Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think the president should be able to use executive action to ramp up gun control?

Posted by   + Show Post

Can President Obama Use ‘Executive Action’ to Take Away Gun Rights?

Posted by Jenny Erikson on January 9, 2013

Joe Biden says a lot of dumb things. It’s like he doesn’t even think before the words tumble out of his mouth, like when he asked the guy in the wheelchair to stand up, or mentioned that you can’t even go into a 7-Eleven without an Indian accent these days. He’s endlessly entertaining -- at least until you realize he’s second in line for the presidency. That’s another one of his bloopers, by the way ... he’s actually first in line. The Speaker of the House is second.

Anyway. Good ol’ Joe spoke to the press before a meeting with victims of gun violence, and hinted that the president might sign an executive order to combat gun violence. Given the administration’s policy toward gun rights, the insinuation seems to be that Obama is considering banning guns by executive order.

Biden said:

The president is going to act .... There are executives orders, there's executive action that can be taken. We haven't decided what that is yet. But we're compiling it all with the help of the attorney general and the rest of the cabinet members as well as legislative action that we believe is required.

That is the same attorney general that approved Operation Fast and Furious, which used taxpayer money to arm Mexican drug cartels and killed two federal agents and hundreds of innocent Mexican citizens, but I’m sure he’s qualified to offer an opinion on gun control.

Back to this whole executive order thing: The president cannot overturn parts of the Constitution that he doesn’t like. Banning our Second Amendment right to bear arms is as ludicrous as banning free speech, or disallowing women the vote. There is a process for changing federal laws, and it must be followed.

It’s almost like our founding fathers set up a system of government that makes it difficult to change our Constitutional rights. It’s called checks and balances, and it saves us from becoming a dictatorship. No matter where you fall on the gun control debate, the idea that a president could sign an executive order against any of our rights as Americans is scary.

It’s doubtful that President Obama has any intention of doing anything like that, and this is probably just the vice president speaking off-script again (seriously -- it’s like he doesn’t even realize there are cameras on him). I may not be Obama’s biggest fan, but I have faith that he won’t bypass the legislative process for a pet issue.

Have no fear, gun owners of America. Your gun rights are safe ... for now at least.

Do you think the president should be able to use executive action to ramp up gun control?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Replies (41-50):
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

did you hear about the old lady in arkansas who house was broken into and she had kids and she hid them and went out and got the intruder OUT of her house because she legally obtained a gun and forced him out?

You seem to not realize the people who are responsible with legal guns are not going out killing people!

Quoting SweetChild63:

No. I believe that you have NO right to walk armed and endangering my life. I feel more threatened by "responsible" gun owners than the so called criminal. Every gun owner IS a criminal or someone on the verge of being a criminal.

Futher your reason for wanting a gun is absurd. You're not defending anything. You're not defending yourself against the US military (which is NOT the purpose of the 2nd amendment) and your not depending yourself against random crime. You're more likely to be the cause of random crime - or make a crime worse when your hero complex kicks in. And unless you're in the military you're NOT protecting a "free state." 

Quoting numbr1wmn:

LMAO you call people who want our amendments to stay intact a mental illness. See, Mental illiness is for those who believe in dictatorship and those who are deluted.

Quoting SweetChild63:

Absolutely! The right wing's crazy obession with guns is a mental illness! They live their lives in fear and it's driving them mad!!! They need to be rounded up and shipped off to those FEMA camps they keep ranting about to keep America safe for normal people.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM
2 moms liked this

Omg you really need to back up your statement with facts because clearly you don't have much of a clue on this subject.  Medical malpratice kills more people than guns do.

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting SweetChild63:

No. I believe that you have NO right to walk armed and endangering my life. How? Untrained overzealous gun nuts with hero complexes. You know like the "responsible gun owner in Florida who shot a man for complaining about poor service at a pizza parlor. He's not the exception. He's the rule. Morons walking around with guns straped to their hips thinking they're the f'n sheriff.  I feel more threatened by "responsible" gun owners than the so called criminal. Every gun owner IS a criminal or someone on the verge of being a criminal. Every gun owner IS a criminal? Really? How did you reach that conclusion? Gun nuts short tempers = crime. See above. Crimes of "passion" happen because of easy access to guns by "responsible" gun owners. Too many family murders and murder/suicides to list. Google it -- or read the paper. And let's talk about the guns stolen from "resonsible" gun owners later used in crimes. That makes the "responsible" gun owner an accessory to a crime - and they should be prosecuted as such. 

