Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Article Link:  Make guns smart

Blip from article...

Quote:

"While the debate rages on, it's worth thinking out of the box for a moment. What if we could design guns to be smarter and safer -- with hardware and software? The right technology could neutralize the killing capability of an assault weapon, even in a madman's hands."  

Personally, I liked this "think out of the box" idea.  Why have guns stayed in the stone ages for the most part?  I really found the idea of putting smart software on a gun, so it can be located when loaded, as a very interesting idea.

To continue to think outside a box, why not use "smart software" to disable any loaded gun if it enters say the vicinity of a school, shopping mall, etc...  Public locations could be installed with some type of monitor that would alert and disable any loaded gun if it enters the perimeter.

Note:  This is not a debate the article thread, instead we'd love to hear your own ideas based upon the question listed below...

What's your "think out of the box" idea on improving guns for public safety?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:07 AM
Replies (11-17):
Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Hardened criminals will find a way around it.

But the 6 year old son of some doofus gun owner who leaves it around by accident, might just have his life saved.

Quoting Billiejeens:

That is not a horrible idea. Manufactures could put a cypher type lock where the code had to be typed in to activate it. The problem is the law abiding citizens will be disadvantaged because whatever we do the criminals will still find a way around it.
Quoting 4kidz916:

Now that's a good idea.  

Quoting Clairwil:

Not my idea, but one that I remember someone else suggesting:

Put a fingerprint reader on the grip or trigger of a gun, so only someone registered by the gun owner can fire it, unless they do some serious work to alter the gun.

It would cut down on unauthorised children and other relatives taking the gun without permission in a fit of rage.

I imagine insurance companies might offer lower rates to gun owners whose guns were so fitted.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:19 AM

That may be true.

Quoting Clairwil:

Hardened criminals will find a way around it.

But the 6 year old son of some doofus gun owner who leaves it around by accident, might just have his life saved.

Quoting Billiejeens:

That is not a horrible idea. Manufactures could put a cypher type lock where the code had to be typed in to activate it. The problem is the law abiding citizens will be disadvantaged because whatever we do the criminals will still find a way around it.
Quoting 4kidz916:

Now that's a good idea.  

Quoting Clairwil:

Put a fingerprint reader on the grip or trigger of a gun, so only someone registered by the gun owner can fire it, unless they do some serious work to alter the gun.

It would cut down on unauthorised children and other relatives taking the gun without permission in a fit of rage.

I imagine insurance companies might offer lower rates to gun owners whose guns were so fitted.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Some good ideas, some not so good and actually counterproductive.

One of the ideas would make it impossible to shoot a criminal who is holding a child he is kidnapping or assaulting. Not good.

A second would be an electronic version of printing the names and addresses of gun owners online, as the CT newspaper and Gawker did. An electronic way to limit privacy of the freedom of law-abiding citizens under the 2nd Amendment. Also not good.

A third idea would make it impossible to stop a shooter in a mall, church, school, etc. Counterproductive.

But a list of interesting concepts to discuss, and definitely "getting out of the box". Thanks for sharing.  :)

momtimesx4
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Ehhh technology like that will be hacked faster than an iPhone 7 conception from Steve Jobs grave.

Plus that would only work in a plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

I'd rather have technology that disables texting while driving, in/near a school, mall, movie theater, etc.   Ban texting, it will save lives.

JavaMom2one
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:25 AM

That's a nice idea too.

Quoting Clairwil:

JavaMom2one
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:30 AM

And that's why the same "smart technology" could be programed that any hacked software or disabled safety features could send a ping/alarm back to the gun registry or the local police detailing gun details, owner & address.  GPS could be used to locate the guns current location too.

Quoting momtimesx4:

Ehhh technology like that will be hacked faster than an iPhone 7 conception from Steve Jobs grave.

I'd rather have technology that disables texting while driving, in/near a school, mall, movie theater, etc.   Ban texting, it will save lives.

momtimesx4
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Technology will never work as intended anyway.

I'm still waiting for a plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

Quoting JavaMom2one:

And that's why the same "smart technology" could be programed that any hacked software or disabled safety features could send a ping/alarm back to the gun registry or the local police detailing gun details, owner & address.  GPS could be used to locate the guns current location too.

Quoting momtimesx4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN