Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

What do you think about these 23 executive orders?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM
  • 92 Replies

The POTUS just announced that he will be (and is currently as we speak) signing these 23 executive orders. What do you think of them?

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

Read more: http://www.knrs.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668&article=10704600#ixzz2IA59aElc

little.worthen

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I think it is a good start.Something had to be done.Polls are showing the American people want better gun regulation and he did it.

mikiemom
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I don't see anything wrong with this. The looneytunes folks are going to literally lose their shit over 17 though. I wonder if this will apply to cafemom -

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM

With the massive backlog our lame duck Congress has I have zero issue with what has been passed.  Times like this, where Congress will obviously drag its feet is why Presidents were given executive orders.

LucyMom08
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Most of those are common sense, and I'm wondering why they are just now being looked after...

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I am wondering why it seems that some of these were started and were then never finalized until now.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Most of those are common sense, and I'm wondering why they are just now being looked after...

jillianmayasmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM
I don't have a problem with these.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that answer lies in your original comment...if it quacks like a duck? ;)

Quoting blues_pagan:

I am wondering why it seems that some of these were started and were then never finalized until now.

Quoting LucyMom08:

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Just goes to show how useless Congress has been so far.

Quoting LucyMom08:

I think that answer lies in your original comment...if it quacks like a duck? ;)

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Thomigirl
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Good!

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

Citygirlk
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

This is a great start, but is something that should of been done years ago. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN