Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

5-Year-Old Suspended, Labeled a ‘Terrorist Threat’ for Threatening to Shoot Friend With Toy Bubble Gun

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Eds
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

Education

5-Year-Old Suspended, Labeled a ‘Terrorist Threat’ for Threatening to Shoot Friend With Toy Bubble Gun

A 5-year-old girl from Pennsylvania has been suspended after telling a friend she was going to shoot her with a pink toy gun that spits out bubbles, the Associated Press reports.

The kindergartener was waiting for the bus at the time, and did not have the fake gun with her.

PennLive.com has all the unbelievable details:

Elementary school officials learned of the conversation and questioned the girls the next day, Fickler said. He said the girl did not have a parent present during the 30 minutes of questioning.

The result, he said, was that the student was labeled a “terrorist threat” and suspended for 10 days, Ficker said. The school also required her to be evaluated by a psychologist, [attorney Robin Ficker] said.

This little girl is the least terroristic person in Pennsylvania,” he said.  [Emphasis added]

The family’s attorney helped reduce the punishment from ten days to two, but the school is keeping the incident on the girl’s record.  It has apparently been modified, however, to say she intended to harm another student.

Ficker told The Daily Item that school employees have become “hysterical” since the tragedy at Sandy Hook, and while we need to address genuine issues, there’s certainly a line to be drawn.

“You can’t make light of what happened to this girl either,” Ficker argued. “The incident goes on her permanent school record. She has been branded a troubled person. But she was suspended for her words. She had no gun. She had a bubble-making machine.”

The girl’s mother added: “All I know is what my daughter has told me and she said she was told she could go to jail, which is a very traumatic thing for a 5-year-old to live with.”

School officials said on Friday they weren’t at liberty to discuss disciplinary actions.

But one clever ebay user utilized the story in attempting to sell his son’s bubble gun, which he warned “may lead to the suspension of your kindergarten aged child.”

The question and answer section reads:

Q: Does the winning bidder have to submit to a background check? Does this item come with the standard 10 oz bottle of bubble ammo or am i limited to the New York 7oz bottles?
A: No background check required. This item will include 5 fluid oz of “bubble ammo” to pass any New York State regulations/laws.

WNEP-16 has more:

(H/T: WeaselZippers)

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:33 AM
environmentalandawake

Posted on January 19, 2013 at 6:13pm

For the Love of all that is Good! Are they kidding with this??? Good thing she didn’t kiss a boy on the cheek, she would be registered as a sex offender…..Enough all ready

environmentalandawake  

• Live_Free_orDie
    Posted on January 19, 2013 at 6:21pm

This Country is lost…thank you Libturds.

Live_Free_orDie  
  • braddock66
    Posted on January 19, 2013 at 6:24pm

Home school!

• phillipwgirard
    Posted on January 19, 2013 at 6:24pm

The whole world is laughing at us, my GOD,,,

phillipwgirard  
  • Melvin Spittle
    Posted on January 19, 2013 at 6:44pm

Oh no! Another story of children with access to shootie things! The horror! I DEMAND staplers be banned from schools as well!

Even top ATF and government officials lack basic firearms knowledge and continue to seize toys that they classify as dangerous firearms:

http://pjmedia.com/blog/agents-of-incompetence-atf-dodges-foia-still-has-seized-bb-guns-part-iv/?singlepage=true

Melvin Spittle  
  • barber2
    Posted on January 19, 2013 at 6:48pm

VALERIE: So nice to see our Obama False Ad Trolls are culturally inclusive ! Not just wasp Clair and Mary , but now we get spammed by Valerie Hernandez ! ?

• Melvin Spittle
    Posted on January 19, 2013 at 6:53pm

They are so eager to draft and introduce legislation they know nothing about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rGpykAX1fo

This is further evidence of their complete disregard for our rights as long as it gets them re-elected.

Melvin Spittle  
  • Melvin Spittle
    Posted on January 19, 2013 at 7:00pm

Was a background check done for the Hello Kitty handgun or did she get it through the gun show loophole? Has the bubble gun been checked to determine if it has been stolen or used in a felony? Until these questions are answered I suggest we hold our opinions and stop speculating. I would not want to jump the gun by supporting this 5 year-old suspect until the investigation is complete. I did not see it stated in the article if she is out on bail or still in custody.

Melvin Spittle  
  • The-Monk
    Posted on January 19, 2013 at 7:18pm

The Feds need to burst the bubble on this insidious caper……

The-Monk  
  • Eastinfection
    Posted on January 19, 2013 at 8:53pm

I agree MONK!

Send this little terrorist to Gitmo!

Water-board her in a bubble bath! That’ll learn her!

Eastinfection  
  • Cemetery
    Posted on January 19, 2013 at 9:27pm

It’s time that we had a look at a ban on all military style assault hello kitty bubble guns.

Cemetery  
  • The-Monk
    Posted on January 19, 2013 at 10:44pm

The problem with bubble gum is it’s inherent capacity to blow up…..

The-Monk  
  • DADDYWOREAWHITEHAT
    Posted on January 19, 2013 at 10:45pm

If you live in one of these PC over the top districts you need to go to your school board. If you don’t get the answer you want vote with your feet & move out of that district. Be sure to let them know they have
    caused damage to the school district with their actions. You cannot let these people
    believe that what they have done has no consequences.

DADDYWOREAWHITEHAT  
  • DADDYWOREAWHITEHAT
    Posted on January 19, 2013 at 11:03pm

Bubble gun. Yeah that’s your problem right there.
    Every govt employee that makes their living doing this kind of carnage to a 5 year old needs to be fired and lose all retirement benefits.
    Seriously there needs to be consequences to the adults who thought it was appropriate to do this kind of harm (permanent record) to a 5 year old. Trust me I know how teachers tell each other to punish students in future classes- this child now has a record that teachers will hold against her for her entire academic career. They have that power & they use it unjustly.

DADDYWOREAWHITEHAT  
JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:50 AM
I guess common sense has taken a leave of absence from that school. SMH.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thomigirl
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Yeah, this is making the rounds of Facebook. I love how people immediately start talking about liberals this and liberals that. This is ONE side of the story and we have NO clue what truly went on. I'm willing to bet money that this kid didn't say 'I'm gonna shoot you with my fake pink gun that blows bubbles"

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this
The death of common sense in America.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I've always thought sometimes schools just take this way too far.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Common sense has become an oxymoron. It is so damned uncommon these days!

Quoting Carpy:

The death of common sense in America.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alf2651
by New Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:49 PM

That is just ridiculous.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

imamomzilla
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM

blowing bubbles

Master_Debater
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Wtf?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN