Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

serious business (or even personal) security risk concerning copy machines

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM
  • 14 Replies

this is a clip about the little known fact that digital copiers built since 2002 have hard drives inside, which can be salvaged to give up everything the machine has ever copied, scanned or faxed. 

if you've ever duplicated your tax return, your ss and financial info is in there. 

if you run a business, your client info is in there. 

this is a HUGE security hole that not many people know, the video discusses a guy who's trying to develop a method for their owners to wipe the drive before selling or junking the machine.

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imamomzilla
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

This isn't' news. I thought everyone knew it....every biz person I know, does.

nativity

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Thanks for sharing.  I did not know this.  My copy machine is mostly used for making labels and printing my daughter's school papers.  I highly doubt any of that is useful information for a thief lol.

NWP
by Guerilla Girl on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I saw this done on a TV show plotline recently....I think it was Le Femme Nikita

autodidact
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Well, I didn't, and clearly others don't. the first secondhand machine they crack in the video is the former possesion of the state, and has info from the sex crimes division still on its drive. 

Quoting imamomzilla:

imamomzilla
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:21 PM

OK. But if you' 've done nothing wrong....you have nothing to worry about.

SURE... identity theft is a concern especially if you get your taxes done professionally.

Aren' t you the least bit worried that our inept government will have access to our medical records? You should be.

Quoting autodidact:

Well, I didn't, and clearly others don't. the first secondhand machine they crack in the video is the former possesion of the state, and has info from the sex crimes division still on its drive. 

Quoting imamomzilla:

nativity

autodidact
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Yeah this is about me and my shifty criminal past, Momzilla, Not about an attempt to share helpful information. You cracked the case, Sherlock.

And if you want to whine about the affordable care act, start your own damn thread.

Quoting imamomzilla:

SURE... identity theft is a concern especially if you get your taxes done professionally.

Aren' t you the least bit worried that our inept government will have access to our medical records? You should be.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting imamomzilla:

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting autodidact:

Yeah this is about me and my shifty criminal past, Momzilla, Not about an attempt to share helpful information. You cracked the case, Sherlock.

And if you want to whine about the affordable care act, start your own damn thread.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting imamomzilla:

It could have been worse.

She could have tried to make it into an abortion thread.

LOL

imamomzilla
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Gee. Did I hit a nerve or something? my bad. lol 

The Hall Monitor position is open. You interested or just content being a control freak? I' ll derail anytime I feel like it.

Deal with it. ;-/

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting imamomzilla:

nativity

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Quoting imamomzilla:

The Hall Monitor position is open. You interested or just content being a control freak? I' ll derail anytime I feel like it.

Deal with it. ;-/

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting imamomzilla:

So how do you handle the security risk of the copy machines in your business or home?  Perhaps you can share tips.

autodidact
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:46 PM

if that makes you feel better, you go right on believing that you hit a nerve. 

I've known for a while now that you were off the rails.  

Quoting imamomzilla:

Deal with it. ;-/

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)