Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

32-Year Veteran School Guard Leaves Gun In School Bathroom

Posted by   + Show Post
32-Year Veteran School Guard Leaves Gun In School Bathroom
2013/01/17
By McAllister

Students with guns @ SoonerPoll.com
The NRA made it clear – guns in schools will make them safe. “The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.” Well, unless that good guy leaves his gun in the school’s bathroom so he can neither protect his charges nor keep them from having access to his gun.

On January 13th of this year…just four days ago the Chatfield School in Lapeer, Michigan followed the directive of the NRA…to the letter. They hired an armed guard, an experienced Sheriff’s Deputy to take charge of security for their 500 child school. The announcement said “Thirty-two year retired Sheriff’s deputy in charge” and it was observed by the local Tea Party spokesperson that “a visitor to Chatfield School might mistake Clark Arnold for a smiling, kindly grandfather waiting for one of its nearly 500 students.”

Arnold, a 32-year veteran of the Lapeer County Sheriff’s Dept., as well as a firearms instructor, has been hired by the 16-year-old charter school academy as the county’s first armed school security officer. The decision was applauded by Bruce Cady, a trustee on the Chatfield Board of Directors, who added, “Absolutely. The decision was made for the good of the kids. We took the wellbeing of the kids and their safety into consideration. The events that have been happening in the schools is [sic] very concerning and that’s why we took the action we did.”

Just three days later…a report from the Flint Journal says that “A security officer at a Lapeer charter school left a firearm unattended in a school bathroom on Monday, Jan. 14, a school official said.

Further, “the security officer “made a breach in security protocol” and left an unloaded weapon in a restroom for a few moments,” said Chatfield School Director Matt Young.

Young said the school has been in contact with local authorities about the matter and wouldn’t discuss any possible repercussion for the officer, calling it “a personnel matter.” Young also declined to name the security officer.

Lapeer resident Tris Fritz, who has children in third and fifth grade at the school said “I think that some kid might not think it’s a real gun. They might think it’s a toy. They’re going to be curious, that’s the nature of a child. I know people are human and they make mistakes,” Fritz added. “That’s kind of a big mistake.”

This brings back the question of responsibility…who is responsible for an error that can cause death?

The County prosecutor Byron Konschuh said since nobody was harmed, the incident likely would not constitute a criminal charge. So again…NOBODY. And the failures that kill nearly 500 children a year, failure to properly maintain control of your weapon continue…without consequences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Replies (121-124):
romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Quoting westtxmomtobe:

My kids' schools have recently implemented locking the schools down. I like it, it makes me happy. I feel better about having to leave them there. I have thought about it and I really wish thy'd put in a buzz in system. I don't really know the details of the case in CT, I don't watch news and I don't listen to it on the radio either. So I didn't know how he had gotten in. Yeah it sucks he was able to get it period. I seen a post on facebook one of my friends shared about the security measures taken to protect money, like a bank or something don't really remember. Anyways the post went on to say how it's sad we have more security for money than we do our children's lives. I totally agree with that. I'll pay more taxes if it meant my kids' schools would have wall to wall bulletproof glass, multiple armed guards, a metal detector thingy that you have to walk through in order to gain entrance to the school. A buzz in system to even get a door open, remodeling so you can only make it to the school office and no further without a hall pass type thing. Yeah I'd pay for it, if I had the money I'd donate the money to make it happen. I hate public schools. I'm sorry and I mean no offense to any teachers, etc. here on CM but I really don't like them. The area I live in, they're awful. The test score are so low our school is facing possible budget cuts as punishment (yeah that idea makes sense?!) The only security are the now recently lockdown policy. My kids have dealt with bullies and yeah I know that's a typical school thing, but I think it's up to the staff to handle that properly and I don't feel that the situation was. If I could call the shots my kids would be homeschooled. Next year, so long as I can, they will be.

Back to the article and OP though...beyond stupid move on the guards part I agree. Thank God it was unloaded and left for what sounds like a few moments and not longer. I want to know why it wasn't on his belt? Didn't it say he was a cop? IMO load the damn gun and strap it to your waist. I thought they made gun belts with a thingy that makes it more difficult to pull the gun off of it if you are not the one wearing the belt? And don't forget the safety. And make sure the guard is die-hard! Let me be an armed guard, I sure as hell am die-hard. Loaded gun, with the thing buckled to my waist, and if some psycho has any intentions of getting it off my waist they better take me down first cause I wouldn't give up till my heart stopped.

It sickens me that's what it is coming to, but sadly I'd feel a million times better with armed staff in the school. Train some of them how to handle a gun, shoot it, etc. I say don't stop there. They need to know hand to hand combat, hostage negotiation, etc. You want me to trust you with my kids lives in a world where innocent children are gunned down so frequently it's becoming no longer shocking and not ask you to be able to protect them? That's silly. Locking the doors is a step, a baby step, in the right direction. Keep going though!

Quoting romalove:

Quoting rccmom:

The more armed guards we have, the greater the chance for such mistakes, and worse. Plus, still no absolute guarantee of the school being safe from shooters.

Same thing for armed teachers.

My daughter's school has what I call "feel good and do nothing" security.  The doors are all locked and you have to be buzzed in during normal school hours.  The ten minutes the doors are open in the morning to let the kids in they are monitored by staff and the kids must have ID to be let in (I can't tell you how many $5 fines I have paid because my daughter forgets her ID all the time).  If I come during the day, I have to not only be buzzed in but have to state why I am coming in, and stop at security and show picture ID even though they know me.  The other day I didn't have the ID and they made me leave the school to go get it, even though they know me.

Now if I was there to do something bad, I was already in the school and could have done it.  The whole policy makes no sense.  The shooter in Newtown didn't go through security procedures, he shot out a glass panel to gain entrance.  Nothing save a marksman right where he was to gain access who took him down would have stopped him.  An armed guard at the front entrance doesn't preclude someone from shooting out a back or side entrance, or shooting into a classroom from outside.

Feel good and do nothing, that's what it is.

Most school districts are struggling to pay teachers, have supplies, and educate the kids appropriately, let alone put in multiple armed guards and bulletproof glass everywhere.

I don't "mind" that they lock and buzz in and ID the kids, I just don't think it will prevent someone from doing mayhem if they choose to.  

westtxmomtobe
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Sorry if I implied that you meant it had bothered you. Didn't mean that, was just adding my opinion. As far as the pay etc. yeah I know. Pathetic when a dude who runs around throwing a ball a few months a year banks it while the person preparing our future to run the world struggles to pay off a credit card being used to get school supplies. That just irks me like crazy!!!! I guess its a good thing they don't let me make the "big" decisions cause Congress would get minimum wage and pro athletes would go back to playing for the love of the game and not the ridiculous paycheck. I mean really, how many diamonds does one need in their "grill" ?!?!?!

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Can you provide some examples?

We have here a case where kids could have gotten a free gun

Virginia tech had police officers there and columbine had armed security

Seems it didnt work

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Yes I do think so.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM

http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-man-armed-confronts-mall-shooter-183593571.html

http://blog.uritraining.com/?p=88

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Can you provide some examples?

We have here a case where kids could have gotten a free gun

Virginia tech had police officers there and columbine had armed security

Seems it didnt work

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Yes I do think so.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)