Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Hmmm. this is the same thing I say.

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:22 AM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

It's also what I am telling customers who are in a frenzy to load up on ammo.

Senator John Barrasso (R-WY) told Candy Crowley Sunday that he doesn’t expect Congress to pass bills on universal background checks for gun owners or limits on the size of gun magazines. Barrasso said he believed Americans were more focused on “jobs and the economy and the debt and spending” than guns.

“That’s the big anxiety in this country,” he added.

He said he believed President Obama was “failing to try to find a solution to the problem of the tragedy of Newtown” because he has “essentially ignored the issues of mental health and violence in society, in the media and video games.” According to Barrasso, Obama has focused too much on “what may be happening at gun shows or gun shelves and gun stores.”

Barrasso also indicated he doesn’t expect Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) to bring the gun control bills to a vote.

“He has six Democrats up for election in two years in states where the president received fewer than 42 percent of the votes. And he doesn’t want his Democrats to have to choose between their own constituents and the president’s positions,” Barrasso said.

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:51 AM
4 moms liked this

Yes, Carpy, because stocking up on ammo is the rational response.

Oh, wait, you're directly benefitting from it, aren't you?

That Newtown shooting sure was good for business, wasn't it? That's a rhetorical question. Please don't bother to answer it.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this

No, the threat to ban has been good for business.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

That Newtown shooting sure was good for business, wasn't it? That's a rhetorical question. Please don't bother to answer it.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:56 AM

And I guess, the point I made about telling customers, that they are not going to do anything went over your head?

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

jessilin0113
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:00 AM
4 moms liked this
They don't know how to deal with jobs and spending and the economy. They'll spend a lot of time shouting about guns and pass some watered down useless legislation.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I agree with the article.  However, I will say that I am 100% for background checks for gun purchases in stores and gun shows. 

Friday
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM

What is Obama, or govt in general, supposed to do about violent media? Careful because most of the people going on about violent media sound just like Tipper Gore and the PMRC nuts. We already have labels & warnings so I don't see what else could be done w/o infringing on rights.

Also, what should they do about mental health issues? I agree it's a real concern, the primary one in this issue IMO, but how do we work on that w/o more spending AND keeping everyones rights intact?

I keep asking questions of gun advocates, trying to figure out how to address these concerns and all I've gotten is arm everyone and hope it doesn't ever affect us personally.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM
I don't know anyone who isn't.

Quoting 4kidz916:

I agree with the article.  However, I will say that I am 100% for background checks for gun purchases in stores and gun shows. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM
3 moms liked this
You don't get answers because there really isn't any. You can't force parents to be responsible enough to not buy crap video games and crap rap for their kids. You can't identify and force treatment on every nutzo out there. You won't stop people from doing this crazy shit now and then no matter how many gun laws get passed. It just isn't possible.

Quoting Friday:

What is Obama, or govt in general, supposed to do about violent media? Careful because most of the people going on about violent media sound just like Tipper Gore and the PMRC nuts. We already have labels & warnings so I don't see what else could be done w/o infringing on rights.

Also, what should they do about mental health issues? I agree it's a real concern, the primary one in this issue IMO, but how do we work on that w/o more spending AND keeping everyones rights intact?

I keep asking questions of gun advocates, trying to figure out how to address these concerns and all I've gotten is arm everyone and hope it doesn't ever affect us personally.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Friday
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Carpy:

You don't get answers because there really isn't any. You can't force parents to be responsible enough to not buy crap video games and crap rap for their kids. You can't identify and force treatment on every nutzo out there. You won't stop people from doing this crazy shit now and then no matter how many gun laws get passed. It just isn't possible.

Quoting Friday:

Thank you for acknowledging that.

I don't buy that media is the problem. Dh plays violent games to help get out his aggressions on a game instead of real people. My oldest plays all kinds of violent games and loves horror movies and is just like me in that he's mostly pacifist.

The problem is the people with mental health issues or a disconnect from reality who are triggered by such media, not the media itself.

Do you remember when those parents sued Judas Priest for their kids suicide? It was BS then and blaming media is BS now. I always swore I would be blasting Barry Manilow if I commit suicide, just to mess with people.

The entire PMRC deal was stupid but I do love the image of Dee Snider, John Denver and Frank Zappa working together.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Then why is there a gun show loophole? This is an honest question. The background check debate happened before I was interested in politics.

Quoting Carpy:

I don't know anyone who isn't.

Quoting 4kidz916:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN