Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Walmart's Hypocrisy

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:43 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was watching Travis Smiley interview Sally Field tonight (FYI - It was a two program interview and was fascinating.) and Smiley is sponsored by Walmart. They usually run a PSA kind of commercial and I've seen most of them but the one tonight was new to me. It was a message from some corporate big-wig from Walmart talking about how much Walmart has donated to the fight against hunger...ARE THEY SERIOUS?

This is a company whose employees are often recipients of food stamps and other public supported benefits because their pay is so poor. Several state are investigating if there is any way to recoup some of the costs of benefits given to full time Walmart employees.

The Walton family is among the richest in America and they refuse to, in any substantial way, share the profits with the people who help them to make them, their employees. And here they are pandering on Smiley's program and speaking of Walmart's generosity...GIVE ME A BREAK! I don't know the specifics of the tax situation of the Walton family or of Walmart but I'll bet anybody who'll take the bet a cup of tea that they use their donations to fight hunger for a tax deduction. So we as taxpayers support some of the families that despite full time employment cannot depend on Walmart for their living and they turn around and instead of paying all employees a living wage donate to fight hunger. 

Please understand I do not have any objection to taxpayer supported assistance of any kind for those of our American family that need them. I also know that Walmart can be a bit of a hot button issue here on CM. In the past when I've negatively mentioned them in replies because of their poor pay and/or benefits some CM members have replied that they, or a family member, work for Walmart and are well paid. That may well be but they are, by everything I have discovered about Walmart, the exception rather than the rule.

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Walmart does donate a hell of a lot to the communities they are in.

GaleJ
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Carpy:

Walmart does donate a hell of a lot to the communities they are in.

I know they do but still question both their motives and the results. Would the communities bebetter off in the long run if all the Walmart employees made decent wages and had reasonable benefits? Would there be less need for taxpayer supported medicaid, SNAP, housing support? Would the employees be able to pay their own way and would the money they would be spending in their communities be a better way to support those communities than the donations made by Walmart?

I just don' know, I do know this; there is something wrong with the system. When I was growing up in a lower middle class neighborhood, a retail career, yes I called it a career, meant decent pay and benefits, a discount, retirement, and often stock options or profit sharing. These were jobs with which the working men, and most women didn't work then except for single or widowed women, supported their families and for most families it was their only income. But something happened in the eighties, companies got greedy and began to reduce full time work to part time and so changed such retail jobs to less than they had been. Back then a job at Sears or J.C. Penney or Marshall Fields (I live in Chicago.) were great jobs and people worked their whole lives for their employer and then retired comfortably. I think it was better that way for everyone.

mikiemom
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I don't like the Walmart ethics and therefore have not shopped there in over 20 years.

toomanypoodles
by Poodles on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Quoting GaleJ:

I don't know the specificsof the tax situation of the Walton family or of Walmart but I'll bet anybody who'll take the bet 

And that statement alone gives you no right to make such a claim against them. 

GaleJ
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting GaleJ:

I don't know the specificsof the tax situation of the Walton family or of Walmart but I'll bet anybody who'll take the bet 

I'm sorry but what "right" do I need to have an opinion, not a claim whatever that means, and state it in an open forum in a group about "News and Politics" to which I belong? I strongly believe this to be a valid point of thought based on the reality of our tax codes and the fact that Walmart is doing it so "declaratively" and then advertising it as well. 

You may not agree and that is your right as it is to post your opinions with which I often disagree. We are, it would seem, at diametrically opposite sides of the spectrum from what I've seen of your participation here on CM but you do not get to define my right in what was obviously an expression of my opinion. I did not claim to have hard evidence and was only making a point that occurred to me.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:51 AM

It is reasonable to assume that an adult or breadwinner in an entry level job may not support their familiy as best they could in a non-entry level job designed for teenagers -and other first-time wageearners.

toomanypoodles
by Poodles on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting GaleJ:

I'm sorry but what "right" do I need to have an opinion, not a claim whatever that means, and state it in an open forum in a group about "News and Politics" to which I belong? I strongly believe this to be a valid point of thought based on the reality of our tax codes and the fact that Walmart is doing it so "declaratively" and then advertising it as well. 

You may not agree and that is your right as it is to post your opinions with which I often disagree. We are, it would seem, at diametrically opposite sides of the spectrum from what I've seen of your participation here on CM but you do not get to define my right in what was obviously an expression of my opinion. I did not claim to have hard evidence and was only making a point that occurred to me.

I think you should have some hard evidence against Walmart if you are going to make claims against them. 

That is all.  Disagree with me whenever you feel the need.  ;)

mmccrea
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Also, they do not have to follow the new Affordable Care Act regulations.  So, their insurance still will not cover pre-natal care.  They are a terrible company, but, my husband works for them, because a job is a job.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)