Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Ann Coutler: Guns aren't problem, Demographics are

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM
  • 44 Replies

Ann Coulter: Guns Aren’t the Problem, Demographics Are

The conservative pundit suggests that the country would have less gun violence if it were not so diverse.

Posted: 01/15/2013 02:49 PM EST
Ann Coulter: Guns Aren’t the Problem, Demographics Are

Ann Coulter, the conservative pundit, is once again raising eyebrows with her right-wing views. 

In the midst of a nationwide debate on gun control after the killings at Sandy Hook Elementary School,Coulter said this week that the United States does not have a gun problem, but rather a demographic one.

"On the gun crimes, we keep hearing how low they are in Europe, and oh, they're so low, and they have no guns," Coulter told Fox television’s Sean Hannity. "If you compare white populations, we have the same murder rate as Belgium."

Coulter said she had just returned from a trip to England, where she said, “they have not bought into this whole diversity enthusiasm." 

She added, “Perhaps it’s not a gun problem. It’s a demographic problem, which liberals are the ones pushing, pushing, pushing.

A lawyer, political commentator, author and syndicated columnist, Coulter has become one of the strongest— some would argue most strident â€” voices of the country’s conservative right.

Coulter is well known for her controversial comments. Last year, in another interview, she discussed her take on the state of the civil rights movement.

“Democrats are dropping the Blacks and moving on to the Hispanics,” she said last year on ABC's This Week. "There is a legacy of slavery and Jim Crow laws. We don’t owe the homeless. We don’t owe feminists. We don’t owe women who are desirous of abortions, or gays who want to get married to one another. That’s what civil rights has become for much of the left."

BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter. 

(Photo: FOX News)

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikiemom
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Can't wait to see how the racist crowd tries to defend this.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:13 PM
4 moms liked this

Oh Ann Coulter - you're such a complete asshole. 

CarolinaGirl725
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:18 PM
5 moms liked this
Come on, Ann! Turn your head all the way around again the way you did in "The Exorcist." That's my all time favorite.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting blues_pagan:

“Perhaps it’s not a gun problem. It’s a demographic problem"

You could reduce the number of gun crimes per person in America, by executing everyone who earned less than $80,000 per year.

You could reduce the number of gun crimes per person in America, by executing everyone who has an IQ below 130.

You could reduce the number of gun crimes per person in America, by executing everyone who isn't Amish.

You could reduce the number of gun crimes per person in America, by executing everyone who doesn't live in Washington State.

You could reduce the number of gun crimes per person in America, by executing everyone who doesn't have a white skin.

These things are true, but unhelpful, because nobody sane wants to execute or deport people just for belonging to a group that has a higher than average CHANCE of committing a crime.

The real question is: what do you do, with the population that you actually have?

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting blues_pagan:

“Perhaps it’s not a gun problem. It’s a demographic problem"

You could reduce the number of gun crimes per person in America, by executing everyone who earned less than $80,000 per year.

You could reduce the number of gun crimes per person in America, by executing everyone who has an IQ below 130.

You could reduce the number of gun crimes per person in America, by executing everyone who isn't Amish.

You could reduce the number of gun crimes per person in America, by executing everyone who doesn't live in Washington State.

You could reduce the number of gun crimes per person in America, by executing everyone who doesn't have a white skin.

These things are true, but unhelpful, because nobody sane wants to execute or deport people just for belonging to a group that has a higher than average CHANCE of committing a crime.

The real question is: what do you do, with the population that you actually have?

Love this but the most important one to me is the $$$$ one.

Crime is high in poorer areas.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Ann has a valid point - though I would not state it the way she does.

The fact is that all over the world, societies with the most homogeneous societies have the least violence. Which makes sense. In general, people who are more similar get along better together. In general.

On the other hand, think about the Middle East, west Asia, and Africa - The places with the most diversity of people, eg, ethnicity, politics, religion - even "denominations" of Islam, if you will - have the most violence. (See Sunni vs. Shiite vs. Kurd. See Muslim vs. Jew and Christian, etc.) Same with the US, probably the most diverse nation on the planet.

I would never say we shouldn't work toward unity and nonviolence. I don't know that this is what she's saying - but it could be interpreted that way.

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I agree with her general idea, which you basically stated here.  Diversity at times breeds hostility.  Add to that poverty and no education and you have a powder keg waiting to blow.  

But the way that Ann worded it, well she stuck to her typical lines that is for sure.  I really dislike this woman.

Quoting SallyMJ:

The fact is that all over the world, societies with the most homogeneous societies have the least violence. Which makes sense. In general, people who are more similar get along better together. In general.

On the other hand, think about the Middle East, west Asia, and Africa - The places with the most diversity of people, eg, ethnicity, politics, religion - even "denominations" of Islam, if you will - have the most violence. (See Sunni vs. Shiite vs. Kurd. See Muslim vs. Jew and Christian, etc.) Same with the US, probably the most diverse nation on the planet.

I would never say we shouldn't work toward unity and nonviolence. I don't know that this is what she's saying - but it could be interpreted that way.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM
In America most violent crime is same race on their own race

So black on black and white on white

Mostly due to living in communities together

So your point is invalid, would only be accurate if there was more races attacking other races.

Like America used to be with whites murdering blacks

Quoting SallyMJ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

So your point is invalid, would only be accurate if there was more races attacking other races.

Quoting blues_pagan:

I agree with her general idea, which you basically stated here.  Diversity at times breeds hostility.  Add to that poverty and no education and you have a powder keg waiting to blow.  

But the way that Ann worded it, well she stuck to her typical lines that is for sure.  I really dislike this woman.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blues_pagan
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM

LOL sweets, read my comment again.  I said, "at times breeds hostility".  I then went on to state other areas that breed contention between people.  So my point isn't invalid.  

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)