Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Outraged Mother: School Suggested My 13-Year-Old Daughter Get Breast Reduction Surgery to Minimize Bullying

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Eds
  • 9 Replies

Outraged Mother: School Suggested My 13-Year-Old Daughter Get Breast Reduction Surgery to Minimize Bullying

St. Louis Mother Tammie Jackson: School Suggested Breast Reduction Surgery to Stop Daughters Bullying

Tammie Jackson displays a photo of her daughter on her cell phone. (Photo: KTVI)

A mother in St. Louis, Missouri was stunned after her daughter’s school allegedly suggested breast reduction surgery as a possible way to combat bullying.

Tammie Jackson said her 13-year-old daughter Gabrielle has been dealing with bullying and sexual harassment since last semester, so she called the Riverview Gardens School District to complain.

“The lady on the switchboard told me that they could transfer my daughter to a different school, but she [said] her boobs are so large that she’s going to always get teased,” the mother claimed.  “And then she told me that the only suggestion she could make is for my 13-year-old daughter to get a breast reduction.”

St. Louis Mother Tammie Jackson: School Suggested Breast Reduction Surgery to Stop Daughters Bullying

(Photo: WTVI)

Fox affiliate KTVI has more:

“It makes me feel like now you are telling me it’s my fault, it’s God’s fault the way He made her. The lady on the phone said they could transfer my daughter and said her boobs were so large she will always get teased. And the only suggestion she had for me is to have my daughter get a breast reduction,” said Jackson.

FOX 2 stopped by the school district for a response and we’re told they’re working to counsel students to resolve the bullying issue. As for the claims about the surgery, we’re told they are still looking into it.

Jackson also says her 9-year-old son Elijah has bullying issues. He has a rare heart condition and she says kids make fun of his surgical scars, causing him to make suicidal comments.

Jackson says all she wants is resolution to an issue she says can affect kids for the rest of their lives, “Talk with the kids. Let them know people’s bodies are changing, everybody is different, but God made us all great.”

Superintendent Clive Coleman reiterated that the issue is under investigation, but speculated that the controversy may be a “product of miscommunication.”

Watch KTVI’s entire report, below (skip to around 20 seconds):

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/19/outraged-mother-school-suggested-my-13-year-old-daughter-get-breast-reduction-surgery-to-minimize-bullying/

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Thomigirl
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM

More reckless reporting. I'm not buying this. The article states, 'the school'...that's broad. It suggests that the administration's solution to her daughter's bullying was breast reduction. We have a parent at my kids' school that is always claiming bullying and racism for her son who is an unruly, disrespectful kid. She's always going to the newspapers and the local news about how horrible the school is yada, yada, yada...wonder if they're related...This story sounds far fetched. She didn't think to ask 'Why am I speaking with?" Then she throws in info about her 9 year old and him getting teased for the scars on his chest and on and on and on...Why is this even a part of the story? Someone looking for 5 minutes off notoriety...

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Now here's a story you don't see everyday.

whoopsie16
by New Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM
woowww, id be pissed!
...since when is having big boobs a bad thing anyways??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
29again
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't see how a suggestion for breast reduction is a miscommunication.  I believe that was said, although it may not have been from someone with authority to speak on behalf of the school.  That is a terrible and outrageous thing to say. 

If I were this mother, I would not hesitate to transfer my daughter. 

Thomigirl
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Upon further reading, more holes are popping up. The Superintendent saying it was a 'miscommunication' is just a nice way of saying I don't believe you. She's worried about her daughter being bullied so what does she do? Oh yeah, go to the local news and plaster her face (complete with kissy face pics) AND even expose her young son to further scrutiny. Sensationalism 101..

29again
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Quoting Thomigirl:

Upon further reading, more holes are popping up. The Superintendent saying it was a 'miscommunication' is just a nice way of saying I don't believe you. She's worried about her daughter being bullied so what does she do? Oh yeah, go to the local news and plaster her face (complete with kissy face pics) AND even expose her young son to further scrutiny. Sensationalism 101..

So how long would you let your daughter be bullied and harassed before you went to the local news?   And what happened to our national policy of zero tolerance for bullying in schools?  Are you suggesting that St Louis is not up to speed with the rest of the nation, and that it is OK that this school is ignoring a mothers concern about her children being bullied? 

The only "hole" that I can find is that it was not someone from the admin of the school who made the suggestion.  It was a secretary, or switchboard operator.  And a woman, at that!  I do not believe that the school board, the principal or the superintendant ever suggested this.  But I do think that there is a lot of bullying that is overlooked, mostly due to who is being bullied (or who their parents are), and sometimes due to who is bullying.  Now, if this woman was out there on the news every other week, I would question her and her motives.  So far, I am not.

Thomigirl
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Quoting 29again:

Quoting Thomigirl:

So how long would you let your daughter be bullied and harassed before you went to the local news?   And what happened to our national policy of zero tolerance for bullying in schools?  Are you suggesting that St Louis is not up to speed with the rest of the nation, and that it is OK that this school is ignoring a mothers concern about her children being bullied? 

The only "hole" that I can find is that it was not someone from the admin of the school who made the suggestion.  It was a secretary, or switchboard operator.  And a woman, at that!  I do not believe that the school board, the principal or the superintendant ever suggested this.  But I do think that there is a lot of bullying that is overlooked, mostly due to who is being bullied (or who their parents are), and sometimes due to who is bullying.  Now, if this woman was out there on the news every other week, I would question her and her motives.  So far, I am not.

If I made the decision to go to the local news, I would not be sharing pictures of my daughter, NOR would I mention a second child and his health issues and display it in a public forum. As a parent it's reckless and smacks of attention seeking. 

29again
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Quoting Thomigirl:

Quoting 29again:

Quoting Thomigirl:

If I made the decision to go to the local news, I would not be sharing pictures of my daughter, NOR would I mention a second child and his health issues and display it in a public forum. As a parent it's reckless and smacks of attention seeking. 

I see what you are saying.  I just don't think that is going on in this case.  What I see is a mother who is fed up with being ignored by the school that her children attend.  (Zero tolerance??  ri-iii-ght.)  Is there any chance that the second child came out from the reporter really talking to the mom, and it was included in the editing?  I don't know, I can't watch the video.  At this point, though, I am willing to give this mom the benefit of ANY doubt.

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is sad that anyone would suggest this to a young girl.  She was just basically told that something is wrong with her and not with the people bullying her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)