Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

32-Year Veteran School Guard Leaves Gun In School Bathroom

Posted by   + Show Post
32-Year Veteran School Guard Leaves Gun In School Bathroom
2013/01/17
By McAllister

Students with guns @ SoonerPoll.com
The NRA made it clear – guns in schools will make them safe. “The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.” Well, unless that good guy leaves his gun in the school’s bathroom so he can neither protect his charges nor keep them from having access to his gun.

On January 13th of this year…just four days ago the Chatfield School in Lapeer, Michigan followed the directive of the NRA…to the letter. They hired an armed guard, an experienced Sheriff’s Deputy to take charge of security for their 500 child school. The announcement said “Thirty-two year retired Sheriff’s deputy in charge” and it was observed by the local Tea Party spokesperson that “a visitor to Chatfield School might mistake Clark Arnold for a smiling, kindly grandfather waiting for one of its nearly 500 students.”

Arnold, a 32-year veteran of the Lapeer County Sheriff’s Dept., as well as a firearms instructor, has been hired by the 16-year-old charter school academy as the county’s first armed school security officer. The decision was applauded by Bruce Cady, a trustee on the Chatfield Board of Directors, who added, “Absolutely. The decision was made for the good of the kids. We took the wellbeing of the kids and their safety into consideration. The events that have been happening in the schools is [sic] very concerning and that’s why we took the action we did.”

Just three days later…a report from the Flint Journal says that “A security officer at a Lapeer charter school left a firearm unattended in a school bathroom on Monday, Jan. 14, a school official said.

Further, “the security officer “made a breach in security protocol” and left an unloaded weapon in a restroom for a few moments,” said Chatfield School Director Matt Young.

Young said the school has been in contact with local authorities about the matter and wouldn’t discuss any possible repercussion for the officer, calling it “a personnel matter.” Young also declined to name the security officer.

Lapeer resident Tris Fritz, who has children in third and fifth grade at the school said “I think that some kid might not think it’s a real gun. They might think it’s a toy. They’re going to be curious, that’s the nature of a child. I know people are human and they make mistakes,” Fritz added. “That’s kind of a big mistake.”

This brings back the question of responsibility…who is responsible for an error that can cause death?

The County prosecutor Byron Konschuh said since nobody was harmed, the incident likely would not constitute a criminal charge. So again…NOBODY. And the failures that kill nearly 500 children a year, failure to properly maintain control of your weapon continue…without consequences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Replies (31-40):
jessi2girls
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Considering that it was unloaded and couldn't shoot anyone.... well.. .... yeah.. because that's SOOO irresponsible to leave it UNLOADED!!! lolol.

Quoting IndigoOwl:

You wouldn't be saying "what's the big deal" if your kid had been shot by another student or shot another student or themselves as a result of this man's irresponsibility. Nope, you'd be suing. I just love people like you. You keep me laughing and shaking my head in disbelieve daily.

Quoting UpSheRises:

What's the big deal?

Guns make us safer!

jessi2girls
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

It was unloaded.. and the author is biased, there is no real news articles about it that made any headlines, only this biased author who has very inaccurate figures trying to prove a point that she can't prove!

Quoting Dzyre1115:

This is all too convenient for me to believe, I'm just not that naive.  I wonder how much he was compensated to do this?

jessi2girls
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting rccmom:

The more armed guards we have, the greater the chance for such mistakes, and worse. Plus, still no absolute guarantee of the school being safe from shooters.

My thoughts exactly. I've never understood why people the solution to our gun problem is to throw more guns at it.

funny, these mass murderers go for places that don't have guns... ... ... ... criminals will find a way to kill either way... if they don't do it with guns, they'll use bombs!  They go for something easy and vulnerable.. 

jessi2girls
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

probably asn't that concerned because it wasn't loaded. 

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

What I want to know is HOW he managed that. Did he take his belt off while using the bathroom? Most cops and security hip carry so going to the bathroom isn't a big deal. If he took it out of the holster and set it somewhere that makes no sense and is inexcusable. As a civilian I have never made a mistake like this and I carry literally everyday so I want to know how an officer did this. If he is truly a veteran officer he needs to be explaining himself, NOW.

Simmeringhearts
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM
2 moms liked this

I seriously doubt any child would be shot when the gun was unloaded! Maybe you should stop shaking your head. It is showing off your ignorance.

Quoting IndigoOwl:

You wouldn't be saying "what's the big deal" if your kid had been shot by another student or shot another student or themselves as a result of this man's irresponsibility. Nope, you'd be suing. I just love people like you. You keep me laughing and shaking my head in disbelieve daily.

Quoting UpSheRises:

What's the big deal?

Guns make us safer!

mikiemom
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM

it amazes me what some folks will defend SMDH

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM

The school has the choices of firing him and/or not depending on the circumstances..it's that simple.

ohmandy
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM

ok, we get it, it wasnt loaded.  STILL irresponsible.  its still a firearm.  a kid with an agenda COULD potentially get ahold of those bullets (not necessarily that day), or sell it illegally.  there ARE potential problems.  but no matter what side of the gun debate you are on, this is a BAD thing to have happen.

Quoting jessi2girls:

probably asn't that concerned because it wasn't loaded. 

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

What I want to know is HOW he managed that. Did he take his belt off while using the bathroom? Most cops and security hip carry so going to the bathroom isn't a big deal. If he took it out of the holster and set it somewhere that makes no sense and is inexcusable. As a civilian I have never made a mistake like this and I carry literally everyday so I want to know how an officer did this. If he is truly a veteran officer he needs to be explaining himself, NOW.

Simmeringhearts
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM

What I would like to know is why you are getting your panties all tied in a knot based on what you do not know. Does it help to pretend outrage while showing your ignorance?

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM

It did make headlines here in Michigan. The Flint Journal

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2013/01/security_guard_leaves_gun_unat.html#incart_river

Quoting jessi2girls:

It was unloaded.. and the author is biased, there is no real news articles about it that made any headlines, only this biased author who has very inaccurate figures trying to prove a point that she can't prove!

Quoting Dzyre1115:

This is all too convenient for me to believe, I'm just not that naive.  I wonder how much he was compensated to do this?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)