Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Bill Clinton Warns Dems: Don’t ‘Patronize’ and Look ‘Down Your Nose’ at Gun Culture

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Eds
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this

Bill Clinton Warns Dems: Don’t ‘Patronize’ and Look ‘Down Your Nose’ at Gun Culture

Bill Clinton Warms Democratic Donors Not to Patronize Second Amendment Gun Supporters

(Photo: AP)

Former U.S. President Bill Clinton spoke with top Democratic donors at a private meeting on Saturday where, according to Politico, he warned the group to treat gun control differently than other political issues.

“Do not patronize the passionate supporters of your opponents by looking down your nose at them,” Clinton reportedly said.  “A lot of these people live in a world very different from the world lived in by the people proposing these things…”

He proceeded to explain how, though polling data is certainly useful for politicians, it doesn’t measure the emotion and enthusiasm associated with an issue.  And it’s the passion associated with gun control, Clinton argued, that makes it so delicate.

Politico continues:

Clinton dedicated a substantial portion of his 40-minute address before a joint meeting of the Obama National Finance Committee and a group of business leaders to the issue of guns and gun control, saying that it was a test-case for President Barack Obama’s grass-roots movements…

“The way the Obama campaign won Florida, won Ohio, won this election by more than projected was the combination of technology, social media and personal contact,” Clinton said. That’s “the only way that our side will ever be able to even up the votes in the midterms and as these issues come up, really touch people and talk to them about it.”

[...]

But he said that he understands the culture that permeates a state like Arkansas — where guns are a longstanding part of local culture.

A lot of these people … all they’ve got is their hunting and their fishing,” he told the Democratic financiers. “Or they’re living in a place where they don’t have much police presence. Or they’ve been listening to this stuff for so long that they believe it all.”  [Emphasis added]

In the opinion of the former president, those who are patting themselves on the back for their “brave” efforts on gun control may not be seeing the full picture.

“Do not be self-congratulatory about how brave you [are] for being for this” gun control push, he said.  “The only brave people are the people who are going to lose their jobs if they vote with you.”

Click here to find out more!

Comments (112)

• media-bias-steals-elections
    Posted on January 20, 2013 at 12:16am

That was almost nice of Mr. Clinton to say, it would have been nicer if he had stood up by talking about “We the People” instead of “those people”?

As I said yesterday, the military has taken off the shelf technology, then adapted it to allow the bean counters to get the maximum bang for the buck – by counting thousands of arms. By suggesting that “assualt weapons” are not necessary, it flies in the face of common sense, beginning with the basic shot gun shell full of buck shot – that rapidly fires several “rounds” of ammunition?

If the military takes off the shelf technology, number one, there will always be something on the shelf, number two, that means there is always another freedom to take away from your civil rights? That’s not what unites America, and that’s not what freedom is about.

• justangry
      Posted on January 20, 2013 at 1:03am

There’s really not too many more freedoms left for them to take. As far as I can tell the only right in the BoR’s that hasn’t been stripped to some degree is quartering troops in our homes.

justangry  
    • I_AM_HARRISON_BERGERON
      Posted on January 20, 2013 at 1:06am

Okay, let’s enter their world for a moment (aach cough gag). They believe that we have a right to health care and so any one that can’t afford it must be provided health care from the government.
      Let’s play this game by their rules… First amendment: I want my free government provided podium, teleprompter, and press. And don’t forget to pay my tithe for my freedom of religion. Second amendment: I want my free government arms and adequate ammunition because it’s my right.
      I’m sorry, it doesn’t work like that in the real world. In the real world the only true government right that you have is to have taxpayers pay to kill the unborn child that you shouldn’t have to be burdened with, regardless of religious oppositions which means that the government has established a national approved religious standard.
      Thus, the reason that when they claim that I don’t need ten rounds. I know that they are right… I will need much, much more than ten.

• DarkJello
      Posted on January 20, 2013 at 1:34am

The vast majority of Americans still know almost nothing about Benghazi.

Regressives know they just need to care more, and they will win often.

Too bad America loses almost every single time they do well.

DarkJello  
    • DRSAVAGE24
      Posted on January 20, 2013 at 1:35am

Let me get this straight. Bill Clinton, a democrat, just offered a stronger defense of the 2nd amendment than John Boehner, the supposed leader of the Republican party?

• Harry_Caray
      Posted on January 20, 2013 at 1:44am

Bergeron, you nailed it. That’s a great counter-viewpoint that makes the gun bans look even more foolish.

• Freedomlover_US
      Posted on January 20, 2013 at 1:55am

I don’t care what your opinion of Bill Clinton is, he is the most skilled politician I have ever seen in terms of understanding his constituency. And he is absolutely right on this.

I’m someone who thinks that there are a lot of wingnuts in the larger gun culture – I will never understand how people think owning an AK-47 will protect you from your government more than being actively involved in voting (a government that can fire a missile from an unmanned drone a few miles from outer space isn’t afraid of your ak-47; they are afraid of your vote.) BUT, I do not think they are the majority.

I am a second amendment supporter – the only thing I would change about existing gun laws is make owning a gun like owning a car – before you can buy one, you have to prove you know how to use it (like the drivers test) and you know the relevant laws about gun ownership (like the written drivers test).

I’m from NYC and live in Philly – I have never lived anywhere where if I call 911 they won’t be here in 10 minutes at the most. So denying people the right to defend themselves in a rural area strikes me as absurd. And screw the PETA people; we need MORE hunters, especially in deer country.

I wrestle with this as a social liberal, but the more I think about it, the more anti-gun regulation I become. Common sense things like mental health and criminal background screenings make sense, but if your a sane law abiding citizen, and you know how to operate your weapon, have at it

• I_AM_HARRISON_BERGERON
      Posted on January 20, 2013 at 2:05am

@Harry_Caray…
      Research my name and you will understand much more. My life story was once required reading in many schools

• booger71
      Posted on January 20, 2013 at 2:56am

I am a second amendment supporter – the only thing I would change about existing gun laws is make owning a gun like owning a car – before you can buy one, you have to prove you know how to use it (like the drivers test) and you know the relevant laws about gun ownership (like the written drivers test).=
      ======================
      Except, the right to bare arms is a natural right, guaranteed by the Bill of Rights, owning a car is not. Anytime you add qualifiers to a right, it just dilutes it further.

booger71  
    • Anonymous T. Irrelevant
      Posted on January 20, 2013 at 3:48am

BOOGER is correct. Owning a gun is a RIGHT. Driving a car is a PRIVILEGE provided by the state you live in. I understand what you are saying about knowing how to use a gun, as some stupid people shoot themselves every year either cleaning a gun, or by a hunting accident, but MOST people who are gun owners know how to use their guns. Plus, it’s nobody’s business how many guns you own, which would be a detriment to having a license on how to use a gun. You need to think it through.

Anonymous T. Irrelevant  
    • TRUTHandFREEDOM
      Posted on January 20, 2013 at 4:23am

‘Or they’ve been listening to this stuff for so long that they believe it all.”

so what he’s saying is that he/Democrats DON’T believe it all (2 A) but they need to act in a politically cautious way so tthat their comments and actions don’t cost them votes in 2014.
      In other words, he saying “Let’s be manipulative on this”.

• RepubliCorp
      Posted on January 20, 2013 at 4:55am

Freedomlover_US So you are for a national registration ? No thanks, Passing a test doesn’t show your responsible, smart or sane

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM
3 moms liked this

I see Bill is worried about votes down the road..

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Where do you disagree with what he said?

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

His "generality" about the populace is condescending (imo).. We don't "all" live in his world either and I don't "assume" to know his thoughts..likes or dislikes in general....kind of like Obama's remarks about carrying bibles and guns. (not exact words). I don't hunt or fish..but I believe in the right to right to bare arms. Except for him lying on national t.v. what do I know "personally" about him.  I don't.

A lot of these people … all they’ve got is their hunting and their fishing,” he told the Democratic financiers. “Or they’re living in a place where they don’t have much police presence. Or they’ve been listening to this stuff for so long that they believe it all.”  [Emphasis added]

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Yeah, it comes off a little smarmy - will give you that.

But I do think he touches on the real core emotional aspect, and how important it is to have a real conversation about this with people that are really passionate about the 2nd amendment and their gun rights.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

His "generality" about the populace is condescending (imo).. We don't "all" live in his world either and I don't "assume" to know his thoughts..likes or dislikes in general....kind of like Obama's remarks about carrying bibles and guns. (not exact words). I don't hunt or fish..but I believe in the right to right to bare arms. Except for him lying on national t.v. what do I know "personally" about him.  I don't.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

But I do think he touches on the real core emotional aspect, and how important it is to have a real conversation about this with people that are really passionate about the 2nd amendment and their gun rights.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

I "hear" what you are saying..but I doubt anyone who is passionate about the second amendment is going to want to go along with Obama's plan..no matter who the spokesperons is.

DawnPratt23
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:01 PM
4 moms liked this
I grew up along the boarder of NM, my dad worked for Transwestern pipeline. We dealt with 4 legged critters, drug runners, Coyotes( not the animals) nearest state trooper was 4 hours away, it is still like that in that area, and families are on their own. When I was 12, many of my show rabbits were beheaded and bodies left in the cage, state trooper said it most likely was for drug runners. Not everyone lives in the city, what takes 4 hours to drive across CT where my SIL lives, takes 2 days to drive across NM.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:19 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree that he does sound smarmy. I guess having personal armed security for most of his adult life he hasn't needed to depend on police protection like the rest of us.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Here is the google map of the area, there are no street views because it is in the middle of no where, absolutely nothing except ranchers, and loud machines pumping Natural gas. The nearest town is Corona, population of a couple hundred. this is 1984, my sister and I playing in the yard our step dad had made for us. That is a Natural Gas Pipeline behind us. 

Transwestern Pipeline Number 8 Airport 

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

29again
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Here is the google map of the area, there are no street views because it is in the middle of no where, absolutely nothing except ranchers, and loud machines pumping Natural gas. The nearest town is Corona, population of a couple hundred. this is 1984, my sister and I playing in the yard our step dad had made for us. That is a Natural Gas Pipeline behind us. 

Transwestern Pipeline Number 8 Airport 

You make me feel OLD!!!  LOL

29again
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel that Bill is being patronizing.  But he is right to say this to the dems.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)