Futher your reason for wanting a gun is absurd. You're not defending anything. I guess you should tell that to the woman who hid herself and her 9 year old twins. When the guy who broke into their house found them. Yeah, he wasn't interested in robbing the house but hurting the occupents, she shot him 5 times. The woman and her twins escaped while he was down. He lived and is in the hospital. Or the 12 year old girl who was home alone when she heard someone trying to break in. She called her mother who told her to get the gun, hide in a closet and call the police. The girl then called 911 and stayed on the phone with them. The guy broke into the closet and she shot him. She lived, and he went to the hospital and then to jail.

There is so MUCH MORE TO these stories. These tales have been perverted to fit the NRA agenda. Stop watching Fox!

You're not defending yourself against the US military (which is NOT the purpose of the 2nd amendment) and your not depending yourself against random crime. You're more likely to be the cause of random crime  Actually, gun-free zones are the most dangerous places. A criminal KNOWS that NO ONE is armed and can fight back against their gun. Places with CC are safer. The criminal doesn't know if you are armed or not, so they are less likely to engage you. Why else do you think the places with the strictest gun control have some of highest crime and murder rates? - Did you know that the HOME is the most likely place you'll be murdered - by a family member who is a "responsible" gun owner.  Those don't make the news much because they're NORM, not the exception. or make a crime worse when your hero complex kicks in. And unless you're in the military you're NOT protecting a "free state." 

Quoting numbr1wmn:

LMAO you call people who want our amendments to stay intact a mental illness. See, Mental illiness is for those who believe in dictatorship and those who are deluted.

Quoting SweetChild63:

Absolutely! The right wing's crazy obession with guns is a mental illness! They live their lives in fear and it's driving them mad!!! They need to be rounded up and shipped off to those FEMA camps they keep ranting about to keep America safe for normal people.

SweetChild63
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM

LOL! Yeah, I've seen the NRA meme too! Why dontcha read the FBI UCR instead of relying on cute little grahics on facebook.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Omg you really need to back up your statement with facts because clearly you don't have much of a clue on this subject.  Medical malpratice kills more people than guns do.

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting SweetChild63:

No. I believe that you have NO right to walk armed and endangering my life. How? Untrained overzealous gun nuts with hero complexes. You know like the "responsible gun owner in Florida who shot a man for complaining about poor service at a pizza parlor. He's not the exception. He's the rule. Morons walking around with guns straped to their hips thinking they're the f'n sheriff.  I feel more threatened by "responsible" gun owners than the so called criminal. Every gun owner IS a criminal or someone on the verge of being a criminal. Every gun owner IS a criminal? Really? How did you reach that conclusion? Gun nuts short tempers = crime. See above. Crimes of "passion" happen because of easy access to guns by "responsible" gun owners. Too many family murders and murder/suicides to list. Google it -- or read the paper. And let's talk about the guns stolen from "resonsible" gun owners later used in crimes. That makes the "responsible" gun owner an accessory to a crime - and they should be prosecuted as such. 

Futher your reason for wanting a gun is absurd. You're not defending anything. I guess you should tell that to the woman who hid herself and her 9 year old twins. When the guy who broke into their house found them. Yeah, he wasn't interested in robbing the house but hurting the occupents, she shot him 5 times. The woman and her twins escaped while he was down. He lived and is in the hospital. Or the 12 year old girl who was home alone when she heard someone trying to break in. She called her mother who told her to get the gun, hide in a closet and call the police. The girl then called 911 and stayed on the phone with them. The guy broke into the closet and she shot him. She lived, and he went to the hospital and then to jail.

There is so MUCH MORE TO these stories. These tales have been perverted to fit the NRA agenda. Stop watching Fox!

You're not defending yourself against the US military (which is NOT the purpose of the 2nd amendment) and your not depending yourself against random crime. You're more likely to be the cause of random crime  Actually, gun-free zones are the most dangerous places. A criminal KNOWS that NO ONE is armed and can fight back against their gun. Places with CC are safer. The criminal doesn't know if you are armed or not, so they are less likely to engage you. Why else do you think the places with the strictest gun control have some of highest crime and murder rates? - Did you know that the HOME is the most likely place you'll be murdered - by a family member who is a "responsible" gun owner.  Those don't make the news much because they're NORM, not the exception. or make a crime worse when your hero complex kicks in. And unless you're in the military you're NOT protecting a "free state." 

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting SweetChild63:

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM
4 moms liked this

Wow..by some of the replies you would think it was PR FOR criminals.. .. Take the guns away from home owners and criminals will get guns whether they are outlawed or not..and have carte blanche..

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM
2 moms liked this

http://gun.laws.com/illegal-guns/illegal-guns-statistics

Handguns are easily concealable, and as most illegal weapons are handguns, most illegal weapons will remain undiscovered. Furthermore, interestingly, gunfacts.info points out that criminals who may have committed a crime with a weapon do not actually need to obtain licenses or register their weapons, as this would be an act of self-incrimination, a ruling upheld in 1968 in the case of Haynes vs. the US.

Another study showed that five out of six gun-possessing felons did not purchase a handgun or otherwise get one through legal means, but instead procured an illegal weapon through the secondary market, or by theft.

Here are some hard facts for you!

Quoting SweetChild63:

LOL! Yeah, I've seen the NRA meme too! Why dontcha read the FBI UCR instead of relying on cute little grahics on facebook.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting SweetChild63:

SweetChild63
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Guess you missed all the news about family a homicide... According to the FBI eople are more likely to be killed by a spouse/ex souse or a child than a stranger. And parents are more likely to kill their children than a stranger. So yeah, since family members are the ones most likely to kill you, let's arm every home with a gun and make it easier. In what world is that logical?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

did you hear about the old lady in arkansas who house was broken into and she had kids and she hid them and went out and got the intruder OUT of her house because she legally obtained a gun and forced him out?

You seem to not realize the people who are responsible with legal guns are not going out killing people!

Quoting SweetChild63:

No. I believe that you have NO right to walk armed and endangering my life. I feel more threatened by "responsible" gun owners than the so called criminal. Every gun owner IS a criminal or someone on the verge of being a criminal.

Futher your reason for wanting a gun is absurd. You're not defending anything. You're not defending yourself against the US military (which is NOT the purpose of the 2nd amendment) and your not depending yourself against random crime. You're more likely to be the cause of random crime - or make a crime worse when your hero complex kicks in. And unless you're in the military you're NOT protecting a "free state." 

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting SweetChild63:

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Again source please? Your opinion is NOT credible.

Quoting SweetChild63:

Guess you missed all the news about family a homicide... According to the FBI eople are more likely to be killed by a spouse/ex souse or a child than a stranger. And parents are more likely to kill their children than a stranger. So yeah, since family members are the ones most likely to kill you, let's arm every home with a gun and make it easier. In what world is that logical?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting SweetChild63:

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM
2 moms liked this
You are one scary person if you actually believe all that you posted. All your "norms" are not the norm, they are a VERY SMALL exception. You seem to think everyone who has a gun is a "gun nut."

For the most part you can't just go out and buy a gun and carry it around. You have to pass a background check, take classes, pass tests to be able to carry concealed. I know, my husband has one, and has had it for close to 20 years.

If someone steals your car , or anything from you, and commits a crime or kills someone in an accident, I guess you should be charged as an accomplice too.

Hmm, I didn't get either of those stories off Fox. The one about the 12 year old girl came off Huffpo. And if there is so "much more" to those stories, I'm sure you can educate us, right?

Do you know where the safest city in the US is? The one with the lowest crime rate and least murders? Kennesaw, GA where every home is required to have a firearm, with some exceptions. They passed the law in 1982 and while the population has gone from 5,000 to over 30,000 the crime rate has plummeted. There have been 4 people killed, and they were in the last 5 years. One of them, the shooter was not a resident. The other took place in a gun-free zone. There goes that theory that armed houses are dangerous to the occupants, in 30 years no one there has killed a family member.

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting SweetChild63:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetChild63
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

So criminals steal guns from "responisible" gun owners. Duh! That means that there's no such thing as a resonsible gun owner and the gun owner is an accessory to the crime.

http://gun.laws.com/illegal-guns/illegal-guns-statistics = unsigned article on aggregate website peddling legal services. Source fail!

Quoting numbr1wmn:

http://gun.laws.com/illegal-guns/illegal-guns-statistics

Handguns are easily concealable, and as most illegal weapons are handguns, most illegal weapons will remain undiscovered. Furthermore, interestingly, gunfacts.info points out that criminals who may have committed a crime with a weapon do not actually need to obtain licenses or register their weapons, as this would be an act of self-incrimination, a ruling upheld in 1968 in the case of Haynes vs. the US.

Another study showed that five out of six gun-possessing felons did not purchase a handgun or otherwise get one through legal means, but instead procured an illegal weapon through the secondary market, or by theft.

Here are some hard facts for you!

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting SweetChild63:

SweetChild63
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM

READ! The FBI is my source. Google it! That's the problem with the gun delusionists. They're more inclined to believe propaganda from the pro murder lobby pushing the murder industry than law enforcement.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Again source please? Your opinion is NOT credible.

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting SweetChild63:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)