Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The AR-15, you don't need one and they are too dangerous to own.

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:06 AM
  • 94 Replies
5 moms liked this

By Jorge Amselle

Sadly, so called “assault rifles” are getting a lot of negative press lately and are being subjected to a great deal of misinformation. This is not just coming from the usual anti-gun crowd, whom one would expect to lack knowledge about firearms and how they function, but also from supposedly knowledgeable gun owners and hunters, some of whom favor “reasonable” controls on firearms freedoms. Here are a few of the fallacies.

Why do you need that?

I need an AR primarily for self defense. Could I use another gun for self defense? Of course I could and the AR may not be the best firearm to use in all defensive situations. I could use a shotgun or a pistol, I could use a baseball bat or a knife, I could use a tennis racket, a golf club, my bare hands, or I could just try playing possum.

It is not a question of what I use to defend myself but my right and desire to have the best possible tool for the job at my disposal. I want a semi-automatic rifle with an adequate capacity magazine for the same reason the police want them; to be able to quickly and accurately engage multiple assailants should the need arise.

The caliber is too weak to use for hunting. 

The AR is traditionally chambered in the 5.56x45mm NATO (interchangeable with the .223 Remington caliber) cartridge. The U.S. Military has been using this round as their primary rifle caliber for 50 years, through many wars and other interventions. If it was not effective we would not still have it. As with any firearm, the weight and type of bullet can be easily changed to deliver better performance and while not all loadings may be ideal for hunting, many are used on deer, feral hogs, coyote, and other game animals.

That does not even include the fact that the AR is the single most versatile rifle available. It can be converted to a muzzle loader for black powder, a crossbow for archery hunting, an air rifle, and can be adapted to fire over a dozen different rifle and pistol calibers. The design makes it easy to install optics and scopes, the collapsible stock allows the length to be adjusted so different statured shooters can comfortably use the same rifle. All of these features are why it is so popular.

It is not suitable for home defense. 

Some have argued that a 5.56mm AR is bad for home defense because the round will over penetrate and pass through walls, endangering other occupants or neighbors. Tell that to police SWAT team that are increasingly switching from 9mm (pistol caliber) sub-machineguns to 5.56mm ARs exactly because they over penetrate less than the 9mm especially with proper ammunition selection. If over penetration is a serious concern then use a shotgun with bird shot. At close ranges this can be extremely effective. Others argue that a long gun is too unwieldy for home defense and going around corners. Ironically a shotgun has long been considered an ideal home defense firearm, not to mention that “hunting down” home intruders is not really advisable anyways. Better to barricade yourself and call the police.

These guns are too dangerous for people to own. 

Ignoring the fact that semi-automatic rifles are used to commit only a tiny fraction of all gun crimes and that gun crimes overall have been declining for the past 20 years, the AR and other similar rifles are no more dangerous than any other firearm. The AR is semi-automatic and fires once each time the trigger is depressed, like a double-action revolver, or any pistol, or many other rifles and shotguns.

If you believe that the AR is too dangerous to own then there is no rational limit to what firearms you will find too dangerous next. Politicians have attacked firearms as too dangerous because they are too small and easy to conceal, too cheap and easy for poor people to buy, too accurate and usable and sniper weapons, too powerful and usable against vehicles. The list of “too dangerous” can easily be expanded to cover most any firearm and making every firearm “too dangerous” is exactly the real agenda.

—————————————————-

Jorge Amselle is a certified firearms instructor and writer covering all aspects of the industry from military and law enforcement firearms and training to the shooting sports. His youtube

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Quote:

Sadly, so called “assault rifles” are getting a lot of negative press lately and are being subjected to a great deal of misinformation.

Yea. it's so sad what is happening to assault rifles

Noah Pozner’s Mom Describes Newtown Victim’s Body, And Why We Should All Listen

Posted: January 5, 2013
eulogy for 6-year-old noah ponzer

Noah Pozner, the youngest victim of the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, was just six years old when he was killed last month in a hail of bullets at Sandy Hook Elementary School — an occurrence so incomprehensible that even the passage of the better part of a month makes it difficult to type those words.

