Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Utah Business Owner Fires Two Liberal Employees To Cover Cost Of Obamacare…

Posted by   + Show Post

Sounds fair to me.

Via MSN News:

The head of a Utah forensics company says it’s only fair that two liberal employees were let go because liberal policies are costing his business.

A Utah business owner says he fired two employees in large part because they supported President Barack Obama.

“They were Obama supporters. We just knew they were,” Terry Lee, owner of Terry Lee Forensics, a Cedar City, Utah, digital forensics company, told The Salt Lake Tribune on Thursday.

Lee first mentioned the firings in the comments section of another story in the Tribune about a Vernal, Utah, smoothie shop owner charging “liberals” a higher price than “conservatives” for drinks. That shop owner said “liberal programs” are costing his business more, so it’s only fair that left-leaning customers should pay more.

According to the Tribune, Lee showed his support for the tactic by writing:

“Love it. We had to let two employees go to cover new Obongocare [sic] costs and increased taxes. Found two Obongo supporters and gave them the news yesterday. They wanted the idiot in the Whitehouse [sic], they reap the benefits.”

The comment was later deleted by the author.

Lee did not return a telephone call from MSN News on Friday to expound on the comment.

Contacted by the Tribune Thursday, Lee said he picked the two employees in large part on the basis of their politics, according to the newspaper. But he added that there were other issues as well, which he didn’t detail, and said the two workers “were not top performers.”

He said that he didn’t think the firings were illegal. “Is your political affiliation protected?” he was quoted as saying. “I don’t believe it is, but I don’t know.”

Utah law says private employment in the state is generally “at will.” That means a private employer can fire a worker without cause and without notice.

(WZ)

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Replies (41-50):
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Are you erika?

Quoting broncfan:

No BS, we are at 48 employees, lost 3 in the last 6 months of 2012, they will not be replaced. Everyone else will have to pull up the slack. For every 30K employee we need to increase business by 120K to stay profitable . It would be more if we fell under Ocare.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

BS

Quoting erika9009:

Quoting Mystres:

I have read about a lot of places doing this.

I do have a friend that owns a business that is just keeping his emp under the ObamaCare level.  He does have enough work to hire a few more, but the revenue generated would not out weigh his estimated ObamaCare costs.  So, we have 2-3 more unemployed (or underemployed) people around here.

broncfan
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Are you erika?

Quoting broncfan:

No BS, we are at 48 employees, lost 3 in the last 6 months of 2012, they will not be replaced. Everyone else will have to pull up the slack. For every 30K employee we need to increase business by 120K to stay profitable . It would be more if we fell under Ocare.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

BS

Quoting erika9009:

Quoting Mystres:

I do have a friend that owns a business that is just keeping his emp under the ObamaCare level.  He does have enough work to hire a few more, but the revenue generated would not out weigh his estimated ObamaCare costs.  So, we have 2-3 more unemployed (or underemployed) people around here.

cute.

anyone that owns a small business knows that this is not BS. Only those that think people go into business to give other people jobs would call BS on Erika's story.  Hate to break it to everyone, but a business owner is in business to make money for him/herself, employess are needed to make more money and are paid for it, if people don't like it, go start your own business.

mikiemom
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM

any business that would limit itself in order to avoid doing the right thing by their employees does not deserve to be in business. Our country needs strong ethical businesses.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Are you erika?

Quoting broncfan:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

BS

Quoting erika9009:

Quoting Mystres:

paknari
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:51 PM
So as long as we are discriminating against race it's ok? I don't know how anyone could be ok with this, whether they voted for Obama or not. It's not different than discriminating against race or religion. Not to mention I don't know what state this person owns his Business in but here nothing has changed as of yet. Other than the social security thing that has not fallen at all on the employer. Even living in a right to work state this would clearly be wrong and that person should not be able to run a business. It is one thing to believe something (such as opposing gay marriage) and denying someone services because they dont feel the same way. I didn't see chic fil a denying gay people service. They may feel its wrong and I respect that. It is completely different to claim that you are for freedom and then deny someone the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
broncfan
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mikiemom:

any business that would limit itself in order to avoid doing the right thing by their employees does not deserve to be in business. Our country needs strong ethical businesses.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Are you erika?

Quoting broncfan:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

BS

Quoting erika9009:

Quoting Mystres:

The thing is, what is good for business IS GOOD for the employees.  If something is bad for business, like Ocare it is bad for employees. 

We pay 100% of health coverage for our employees, they pay for their family members.  I do not want the government in my business, I do not want them to tell me what I have to do.  Our employees like working here, we lose very few to other jobs (maybe 1 every 3 years).  This is like everything else, this year we are told that if we have over 50 employees we have to have medical coverage, next year dental? the next year daycare? the next year we have to feed them lunch and breakfast?  Government needs to get out of the business owners way and let them make money, that is what is good for employees. All we ask is that our employees give us an honest day work for an honest day pay, we do not ask them to think about this business when they go home at night, like we do.  We do not ask them to put their house up for a loan, like we do, we do not ask them to work some months for no pay, like we do. 

erika9009
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't name company names for obvious reasons, but how do you know?  Well, unless you are his wife, but she is the accountant there so......

Granted their situation may not likely be typical of small business.

Actually, if you think about it, he really should go over the line.  Then, he could dump his health care all together and just pay the fine.  His cost would be constant (a good thing in business).Then, the emp could then just get insurance from the state excanges.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

BS

Quoting erika9009:

Quoting Mystres:

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

erika9009
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't mean to be a bi...ch, but have you ever been in a small business with overhead?  I'm not talking about the "work at home" type.  The ones that have a commercial location.  You have to cover costs, then you make money.

If you don't cover costs, you go out of business and ALL your employees loose their jobs and insurance at that point.     How is it ethical to do something you know will put you out of business?  (and your employees out of their jobs)

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Are you erika?

Erika..

SweetChild63
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Soon, it won't be his business to worry about. He is going to get so sued!

erika9009
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM

By the way,

I do agree that our country needs more ethics in business.  That balance of ethics and making money is a skill that not many at the top know anymore.

Quoting mikiemom:

Erika..

erika9009
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM

On what grounds would this Utah owner be sued?   It's an "at will" state.

Quoting SweetChild63:

Soon, it won't be his business to worry about. He is going to get so sued!

Erika..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN