Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

5 year old SUSPENDED From School......Wait for it.....

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM
  • 6 Replies

...........For Telling Friend She’d Shoot Her with Pink Toy Gun That Shoots Bubbles

blowing bubbles

(WZ)

Via Yahoo News:

MOUNT CARMEL, Pa. (AP) — A 5-year-old Pennsylvania girl who told another girl she was going to shoot her with a pink toy gun that blows soapy bubbles has been suspended from kindergarten.

Her family has hired an attorney to fight the punishment, which initially was 10 days but was reduced to two.

Attorney Robin Ficker says Mount Carmel Area School District officials labeled the girl a “terrorist threat” for the bubble gun remark, made Jan. 10 as both girls waited for a school bus.

Ficker says the girl didn’t even have the bubble gun with her and has never fired a real gun. He says she’s “the least terroristic person in Pennsylvania.”

School district solicitor Edward Greco tells pennlive.com (http://bit.ly/13Nu0QF ) officials are looking into the case. He said Friday school officials aren’t at liberty to discuss disciplinary actions.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Citygirlk
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Sigh... shes 5 wth is wrong with people.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
29again
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh, for heavens sake.  That ranks right up there with the little boy who was suspended for pointing his finger and pretending it was a gun.   People have GOT to get a grip! 

We want our little kids to be kids, but then we punish them as if they were teens or young adults.  Makes so much (non)sense.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:37 PM

So why does society wonder why we have a generation (or 2) of kids that don't know how to live in the real world?

5 and 6 year olds are suspended for being kids...sexual harrassment, using fingers as guns, bullying. Since when is pulling a girl's braids sexual harrassment? We're ascribing behaviors to an age that isn't mature enough to understand them.

Yet we tell them "everyone plays" "no one looses", you can re-take a test you didn't study for and failed, you can turn in homework 3 months late and get full credit. There are even school systems wanting to change "F's" to "E's" so as not to hurt the child's psyche...

Why don't we just let kids be kids and teach them responsibility, consequences, you can't get everything you want just because you want it, disappointment, and to treat others the way you'd want to be treated?

**smh**

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:51 PM
This is gettin ridiculous...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
autodidact
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:57 AM

you have an article about a suspension for pigtail pulling? the sexual harassment label I've heard applied to elementary age kids is from kids imposing themselves I on others in inappropriate ways like holding girls down and kissing them against their will. 

while I don't believe in suspension in general for first time offenders ,that IS sexual harassment and kids like that need to be told in no uncertain terms that ot I NOT acceptable. 

http://abcnews.go.com/US/t/story?id=1591633

Quoting 143myboys9496:

So why does society wonder why we have a generation (or 2) of kids that don't know how to live in the real world?

5 and 6 year olds are suspended for being kids...sexual harrassment, using fingers as guns, bullying. Since when is pulling a girl's braids sexual harrassment? We're ascribing behaviors to an age that isn't mature enough to understand them.

Yet we tell them "everyone plays" "no one looses", you can re-take a test you didn't study for and failed, you can turn in homework 3 months late and get full credit. There are even school systems wanting to change "F's" to "E's" so as not to hurt the child's psyche...

Why don't we just let kids be kids and teach them responsibility, consequences, you can't get everything you want just because you want it, disappointment, and to treat others the way you'd want to be treated?

**smh**

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:00 AM

http://www.glennsacks.com/enewsletters/enews_4_8_08.htm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/05/mark-curran-7-year-old-un_n_1130001.html

An excerpt from the last link...

"This comes after 9-year-old Emanyea from Brookside Elementary School in North Carolina was put on two-day suspension for sexual harassment after a substitute teacher overheard him calling a teacher "cute."."

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2012/05/06/First-grader-sings-LMFAO-song-suspended-for-sexual-harassment/UPI-53631336349020/

"AURORA, Colo., May 6 (UPI) -- A Colorado grade school student was suspended for singing the signature line from LMFAO's song "Sexy and I Know It," school officials said.

D'Avonte Meadows, a first-grader at an Aurora elementary school, was suspended for three days for alleged sexual harassment, KMGH-TV, Denver, reported.

"I only just said the song," D'Avonte said. "I'm sexy and I know it."

D'Avonte said recited the lyric while he and a girl were standing in lunch line for lunch."

From an attorney: http://www.ocspecialedattorney.com/elementary-students-suspended-based-on-sexual-charges/

"According to Equal Rights Advocates, there are two types of sexual harassment that occur in schools. The first is quid pro quo. This occurs where a person in authority offers a student some advantage in exchange for sexual favors, i.e. if you sleep with me, I’ll make sure you make the cheer-leading team."

"The second type of sexual harassment is hostile environment. This occurs where due to unwanted comments, touching, or gestures, a student is prevented from benefiting from their education. It is important to note that sexual harassment is perceived through the eyes of the person receiving the message, not the person who delivered it. Further, this type of harassment is almost always on-going. It occurs over an extended stretch of time. The exception to this is egregious examples of sexual harassment such as sexual battery or the like."

While I'm not saying we shouldn't teach children to "keep your hands to yourself", as adults we need to remember to "keep things in perspective".

These are children....CHILDREN..too young to understand the complexities of sex as teens and adults know them.

JMO

Quoting autodidact:

you have an article about a suspension for pigtail pulling? the sexual harassment label I've heard applied to elementary age kids is from kids imposing themselves I on others in inappropriate ways like holding girls down and kissing them against their will. 

while I don't believe in suspension in general for first time offenders ,that IS sexual harassment and kids like that need to be told in no uncertain terms that ot I NOT acceptable. 

http://abcnews.go.com/US/t/story?id=1591633

Quoting 143myboys9496:

**smh**

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)