Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

What do you think about Walmart's plan to hire every veteran looking for a job?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:35 PM
  • 10 Replies
2 moms liked this
Walmart Will Hire 'Every Veteran' Looking for a Job & That's a Beautiful Thing
Posted by Maressa Brown on January 15, 2013 

walmart and american flagOver the past few years -- especially since First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden have started working on Joining Forces, an effort to "highlight and support service members and their families, joining with top corporations and nonprofit groups to bolster their health-care, employment, and educational opportunities" -- we've seen some great progress with organizations and companies making strides to assist veterans upon their return home. Now comes exciting news that Walmart is making a huge move to make life easier for former members of the armed services. They've vowed to employ every veteran looking for work, hailing vets as “leaders with discipline, training, and a passion for service.”

The announcement today is linked to the company's five-year plan, which will officially kick off on Memorial Day, and should ultimately help 100,000 vets get hired. Awesome!

It does bear noting that vets will have to meet a couple different criteria to be eligible for the new program ... They must have left the military within the past 12 months and not have been dishonorably discharged. Fair enough.

And being that unemployment numbers among vets has been hanging out at a level much higher than the national average (for instance, in 2012, it was just below 10 percent), Walmart's plan is really a major step in the right direction to helping former members of the armed services get back into the work force. With hope, what they're doing here will really lay the groundwork for other corporations to make similar plans.

As for the FLOTUS herself? She's hailing it as a "historic" move, noting, "Walmart is setting a groundbreaking example for the private sector to follow." Cheers to that!

What do you think about Walmart's plan?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikiemom
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I actually think assuming that the only job a veteran qualified is an entry level Walmart employee is condescending. I also don't believe they will pay a living wage or offer competetive benefits. Veterans would be better served to use their time and GI  Bill benefits to complete their education and find an ethical company to work for.

ArianEponae
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM
I like that vets are getting jobs, but it's going to end up costing people hours. Vets could get a bump with the company, as in bring first in line for open positions, but idk about promising to hire every vet that applies and meets the criteria. sounds like current employees could be seeing smaller pay checks
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ArianEponae
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM
3 moms liked this
It's not about assuming, it's about vets unable to find work. Any company offering employment is a good thing. Plus, places like Walmart will work around school schedules, so they can do both.

Quoting mikiemom:

I actually think assuming that the only job a veteran qualified is an entry level Walmart employee is condescending. I also don't believe they will pay a living wage or offer competetive benefits. Veterans would be better served to use their time and GI  Bill benefits to complete their education and find an ethical company to work for.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Walmart  shake hand

SweetChild63
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I would hope they have more to look forward too than stocking shelves and mopping floors at Walmart. My son went into the military to escape that! 

Simmeringhearts
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

At least someone is trying to help the vets.

Simmeringhearts
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Not in Obama's economy

Quoting SweetChild63:

I would hope they have more to look forward too than stocking shelves and mopping floors at Walmart. My son went into the military to escape that! 

imamomzilla
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Love it! I'll shop there more to show my support.

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Quoting imamomzilla:

Love it! I'll shop there more to show my support.

We have several Superwalmarts in my area. I shop there frequently for my groceries. Obama's economy is hurting so many families today. My husband & I are doing fine but we look for ways to save as most families do in the current economic decline.

SweetChild63
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM

To Lazy or mentally ill to think past Fox? Or just completely ignorant of the training and education opportunities the miltiary provides? 

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Not in Obama's economy

Quoting SweetChild63:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)