Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Are Non-Christians Patriotic?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Are atheists and other non-Christians capable of patriotism?

Options:

No

Yes

God believers who are non Christians yes, atheists no

Atheists yes, non-Christian God believers no

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 66

View Results

I'm curious.  I see things that make me wonder how atheists and other non-Christians are viewed.

You don't have to post if you don't want to, but you are welcome to explain your position if you'd like.  The poll of course allows you to answer anonymously.  :-)

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Replies (21-30):
blues_pagan
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM

LOL love how the one person who chose no hasn't even come here to explain why.

Dzyre1115
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Your issues with Christianity are no concern of mine.....

Quoting mikiemom:

I love how ya'll pick and choose which rules to follow and assume it will all be good in the end if you just say sorry. That in a nutshell is my issue with christianity.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Maybe, but that's a sin that can be forgiven!

Quoting mikiemom:

I thought christ frowned upon arrogance?

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Well in case you haven't noticed, I'm fairly arrogant....and yes I do know!

Quoting mikiemom:

I'm not claiming to know what the afterlife is like. I find it arrogant of  you to say that you do.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

How do you know what doesn't?

Quoting mikiemom:

lol - how do you know what happens in the afterlife, have you been? have you spoken to someon that has been there?

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Sure why not, love of country doesn't mean you have to love God, it certainly helps in the afterlife though ;)

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Quoting blues_pagan:

LOL love how the one person who chose no hasn't even come here to explain why.

I clearly said they could be anonymous and not say anything.

But it would be fun.  :-)

Kmary
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

My atheist father is one of the more patriotic people I know. 

rccmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM

You've made me curious. Would you mind sharing?

Quoting blues_pagan:

Oh pick me for this one!  I have!  Near Death Experience right here!  And it isn't anything like they want to think.

Quoting mikiemom:

lol - how do you know what happens in the afterlife, have you been? have you spoken to someon that has been there?

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Sure why not, love of country doesn't mean you have to love God, it certainly helps in the afterlife though ;)

Lurion
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

OK this is a great country. I've lived in other great countries, too. I stay here because it's where I have citizenship and family, otherwise I may choose to live elsewhere. 

I see nothing, and I mean NOTHING in Jesus' teachings that would support placing any one person on this planet's well-being over any other's. Or ignoring the plight of the poor who happened to be born 100 miles south of you, calling them names and claiming that you have more right to money, power and control than they do. I see nothing Jesus-like about the way our country was founded--by slaughtering innocent FIrst Nation people, stealing their land, etc. 

What do those two concepts (patriotism and modern Christianity) have to do with one another? 

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Quoting Lurion:

OK this is a great country. I've lived in other great countries, too. I stay here because it's where I have citizenship and family, otherwise I may choose to live elsewhere. 

I see nothing, and I mean NOTHING in Jesus' teachings that would support placing any one person on this planet's well-being over any other's. Or ignoring the plight of the poor who happened to be born 100 miles south of you, calling them names and claiming that you have more right to money, power and control than they do. I see nothing Jesus-like about the way our country was founded--by slaughtering innocent FIrst Nation people, stealing their land, etc. 

What do those two concepts (patriotism and modern Christianity) have to do with one another? 

Thank you for your contribution.  :-)

Friday
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Of course, the two are not related. However, I have been told that since the Christian god IS love, you cannot truly love anyone or thing w/o him in your life. I have been told I can't be a real patriot w/o the Christian god and Daddy Bush said he didn't consider Atheists citizens or patriots so obviously some believe that.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM

May 1st 2008.  A day which I will not ever soon forget.  Went to work like every other day, active duty generator mechanic.  The first generator we went to run for the month broke and it was in the regulation that the building had to have back up power.  So we went and brought in a temporary generator.  I was working on the electrical side of the house, the electrical panel.  I checked everything to ensure there was no load on the lugs, it all checked out fine.  The only thing I could have done better was to cut off electricity to the entire building which I wasn't allowed to do.  

As I was working on getting the last lug (the ground) loosened to put the cables in my wrench slipped and unknown to me hit a lug that was miswired by the contractor.  This closed the air gap and caused an arc flash to occur.  Think of being hit with 480 volts of lightening.  I was thrown back off of the panel (the voltage was Alternating Current, AC, which pulses and throws, Direct Current, DC, it the type that latches on) and the next thing I know is having a feeling like I was standing.  I felt like I was standing in a room full of people.  The room was really bright and I saw people all around me.  Not clearly because it felt like my eyes hadn't adjusted like when you go outside from inside a dark room.  I felt like I wasn't supposed to be there, like I had crashed a party.  There was no music, just whispers.  Then as suddenly as that happened things went black and I came to, I was lying on the floor.  I will skip the details there since I don't like remembering them.  But I remember while in the ER, the doctors kept telling me to stay awake but I kept hearing a voice whisper in my ear, "go to sleep, it will all be alright if you just go to sleep".  When I heard that voice I looked over and saw my grandpa standing at the ambulance entrance of the ER.  Just standing there watching me with his hands in his bib overalls.  And that voice didn't go away, he kept telling me to just go to sleep.  Everytime I did, which was three times, I went into cardiac/respiratory arrest.  Finally I passed out and woke up a week later in a burn trauma unit.

Quoting rccmom:

You've made me curious. Would you mind sharing?

Quoting blues_pagan:

Oh pick me for this one!  I have!  Near Death Experience right here!  And it isn't anything like they want to think.

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Quoting Friday:

Of course, the two are not related. However, I have been told that since the Christian god IS love, you cannot truly love anyone or thing w/o him in your life. I have been told I can't be a real patriot w/o the Christian god and Daddy Bush said he didn't consider Atheists citizens or patriots so obviously some believe that.

Thanks for your contribution.  I have heard similar things which is why I asked the question.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN