Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Why Do Only 6% of Scientists Identify Themselves as Republicans? (Video)

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:33 AM
  • 46 Replies

A new study published by Pew Research reveals that 55% of scientists identify themselves as Democrats, 6% as Republicans and the rest as independents, non-political or something else.

Here’s a video from The David Packman Show that asks the question, “Why are only 6% of scientist Republicans?”   Packman concludes that since “life is not black and white” and Democrats generally support the conclusions science provides, more scientists are naturally drawn to the liberal side.  That’s much nicer than the way we’d have put it which goes something like, “Scientists don’t identify themselves as Republicans because they aren’t climate change-denying, rape-categorizing idiots that are impervious to facts and logic.”

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Citygirlk
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I wonder why?

ms-superwoman
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:14 AM
5 moms liked this

Maybe because scientists use facts and logic, while many republicans don't? shrugging

rccmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM
4 moms liked this

I do not think it is fair to categorize all Republicans as ignorant, or not believing in science. However, there seems to be a culture of disdain for education and science in some parts of the Republican party that is scary.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM

It's not some parts, it's their official platform have you read that?

You can read the entire platform here

link

Quoting rccmom:

I do not think it is fair to categorize all Republicans as ignorant, or not believing in science. However, there seems to be a culture of disdain for education and science in some parts of the Republican party that is scary.

rccmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I read it, but my eyes started glazing over. I did not see anything directly anti science. Jon Huntsman is a good example of a Repub that is not anti science. I do believe that the majority of the Repub party do not have a firm grasp on science, or scientific principles, but not all of them.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

It's not some parts, it's their official platform have you read that?

You can read the entire platform here

link

Quoting rccmom:

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

It is blatantly obvious.

erika9009
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Can't we just let scientists be scientists and not "pigeon hole" them?

To me, a scientist's political affiliation should be irrelevant.   You want him/her proving/disproving things based on facts and evidence, and NOT tweaking things to swing one way or the other politically.

I know, I live in a fantasy world.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this
LMAO. that's all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blues_pagan
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:19 PM
3 moms liked this

The Raven...you're trying to hard hun.  Take a step back and breathe...it will all be ok.

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Not concerned just smh at how hard you are trying.  None of what you posted is what the OP is talking about.  But please keep beating that straw man!

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting blues_pagan:

The Raven...you're trying to hard hun.  Take a step back and breathe...it will all be ok.

You've be amazed how easy, and how hilarious this is...not too hard at all.

But thanks for your concern. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)