Few details about the mechanics of the horror have been disclosed for obvious reasons, but the mother of Noah Pozner has commented on the singularly nightmarish experience of viewing and identifying her little boy’s body — and while it is likely one of the more difficult things you will read for some time, it also feels like Americans owe it to Veronique Pozner to listen and bear witness to her account of Noah’s death and the wounds he sustained in the course of the attack.

In the wake of the Newtown school shooting, Americans have been locked in a fierce debate about the ethics and constitutionality of guns in the US, and many have been accused of “politicizing” the tragedy in order to further their own agendas.

But when the dust settles and the controversy merchants move on, we are left with the utterly senseless deaths of 20 six and seven-year-old children, first graders, and six of their teachers. And there’s something to be said about viewing the incident without the veneer of teddy bear memorials and celebrity-studded versions of “Hallelujah,” seeing it for what it is — a violent act that was both brutal and preventible, a violent act that the parents of Noah Pozner as well as the 19 other children murdered must face every day until the day they themselves die.

When the shock of the Newtown shooting was still fresh, CNN commentator Roland Martin suggested that a parent of one of the children gunned down perhaps mirror the actions of Mamie Till, mother of slain black teenager Emmett Till.

Sandy Hook: Photo Shows Moment President Obama Learned About School Shooting

Emmett’s mother changed history when she released a photo of her son’s body, shocking America and galvanizing the civil rights movement, despite an outcry from those who insisted no more middle ground could be had. She later explained:

“There was just no way I could describe what was in that box … No way. And I just wanted the world to see.”

Martin admits the idea is shocking to the point of being nearly unspeakable, but he counters that the alternative — pretending the worst parts of the trauma did not occur — is perhaps more obscene, more morally lax and more inexcusable:

“Our senses have been dulled to the real world carnage. We demand that news organizations not show American troops, or even the enemy, lying dead in war zones. Even when our troops returned home in flag-draped coffins, the Bush administration forbade it from being covered by the media. The Los Angeles Times was ripped by readers for showing the bloody, lifeless body of Ambassador Christopher Stevens being dragged out of a building in Benghazi, Libya.”

Jewish Daily Forward posted a column by journalist Naomi Zeveloff, who spoke with Veronique Pozner about Noah’s death and the days that followed. Zeveloff details her struggle with publishing the information she was given by Mrs. Pozner — but ultimately concludes the grieving parent hoped to illustrate in facts and difficult truths what the “angels in heaven” narrative so thoroughly conceals.

At the start of the piece, Zeveloff quotes Pozner as she describes asking Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy to view Noah’s open casket — Veronique Pozner explains, heartbreakingly, how she hoped that if the time ever came to pass legislation on the factors that led to her son’s death, Gov. Malloy would be able to place a face and a person with the decision:

“I needed it to have a face for him … If there is ever a piece of legislation that comes across his desk, I needed it to be real for him.”

Later in the discussion, Zeveloff explains that Noah’s mom described, without prompting, the state of his remains when she viewed them, saying:

“We all saw how beautiful he was. He had thick, shiny hair, beautiful long eyelashes that rested on his cheeks. He looked like he was sleeping. But the reality of it was under the cloth he had covering his mouth there was no mouth left. His jaw was blown away. I just want people to know the ugliness of it so we don’t talk about it abstractly, like these little angels just went to heaven. No. They were butchered. They were brutalized. And that is what haunts me at night.”

Zeveloff asks Pozner how she came to make the decision to view Noah’s body, and what tears at your soul about it is the essence of her statement — because who among us would not feel the exact same way?

Veronique Pozner replied:

“I owed it to him as his mother, the good, the bad, the ugly … It is not up to me to say I am only going to look at you and deal with you when you are alive, that I am going to block out the reality of what you look like when you are dead. And as a little boy, you have to go in the ground. If I am going to shut my eyes to that I am not his mother. I had to bear it. I had to do it.”

Indeed, in those two exchanges, it seems the crux of the issue is clear — Veronique Pozner made the difficult choice to view Noah’s body after he had been shot 11 times at close range because she owed it to him, as his mother, to know.

Noah Pozner's body

And it seems that regardless of where you stand on any of the issues stirred up by the tragic violence in Newtown, we all owe it to the surviving families to hear not just the uplifting stories of togetherness and bravery after the Sandy Hook shootings, but the unvarnished facts of the situation as well. The six-year-old boy who was shot not only in the face in his first-grade classroom, but an additional ten times as well.

It seems a small thing for the parents who lost a child in Newtown to have our attention so we can hear what it is that they want to say, and we should all at the very least give them that, regardless of how incredibly difficult it may be to hear, read or see. Perhaps Roland Martin was half right — because after reading Veronique Pozner’s statements, maybe we don’t need to see a picture. Perhaps if all Americans read those words and listened, imagery would be unnecessary.

But we the adults that failed in protecting those children at Sandy Hook should not be spared from knowing what happened, and making an informed decision as to how to prevent it the best we can from ever happening again

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:33 AM
1 mom liked this

More fear mongering and comparing oneself to teh police who go into scary situations every day....now, maybe we can talk...when people go through the same TRAINING and SCREENING the POLICE so....maybe this will be acceptable

Quote:

I need an AR primarily for self defense. Could I use another gun for self defense? Of course I could and the AR may not be the best firearm to use in all defensive situations. I could use a shotgun or a pistol, I could use a baseball bat or a knife, I could use a tennis racket, a golf club, my bare hands, or I could just try playing possum.

It is not a question of what I use to defend myself but my right and desire to have the best possible tool for the job at my disposal. I want a semi-automatic rifle with an adequate capacity magazine for the same reason the police want them; to be able to quickly and accurately engage multiple assailants should the need arise

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:56 AM
8 moms liked this

Sweet, you can do more damage with a 12 gage, using a tube extender, shooting 00buck.

sarebear31976
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Politics aside, and I come from a family of gun owners, but no one outside of law enforcement NEEDS an assault rifle.  We have guns in our house, and my husband absolutely drools over the assault rifles in the store, but we will never own one. Just because you are legally allowed to have something doesn't mean its a good idea. 

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:57 AM
2 moms liked this

And if these idiots who do these shootings had any brains, that is what they would do.  Are you for banning shotguns as well?

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that anyone who wants to purchase or sell AR-15's should see the crime scene photos of Newtown and Aurora. My daughter has had to see the consequences of drunk driving in her driver's ed course. It's mandated by the state. You want to bear the onus of responsibility for one of these guns, at least SEE what they are capable of and what happens when they fall into the wrong hands.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:12 AM

The round they shoot isn't much bigger than a 22.  If you want to see what a SHOTGUN can do, you should have been me about 25 years ago when I was the first on the scene when my 10 yr old neighbor boy tried to take a shotgun away from his seven yr old cousin.  His entire chest was splattered all over the house.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I think that anyone who wants to purchase or sell AR-15's should see the crime scene photos of Newtown and Aurora. My daughter has had to see the consequences of drunk driving in her driver's ed course. It's mandated by the state. You want to bear the onus of responsibility for one of these guns, at least SEE what they are capable of and what happens when they fall into the wrong hands.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:14 AM
4 moms liked this

Ask any cop which he would rather be shot with.  An AR15 or a shotgun.  They will tell you the AR15.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:32 AM
2 moms liked this
Most of the idiots got them legally or took them from their homes

Did Adam Lanza's mom need an assault rifle?

No, but Adam was happy she had it

Quoting Carpy:

And if these idiots who do these shootings had any brains, that is what they would do.  Are you for banning shotguns as well?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:33 AM
All that responsible gun ownership

Quoting Carpy:

The round they shoot isn't much bigger than a 22.  If you want to see what a SHOTGUN can do, you should have been me about 25 years ago when I was the first on the scene when my 10 yr old neighbor boy tried to take a shotgun away from his seven yr old cousin.  His entire chest was splattered all over the house.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)