Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

What would you do if your town passed a measure to allow "drunk driving" permits?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:47 PM
  • 10 Replies

'Drunk Driving' Permits Approved: What Could Go Wrong?

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on January 22, 2013 

guinnessAs someone whose family tree is firmly planted in Irish soil, I would no sooner speak dishonorably of Ireland than I would ... I don't know, throw perfectly good potatoes in the trash. But even I have to admit that perhaps Councillor (and pub owner) Danny Healy-Rae of County Kerry was taking the whole Irish stereotype thing a bit too far when he proposed "drunk driving" permits for rural drivers.

Aye, 'tis true! You see, in Ireland, "drivers are now allowed only 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood, 'equivalent to drinking less than one pint of beer.'" (Less than a pint?! Ha!). But the permits proposed by Kerry would "allow rural residents to consume 'two or three drinks'" and get behind the wheel. A fine idea, indeed! I'll drink to that!

I'M KIDDING. I'm kidding! Although Healy Rae's argument for the permits is ... compelling. (If a wee bit daft.)

Healy-Rae explains it like this: "A lot of these people [who would benefit from the permits] are living in isolated rural areas where there’s no public transport of any kind, and they end up at home looking at the four walls, night in and night out, because they don’t want to take the risk of losing their licence." Drunk driving permits, he says, would keep "a lot of them falling into depression."

Well, that is a cryin' shame. After all, how is an aged Irishman supposed to raise his spirits if he can't ... raise some spirits? (In a toast, that is.) And then go for a nice drive through the countryside? After all, as Healy-Rae says, these people "never killed anyone." (Save some sheep, most likely.)

Not yet, anyway! Since the "drunk driving permit' measure was passed, there's still time! While 3 council members did oppose the idea, 5 voted in favor.

Um, now let's all go sing "Whisky in the Jar" and eat corned beef and cabbage and complete the cliche!

What would you do if your town passed a measure to allow "drunk driving" permits?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I would be horrified...growing up in a rural area I have seen MORE accidents of the worst kind. Some people "think" that because it's a rural area that there is not much traffic so they drive faster..with no thought to cars/tractors coming out of side roads and/or animals along the road hidden behind bushes..etc..etc.  During the school year one year..a guy was too fast driving  with his girlfriend..sheep (f I recall)  appeared out of nowhere..and she was decapitated on a barbed wire fence.. Rural areas should to be "respected"..not treated like a bumper car arena.  Who wants to have their kids and/or family or self come home from a movie and/or whatever with a drunk on the road with a "permission" slip to be drunk.

Citygirlk
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM
It would depend. Like if im above the legal limit theres no way in hell I can drive, but if dh is above the limit he can drive just fine (he has a very high tolerance for alchol). And there are many people like him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PamR
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Um, no.

This is not difficult.  If you have to drive, don't drink. 

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have to move.A drunk not only takes his/her life in their  own hands but also everyone in their way.

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I giggled at less than a pint. The beer has a higher alcohol percentage than American beer. So how much can they consume with the liscense?

smalltownmom03
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:14 AM
I agree. We have dark colored cows get out all of the time here. And country roads are much narrower than roads in town. Putting drunk drivers on narrow roads in trucks (many are dually) is a recipie for disaster. Then if you add in the animals that could be in the road, it would be scary.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

I would be horrified...growing up in a rural area I have seen MORE
accidents of the worst kind. Some people "think" that because it's a
rural area that there is not much traffic so they drive faster..with no
thought to cars/tractors coming out of side roads and/or animals along
the road hidden behind bushes..etc..etc.  During the school year one
year..a guy was too fast driving  with his girlfriend..sheep (f I
recall)  appeared out of nowhere..and she was decapitated on a barbed
wire fence.. Rural areas should to be "respected"..not treated like a
bumper car arena.  Who wants to have their kids and/or family or self come home from a movie
and/or whatever with a drunk on the road with a "permission" slip to be
drunk.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:35 AM

This exactly.

Quoting PamR:

Um, no.

This is not difficult.  If you have to drive, don't drink. 

Jalestra
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Bah, if they test them for DD permits like they do licenses I don't care. I've met a person or two that actually drive better after a couple. But the majority? Nah.

Of course, it's Ireland and what works there doens't necessarily translate here. 

ms-superwoman
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I would move. Seriously? How is this considered OK? Two of my aunts were killed by a drunk driver that thought he was "OK" to drive after drinking.

It is quite simple. If you drink, don't drive.

Simmeringhearts
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM

There is no way anyone that is drinking should be allowed to drive! I don't care how much they had! I can't believe the stupidity of some people thinking this is ok! Put your own damn family at risk! Not mine! POS!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN