Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Gun Appreciation Day Sponsored By American Third Position, White Supremacist Group

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 33 Replies

Firearms enthusiasts around the country are being encouraged to head down to their local gun shops on Saturday, constitutions and American flags in hand, to send a message to President Barack Obama about Second Amendment rights -- and, of course, to buy more guns.

The event is being billed as Gun Appreciation Day and has backing from white supremacist group American Third Position (A3P), Media Matters reported on Friday.

A3P, which is listed on the Gun Appreciation Day website as a sponsor, does little through its own content to veil the fact that the political movement is dedicated to white supremacy.

In its mission statement, A3P writes that it "believes that government policy in the United States discriminates against white Americans, the majority population, and that white Americans need their own political party to fight this discrimination."

It goes on, saying that the group aims to "stop the immigrant invasion" in order to put "America first!"

A3P has been listed as a white nationalist hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

In an email to The Huffington Post last year, A3P's chairman candidly admitted to his white nationalism, saying that he found it a "just and proper position for all white people to hold."

(For more on A3P's controversial history, click over to Media Matters)

Gun Appreciation Day has raised some eyebrows for reasons apart from its questionable ties. The event's founder, Larry Ward has rejected claims that he's an extremist, but earlier this week he sparked outrage when he suggested that slavery could have been prevented in the United States if African Americans were allowed to carry guns.

"I think Martin Luther King, Jr. would agree with me if he were alive today that if African Americans had been given the right to keep and bear arms from day one of the country’s founding, perhaps slavery might not have been a chapter in our history," Ward said.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuvmyAiden
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:49 PM

So ONE sponsor makes the whole event bad? I honestly don't see them as a hate group like the kkk anyway. Thinking reverse discrimination goes on and wanting to stop illegal immigration is something plenty of folks believe in. Including those who are VERY antiracist and antihate, including myself. Do you know how many different hate groups sponsor various things we all partake in without even knowing it? There are sometimes hundreds of sponsors behind a single event. And if the founder of the event says he obviously believed slavery was bad he doesn't seem racist to me. Did you know there were neonazi groups that supported the Obama campaign as well as the New Black Panthers? Two hate groups on opposite sides of the fence and no one batted an eye that I know of. Sometimes your sponsors don't reflect exactly how you feel but sponsors are important to success.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Color me surprised.

Not really.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmccrea
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM

BUMP!

Teascha
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

They will do anything to make gun owners or supporters look bad. You are right, just because a sponsor isn't "perfect" for lack of better word doesn't make all of the people who participate bad people. lol The logic of some. 

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

So ONE sponsor makes the whole event bad? I honestly don't see them as a hate group like the kkk anyway. Thinking reverse discrimination goes on and wanting to stop illegal immigration is something plenty of folks believe in. Including those who are VERY antiracist and antihate, including myself. Do you know how many different hate groups sponsor various things we all partake in without even knowing it? There are sometimes hundreds of sponsors behind a single event. And if the founder of the event says he obviously believed slavery was bad he doesn't seem racist to me. Did you know there were neonazi groups that supported the Obama campaign as well as the New Black Panthers? Two hate groups on opposite sides of the fence and no one batted an eye that I know of. Sometimes your sponsors don't reflect exactly how you feel but sponsors are important to success.

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM
From the article:
"Larry Ward...sparked outrage when he suggested that slavery could have been prevented in the United States if African Americans were allowed to carry guns."

Lol, what? Apparently Mr. Ward is not much of a historian.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Being a white supremist is just "not perfect"?

Quoting Teascha:

They will do anything to make gun owners or supporters look bad. You are right, just because a sponsor isn't "perfect" for lack of better word doesn't make all of the people who participate bad people. lol The logic of some. 

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:50 PM
A3P, which is listed on the Gun Appreciation Day website as a sponsor, does little through its own content to veil the fact that the political movement is dedicated to white supremacy.

In its mission statement, A3P writes that it "believes that government policy in the United States discriminates against white Americans, the majority population, and that white Americans need their own political party to fight this discrimination."

They are sponsoring the event

If you had an event would YOU allow it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:50 PM

You reap what you sow....

IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:59 PM
I think that "gun appreciation day" is kind of stupid to be totally honest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Meaning?

Quoting Dzyre1115:

You reap what you sow....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN