Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Far Right Poses As Much Danger To The US As Radical Islam...

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM
  • 56 Replies

Far Right Poses As Much Danger To The U.S. As Radical Islam

2013/01/20
By
Timothy McVeigh; most notorious of far right terrorists @  CNN.com

Timothy McVeigh; most notorious of far right terrorists @ CNN.com

The West Point think tank known as the Combating Terrorism Center has issued a paper on the dangers posed by the far right in this country, specifically people who espouse “civil activism, individual freedoms and self-government,” and says that these people tend to be anti-federalist, white supremacist, and fundamentalist in their views.

According to the paper, liberalism, including that which is seen in other developed nations, looks forward to the future, while conservative movements, especially those here, look backward and cling to an idealized version of history. They also hold a belief that the government is inherently tyrannical and given to intruding on civil and constitutional rights as much as they can. According to the paper, these people initiated 350 attacks in 2011.

One of the core issues with the extreme right is that while they espouse individual freedom and like to try and spread fear regarding the government’s activities, they also seem to believe in a type of authoritarianism—one of the very things they profess to loathe in government—that includes a strong resistance to authority from what they view as “outgroups,” namely blacks and women, unions, and more.

They also seem to view the Constitution as a static document, unchanging despite the way society has changed over the last 230 years, and want laws made and judges to rule based on the original intent of the document. Here’s the issue with that: When it comes to the 2nd Amendment (for example), the original intent of the amendment was to preserve slavery. The words, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State…” refer to the freedom of white men in the southern states to own slaves, and to police those slaves with their militias as they saw fit. The original intent was not to ensure the people’s freedom from a tyrannical government, which is what every gun-rights activist espouses today.

Given that slavery hasn’t existed here for more than 150 years, the original intent of the 2nd Amendment is not applicable to today’s society. The extreme right, however, would argue that we are becoming slaves of the government, if we aren’t already, with anecdotes and paranoia fueling their claims.

According to an article published on CNN in August 2012, eight attacks perpetrated by extreme right-wingers have been carried out in the U.S. since 9/11 (though the study by the West Point think tank does say 350 just in 2011), compared with four carried out by Islamic jihadists. It makes mention, however, of more than 50 attacks by white supremacists that resulted in 7 deaths, though it was concluded that these were racially motivated and not political acts.

A staff member for an unnamed Republican congressman discounted the Combating Terrorism Center’s paper, saying that if the government is looking to cut spending, the think tank should be among the first to go, since they’re wasting time and money with this nonsense and not working on radical Islamist threats or threats from the far left, naming the Weather Underground, the Animal Liberation Front, and the Earth Liberation Front, as left-wing terrorist groups.

The issue with that, however, is that extreme left-wing groups tend not to try and kill, and/or only target individuals and not entire groups of people, according to a CNN article from Sept. 2012. This article says that the biggest threats for large-scale attacks not only come from radical Islam groups, but also come from radical American right-wing groups. It cites a report by the director of National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START) that says while homegrown terrorist groups from the left, such as the animal and environmental groups, only tend to target individuals and don’t generally intend to kill, whereas right-wing extremists do.

Rika Christensen is an experienced writer and loves debating politics. Engage with her and see more of her work by following her on Facebook and Twitter.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Imacakebaker
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:27 PM
8 moms liked this

Uh.. yeah.

Just like Christianity is what is wrong with our schools.  What a warped world you live in.

LucyMom08
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM
3 moms liked this

I have never said Christianity is what is wrong with our schools...I have stated that religion has no place in a science classroom, and that taking time away from educating our children to teach mythology is not necessary, however...interpret that how you may, as I'm sure you will...

And how is my world view warped? Because I think radical extremists (of ANY flavor) are a danger?

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Uh.. yeah.

Just like Christianity is what is wrong with our schools.  What a warped world you live in.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Interesting.

Imacakebaker
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Its like saying the far left is a much of a danger to the US because of Jared Laughner.

Quoting LucyMom08:

I have never said Christianity is what is wrong with our schools...I have stated that religion has no place in a science classroom, and that taking time away from educating our children to teach mythology is not necessary, however...interpret that how you may, as I'm sure you will...

And how is my world view warped? Because I think radical extremists (of ANY flavor) are a danger?

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Uh.. yeah.

LucyMom08
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Did you read my comment at all?

By the way, wasn't he a registered Independent?

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Its like saying the far left is a much of a danger to the US because of Jared Laughner.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Uh.. yeah.

Imacakebaker
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Yeah I read your comment.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Uh.. yeah.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM
5 moms liked this

This reminds me when it was inferred that anyone with a Ron Paul bumper sticker was a domestic terrorist.. 

"You thought you weren’t doing anything wrong, so why should you care about who they call a terrorist?
Well, you may not believe it, but you’re likely a terror suspect in America’s new paradigm of the Land of the Fear.
The government is casting a wide net over its citizens in its search for potential threats.

Now, you don’t need to actually commit a crime to be hauled away to a detention center and held without charges while you are tortured; you just need to appear suspicious by sympathizing with anti-government views to be labeled a domestic terrorist.

First, it’s important to understand the official definition of domestic terrorism in the United States.
The ACLU reports that a person is a domestic terrorist if they engage in any “act dangerous to human life” that “appears to be intended to (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination or kidnapping.”

Although recent White House action plans claim to be targeting “violent extremism in all its forms,” the government itself is clearly guilty of countless “acts dangerous to human life intended to coerce the civilian population, to influence the policy, and to affect the conduct of a government.” But that’s for another article.

What’s more disturbing, is the government’s expansion of guilty parties to “terrorist sympathizers.” This is where the net gets really large. What exactly constitutes sympathizing with a terrorist? Is questioning the imperial foreign policy and the destruction of civil liberties, sympathizing with the enemy?

In the U.S., it seems that if you don’t agree with the violence and coercion America commits, then you’re an anti-American terrorist sympathizer, as evidenced by peace organizations being added to terror watch lists.

So, what makes you a terror suspect in America? Here are 10 ridiculous things that make you a terrorist according to “officials” running the U.S. government:

Tea Party Activists: The political Left demonized peaceful Tea Party activists as right-wing extremists, leading to the second most powerful official in the U.S. government, VP Joe Biden, to liken them to terrorists. Do you sympathize with those who are angry about bank bailouts on the backs of taxpayers? Well, you’re likely a terrorist in the eyes of the State.

Occupy Activists: Now, the “Occupy” movement, said to be made up of left-wing extremists, is enjoying the same treatment as the Tea Party’s right-wing extremists.

The United Kingdom has officially labeled “Occupy” demonstrators as domestic terrorists. The U.S. hasn’t gone quite that far, but the violent Police State did spy on them in search of “domestic terrorists.” Watch out, you may be a terror suspect if you sympathize with the 99%.

7 Days of Food: The Department of Justice and FBI considers you a terrorist threat if you have more than 7 days of food stored, as explained by Rand Paul on the Senate floor:

Paul was referring to an official FBI/DOJ flyer given out to business owners to help them identify potential threats. And recently, Federal agents went to food storage facilities demanding customers lists, while citizens were harassed by the government with door-to-door “assessments” of their preparedness.

Missing Fingers: The document referred to by Rand Paul above, also claims that if someone is missing a finger or has burn marks, they’re more likely to be a terror suspect.

Buying Flashlights: Also from the same official source, if you’re buying night-vision devices including flashlights, you should be considered a terror suspect.

Paying Cash at Hotels: Watch out if you want to pay with cash for hotel rooms. This DHS commercial indicates that you’re a terror suspect if you do:

The DHS has also launched their citizen spy program for hotels and has sent them hotel protection guidelines which lists suspicious activities like persons carrying observation equipment or standing around in the same area.

Texting Privately in a Public Place: According to this DHS commercial for their citizen spy program, if you’re texting while sitting in a public park, but trying to keep it concealed from people who pass by, you should be reported for suspicious terrorist activity:

Ron Paul Stickers: A 2009 law enforcement report from the Missouri Information Analysis Center (MIAC) labeled Ron Paul supporters, Libertarians, and people sharing movies about the Federal Reserve as “domestic terrorists.” When supporters of a political candidate who stands for peace and freedom become terror suspects, America is in big trouble.

Belief in Conspiracies — Obama’s Information Czar, Cass Sunstein, has identified those who hold conspiracy theories as targets for online “cognitive infiltration.”

Do you question the motives for war? Question the motives of the private Federal Reserve bank? Question any government policies? Chances are you already have been marked as a suspect.

Own Precious Metals – Despite the fact that the Federal Reserve paper note (a.k.a. the dollar) is only sustained by faith, you could now be a suspected terrorist if you would like to preserve your wealth with something that holds real value like precious metals. And forget about establishing an alternative currency made from silver or gold like Bernard von NotHaus as you may be lumped into a “unique form of terrorism.”

And now the bonus round for being registered as a potential terrorist — #11– Owning guns and ammo. Let’s face it: you disagree with the American government colluding with international banks to rob you blind AND you’ve armed yourself?

This also why returning veterans have also been labeled potential terrorists — they have guns, know how to use them, and may be angry about the lies that sent them to war.

As the Fast and Furious scandal has now revealed, it was done with a premeditated strategy to vilify the Second Amendment to the nation’s Constitution.

Wait — actively planning to undermine the founding document of the country and plot criminal activity against citizens to spread fear and increase political power? Should that be considered under the definition of terrorism. . . .?"

Here is the source
http://theintelhub.com/2011/12/14/10...error-suspect/
Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I never saw if he was registered with any political party, but from what I understand, he followed both the radical right and the radical left. He hated authority and government of any kind, and I don't think it mattered which party they belonged to. Just goes to show that extremism in either direction leads to trouble, so I definitely agree with you.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

Uh.. yeah.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
imamomzilla
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:15 PM
2 moms liked this

eye rolling

LucyMom08
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't read the link because of the huge pop up about a "47 year old patriot who discovered a 'weird' trick to end slavery imposed by Obama's electricity monopoly"

Seems legit... :/

Quoting Ednarooni160:

This reminds me when it was inferred that anyone with a Ron Paul bumper sticker was a domestic terrorist.. 

"You thought you weren’t doing anything wrong, so why should you care about who they call a terrorist?

Well, you may not believe it, but you’re likely a terror suspect in America’s new paradigm of the Land of the Fear.

The government is casting a wide net over its citizens in its search for potential threats.

Now, you don’t need to actually commit a crime to be hauled away to a
detention center and held without charges while you are tortured; you
just need to appear suspicious by sympathizing with anti-government
views to be labeled a domestic terrorist.

First, it’s important to understand the official definition of domestic terrorism in the United States.

The ACLU reports that a person is a domestic terrorist if they engage in
any “act dangerous to human life” that “appears to be intended to (i)
to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the
policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect
the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination or
kidnapping.”

Although recent White House action plans claim to be targeting “violent
extremism in all its forms,” the government itself is clearly guilty of
countless “acts dangerous to human life intended to coerce the civilian
population, to influence the policy, and to affect the conduct of a
government.” But that’s for another article.

What’s more disturbing, is the government’s expansion of guilty parties
to “terrorist sympathizers.” This is where the net gets really large.
What exactly constitutes sympathizing with a terrorist? Is questioning
the imperial foreign policy and the destruction of civil liberties,
sympathizing with the enemy?

In the U.S., it seems that if you don’t agree with the violence and
coercion America commits, then you’re an anti-American terrorist
sympathizer, as evidenced by peace organizations being added to terror
watch lists.

So, what makes you a terror suspect in America? Here are 10 ridiculous
things that make you a terrorist according to “officials” running the
U.S. government:

Tea Party Activists: The political Left demonized peaceful Tea
Party activists as right-wing extremists, leading to the second most
powerful official in the U.S. government, VP Joe Biden, to liken them to
terrorists. Do you sympathize with those who are angry about bank
bailouts on the backs of taxpayers? Well, you’re likely a terrorist in
the eyes of the State.

Occupy Activists: Now, the “Occupy” movement, said to be made up
of left-wing extremists, is enjoying the same treatment as the Tea
Party’s right-wing extremists.

The United Kingdom has officially labeled “Occupy” demonstrators as
domestic terrorists. The U.S. hasn’t gone quite that far, but the
violent Police State did spy on them in search of “domestic terrorists.”
Watch out, you may be a terror suspect if you sympathize with the 99%.

7 Days of Food: The Department of Justice and FBI considers you a
terrorist threat if you have more than 7 days of food stored, as
explained by Rand Paul on the Senate floor:

Paul was referring to an official FBI/DOJ flyer given out to business
owners to help them identify potential threats. And recently, Federal
agents went to food storage facilities demanding customers lists, while
citizens were harassed by the government with door-to-door “assessments”
of their preparedness.

Missing Fingers: The document
referred to by Rand Paul above, also claims that if someone is missing a
finger or has burn marks, they’re more likely to be a terror suspect.

Buying Flashlights: Also from the same official source, if
you’re buying night-vision devices including flashlights, you should be
considered a terror suspect.

Paying Cash at Hotels: Watch out if you want to pay with cash for hotel rooms. This DHS commercial indicates that you’re a terror suspect if you do:

The DHS has also launched their citizen spy program for hotels
and has sent them hotel protection guidelines which lists suspicious
activities like persons carrying observation equipment or standing
around in the same area.

Texting Privately in a Public Place: According to this DHS
commercial for their citizen spy program, if you’re texting while
sitting in a public park, but trying to keep it concealed from people
who pass by, you should be reported for suspicious terrorist activity:

Ron Paul Stickers: A 2009 law enforcement report from the
Missouri Information Analysis Center (MIAC) labeled Ron Paul supporters,
Libertarians, and people sharing movies about the Federal Reserve as
“domestic terrorists.” When supporters of a political candidate who
stands for peace and freedom become terror suspects, America is in big
trouble.

Belief in Conspiracies — Obama’s Information Czar, Cass Sunstein,
has identified those who hold conspiracy theories as targets for online
“cognitive infiltration.”

Do you question the motives for war? Question the motives of the
private Federal Reserve bank? Question any government policies? Chances
are you already have been marked as a suspect.

Own Precious Metals – Despite the fact that the Federal Reserve
paper note (a.k.a. the dollar) is only sustained by faith, you could now
be a suspected terrorist if you would like to preserve your wealth with
something that holds real value like precious metals. And forget about
establishing an alternative currency made from silver or gold like
Bernard von NotHaus as you may be lumped into a “unique form of
terrorism.”

And now the bonus round for being registered as a potential terrorist — #11– Owning guns and ammo.
Let’s face it: you disagree with the American government colluding
with international banks to rob you blind AND you’ve armed yourself?

This also why returning veterans have also been labeled potential
terrorists — they have guns, know how to use them, and may be angry
about the lies that sent them to war.

As the Fast and Furious scandal has now revealed, it was done with a
premeditated strategy to vilify the Second Amendment to the nation’s
Constitution.

Wait — actively planning to undermine the founding document of the
country and plot criminal activity against citizens to spread fear and
increase political power? Should that be considered under the
definition of terrorism. . . .?"

Here is the source

http://theintelhub.com/2011/12/14/10...error-suspect/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN