Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Make guns smart

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:07 AM
  • 17 Replies

Article Link:  Make guns smart

Blip from article...

Quote:

"While the debate rages on, it's worth thinking out of the box for a moment. What if we could design guns to be smarter and safer -- with hardware and software? The right technology could neutralize the killing capability of an assault weapon, even in a madman's hands."  

Personally, I liked this "think out of the box" idea.  Why have guns stayed in the stone ages for the most part?  I really found the idea of putting smart software on a gun, so it can be located when loaded, as a very interesting idea.

To continue to think outside a box, why not use "smart software" to disable any loaded gun if it enters say the vicinity of a school, shopping mall, etc...  Public locations could be installed with some type of monitor that would alert and disable any loaded gun if it enters the perimeter.

Note:  This is not a debate the article thread, instead we'd love to hear your own ideas based upon the question listed below...

What's your "think out of the box" idea on improving guns for public safety?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:13 AM
Quoting JavaMom2one:
 Public locations could be installed with some time of monitor that would alert and disable any loaded gun.

The first thing that would happen is the gun owners who happen to be paranoid would fear that a home intruder could duplicate the monitor and use it to disable the gun owner's guns when invading the gun owner's house.   So, to pre-empt that, the gun owner would seek to disable the stuff inside their gun that could disable it.

JavaMom2one
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:18 AM

The article covered that "paranoia" and what could be done regarding that possible theory.

You didn't answer the question, what's your think out of the box idea?

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting JavaMom2one:
 Public locations could be installed with some time of monitor that would alert and disable any loaded gun.

The first thing that would happen is the gun owners who happen to be paranoid would fear that a home intruder could duplicate the monitor and use it to disable the gun owner's guns when invading the gun owner's house.   So, to pre-empt that, the gun owner would seek to disable the stuff inside their gun that could disable it.

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:38 AM
Quoting JavaMom2one:

what's your think out of the box idea?

Put a net connected camera and microphone in every gun, that turns on when the gun is drawn from the holster, and uploads to storage on the net.   The storage gets deleted after 6 months, except if the police get a warrant to search it from a judge.  And that's the only time it can be read.

It won't deter crazies, or those who don't care what happens to them.   But it might cut down on other gun crime.   And of course criminals wouldn't want the system on guns they intend to use to commit a crime, so they'd disable it, which would make it easy for a cop who searched them and a found a gun with the system disabled to identify them as criminals.

JavaMom2one
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:20 AM

My think out of the box idea to "combat" the theory that someone could tamper with a "smart gun" to disable any safety system that tracks them or disabled a loaded gun in certain areas...

Make the smart gun smart enough that if someone tampers with the software, intended to protect the public against a fully loaded gun, it would ping back an alarm to the gun registry (or other state/federal institution) that said software has been tampered with on X gun, owned by and located at X address.  It should also be made a federal crime to tamper with any such "smart gun" software.

JavaMom2one
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:23 AM

Nice ideas.  The only thing I could see needing ironed out on such a "think out of the box" idea is that if it was connected to a holster it wouldn't work in all scenarios.  I don't think everyone goes around with their guns in the holster.

But I do like the idea that any gun used could be recorded via a on-board type camera type thing.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting JavaMom2one:

what's your think out of the box idea?

Put a net connected camera and microphone in every gun, that turns on when the gun is drawn from the holster, and uploads to storage on the net.   The storage gets deleted after 6 months, except if the police get a warrant to search it from a judge.  And that's the only time it can be read.

It won't deter crazies, or those who don't care what happens to them.   But it might cut down on other gun crime.   And of course criminals wouldn't want the system on guns they intend to use to commit a crime, so they'd disable it, which would make it easy for a cop who searched them and a found a gun with the system disabled to identify them as criminals.

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:57 AM

Not my idea, but one that I remember someone else suggesting:

Put a fingerprint reader on the grip or trigger of a gun, so only someone registered by the gun owner can fire it, unless they do some serious work to alter the gun.

It would cut down on unauthorised children and other relatives taking the gun without permission in a fit of rage.

I imagine insurance companies might offer lower rates to gun owners whose guns were so fitted.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:59 AM

It's good in theory but it would drive up the price of guns even more and again punishes the ones who use them for sport or hunting or just to protect their families.  I would also have concerns with it disabling the gun in a public place.  If a responsible gun owner with permits to carry a gun has one at a mall, it could save lives since criminals and whack jobs will always find ways around the law and I'm sure they could find a way around the software. 

rccmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Make it so whenever a gun is within so many feet of a school, it will set off an alarm in the school.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Now that's a good idea.  

Quoting Clairwil:

Put a fingerprint reader on the grip or trigger of a gun, so only someone registered by the gun owner can fire it, unless they do some serious work to alter the gun.

It would cut down on unauthorised children and other relatives taking the gun without permission in a fit of rage.

I imagine insurance companies might offer lower rates to gun owners whose guns were so fitted.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
That is not a horrible idea. Manufactures could put a cypher type lock where the code had to be typed in to activate it. The problem is the law abiding citizens will be disadvantaged because whatever we do the criminals will still find a way around it.
Quoting 4kidz916:

Now that's a good idea.  

Quoting Clairwil:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN