Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Public high school in Wisconsin indoctrinates students in ‘white privilege’ (i.e., Critical Race Theory)

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM
  • 124 Replies

By Eric Owens

12:43 AM 01/17/2013

At a small high school in a quaint Wisconsin town, students are learning geometry, chemistry and, of course, that white people have historically oppressed minorities and continue to do so in the present day.

The curriculum on “American Diversity” at Delavan-Darien High School allegedly teaches students that white skin confers a set of unfair privileges, the Daily Mail reports.

“There is not space here to list all the ways in which white privilege plays out in our lives, but it is clear that I will carry this privilege with me until the day white supremacy is erased from society,” declares University of Texas professor Robert Jensen Jensen in one paper assigned to students.

The ideas presented in the course come from a broader academic movement called Critical Race Theory. “White privilege” was defined in the class as a “set of advantages that are believed to be enjoyed by white people beyond those commonly experienced by non-white people in the same social, political, and economic spaces.”

Another assignment asked students to visit the toy aisle at the local Wal-Mart.

“They were told to go and count the number of dolls that were representative of blacks as opposed to whites,” said one parent.

The anonymous parent reportedly became disturbed when she perused some of her 18-year-old son’s course material.

“I felt it was indoctrination,” she said. “This is a radical agenda and ideology that is now embedded in our school.”

“If you’re white, you’re oppressing,” she added. “If you’re non white, you’ve been a victim.”

The incident was first reported by Brendan Pringle, of Young America's Foundation, who wrote, “This course offers a snapshot of a larger trend that has plagued university curriculum for years and has only recently crept into high school classrooms.”

Delavan-Darien School District Superintendent Robert Crist admitted that the parent’s concern “has merit” and presented himself as the voice of moderation in the midst of the kerfuffle.

“A lot of red flags go up in my mind when I look at the materials,” Crist said, according to the Mail. “Ideally, you would want to present one theory that might be way on the left and another theory that may be way on the right and if you find one in the middle you can present that, too.”

Crist said that school officials are evaluating the course and it won’t be taught again until the review process is finished.

He also suggested that propaganda about white privilege can improve critical-thinking skills.

“There are a lot of radical people in our country and across the world,” he said, according to the Mail. “They need to be ideally attuned to some of the different thought patterns that different cultures may have.”

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM

"Crist suggested that propaganda about white privilege can improve critical-thinking skills."

I think he means "Critical Race Theory thinking skills".

29again
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM
6 moms liked this

“If you’re white, you’re oppressing,” she added. “If you’re non white, you’ve been a victim.”

Complete and unadulterated BS.  No wonder we have such an entitled society these days.  All those victims! 

mikiemom
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:52 AM
3 moms liked this

exactly what is wrong with the elimination of white priviledge?

29again
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting mikiemom:

Let's eliminate affirmative action first.  Make it all a level playing field, and see how it plays out..  But I don't believe that the libprogs have the guts for that.  The only reason for anyone to fail, in their view, is that someone else oppressed them, or victimized them.  There are simply no consequences to poor choices.  Or some drivel like that. 

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM
3 moms liked this

I would Never send my kid to school with this type of bull shit.  This is what is wrong with the world today. 

mikiemom
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM
3 moms liked this

When it becomes a level playing field I would agree. We are not there yet by a long shot.

Teaching children that the concept of white priviledge is wrong is not a bad thing In my personal opinion.

white christian are losing their minds the closer minorities get to equality.

Quoting 29again:

Quoting mikiemom:

Let's eliminate affirmative action first.  Make it all a level playing field, and see how it plays out..  But I don't believe that the libprogs have the guts for that.  The only reason for anyone to fail, in their view, is that someone else oppressed them, or victimized them.  There are simply no consequences to poor choices.  Or some drivel like that. 

mikiemom
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Equality,

Quoting numbr1wmn:

I would Never send my kid to school with this type of bull shit.  This is what is wrong with the world today. 

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM
2 moms liked this

This is FAR from Equality!

Quoting mikiemom:

Equality,

Quoting numbr1wmn:

29again
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM
5 moms liked this

I agree we are not there by a long shot!  And that is because shit like this is taught!!!  How can we be equal, if we are taught that our skin color is what is most important?  Taught that this color means you are a victim, and that color means you are a victimizer?  And your last sentence completely misses anything that resembles truth.  Grow up, and responsibility for your choices and decisions!! 

Quoting mikiemom:

When it becomes a level playing field I would agree. We are not there yet by a long shot.

Teaching children that the concept of white priviledge is wrong is not a bad thing In my personal opinion.

white christian are losing their minds the closer minorities get to equality.

Quoting 29again:

Quoting mikiemom:

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM
4 moms liked this

Utter bs i'd yank my kids out of that school in the blink of an eye.All this talk of equality yet we continue to teach that which divides.I am so sick of this misuse of the word equaility.Libs spout it off constantly yet alot of their ideals divide.By the way this white cracker christian isnt losing her mind esp over your so called 'equality.' I am just smdh is all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)