Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Here await our most precious possessions in the world, and they are not protected.

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:27 AM
  • 4 Replies

Poll

Question: Does your local schools have some form of security in place today?

Options:

Yes, I'm happy with it.

Yes, but I don't think we need it.

Yes, but I think it needs to be improved upon.

No, but I wish we did have added security.

No, and I'm ok with that.

Other, please explain.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 6

View Results

Click to read the related Article:  My View: If we love our children, we need to protect them by David Thweatt 

I've highlighted just a few passages from the above mentioned article below: 

Quote:

Good parents protect their children. We protect them from the wind, sun, fire, cold, sickness, from animals, harmful philosophy, other children, predatory adults, injury when possible, their own faulty reasoning and anything else that we see as a dangerous risk to their health and well-being. They are the future, and they are precious.

Quote:

But I believe faulty logic was used to frame the 1990 gun-free school zones law, which made it illegal for most citizens to knowingly possess firearms near schools.

Quote:

What a perilous law that has become. We hung a sign on virtually every school in America that said, “Here await our most precious possessions in the world, and they are not protected.”

Quote:

Across America, we need signs in front of schools that read: “We love our children: They are protected.”

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:49 AM
2 moms liked this

Schools are statistically among the safest places to send a child.  We are all upset and agitated when we hear about gun violence at schools but that in part is because it is so unusual and shocking.  

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:58 AM

We don't have security and for the most part I'm ok with that because we're not in a high crime area but no one can ever be sure that some nut job will do something terrible.  I'd love to see the gun free zone signs come down and have certain people in the school trained and armed.

mikiemom
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Everyone of my son's schools have security commiserate to the level of risk they face.

Jalestra
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:30 AM

It's all reactionary "security" and not at all useful. I hardly see how me showing an ID is going to stop a guy from busting in with a gun and running around shooting people...is he going to stop and show his? Each classroom has a door high window BESIDE the door and NOWHERE in the room to hide...so now they lock the doors of the classroom...because I guess bullets do not penetrate wooden doors and safety glass....

I would object to turning the place into a prison, but if the measures won't HELP then why waste time? BTW, I think locking the doors ARE turning them into prisons.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN