patriotism, for our country.

Remember, too, that there are different types of Christians, whether at different walks in their spiritual lives, or whether they are or are not what they claim (that's why I posted the Parable of the sower and the seed, because it explains the different types of Christians.)  Their decision is their right to choose that choice, and it would be interesting to know why.

Have you thought of the possibility of someone voting that non-christians aren't capable of patriotism, who are doing it out of spite, or perhaps deliberately to cause a stir, which would in turn, make it look bad for the Christian, and so fulfill their own personal agenda.  That would be awful for both you and the Christians.  Then someone mentioned that maybe someone clicked the wrong button by mistake - perhaps a possibility, too.

Whatever the reasons, I, personally and in my opinion, would have a problem with someone calling themselves "Christian" and yet say non-christians are not capable of patriotism.  Just my thoughts...

It wouldn't occur to me that someone would be voting to cause a stir on purpose or out of spite because my mind doesn't work that way.  Like what I say or don't, I am always honest in expressing my thoughts.

Thank you for yours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN